CNC-FortX (early testing)

kira

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey everyone!
@Luhrian @Tytonium and I,   are working together in favor of  fixing the Fort map, 
we have an early version  that we would love to have you playing it (solo or on server), and give us your opinions.
any comments, recording of the map played, screenshots will be wellcomed.

please share the info  down here for better organization.

Fort1.zip

Edited by kira
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

@kiraWhen i copied the files over, the map doesn't show in-game and when I try to join a match, I get an error saying Environment mismatch or something.

Ok verified game integrity to fix the Environment problem, but the map still doesn't show in game to select. 

Edited by roweboat

• Totem Arts Staff

So it's Fort. I'm wonder what sort of changes you guys have in mind/ for planning?

All i noticed was the addition of these walls along the base entrances, which I think is a good idea.

(and of course the Medical center and TS vehicles don't work)

Fort was always one of my favorite maps, one change I feel the map needs though: The buildings take too long to get to each other.

I always thought the idea of teleporters between the buildings could be a need idea (exactly like used in Deadlywolf's Temple in Hourglass), or at the minimum unarmed transports that spawn in base (but explode if they leave the base).

20200403164704_1.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff

Future planning:

- silo paths:
create a infatry paths from silo to HON and WF. 
those paths will lead to the back side of those buildings.

- debris, destructible   fence: 
putting a debris that can be destroyed only by enemy team, and it will clear out the way to the structures.
the reason only enemy team will damage it because you and your team suppose to protect it against sneak rushes, it would keep you on your feet 
but not make you run like chicken from end to end on the map.

-arch shape tunnel near the ref:

image.thumb.png.a76b0b2c7d6172c4322c4c8f04291732.png
as you see in the picture, tanks can have direct shot into the ref (both teams) ,
so we plan to add some rock and shift it so they couldnt direct hit the ref door. 
unfortunly lots of players doesnt get the concept of keeping doors closed and in that point we trying to balance it but keep enough gap so tanks can move in.
another point is to protect from snipers that try to shoot the repair inside.

Decortaion:
we planning to put some rivers, waterfull, some thing with water.

Capturable Turrets:

now this feature a bit challanging.
you capture the fort, you get protecting turret that watch your base.

about the long distance between buildings, now its testing time maybe we can think of something to light it up.   i do not know yet about  that. 
teleporters doesnt sit with the map character, ill talk with the bois about this.

we love that map too:) 

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

This is exactly what we are planning Madkill, 
Tunnels  inside the bast itself unrelated to the exist tunnels system, 
Along with magical code that boost you to run faster while inside so you can reach buildings in time.

• Totem Arts Staff
18 minutes ago, DenWellingston said:

I did not check the card, but in my memory this card had three main problems:
1- Narrow road for equipment, especially at the entrances for bases.
2- Narrow distance between the bases.
3- Poor fort construction in the center of the map.

That's basically every feature of the current design 🤣

• 3 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Hey everyone,

just wanted to let you know that this project is still alive (or again). There will be one additional infantry path and tank path to create a better gamplay experience. Furthermore I'm reworking the whole background, which is a lot of work, but I have made some good progress now. So stay patient, Fort should come back within this year :).

Edit: Oh and did I mentioned the teleporters yet?

Edited by Luhrian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Hi Everyone!    -- UpdAtE HaS ArRivEd --
There are still bugs but for now can say teleporters are now functioning ,  
this will help traveling in your native base (will be blocked for enemy)  
so you can reach buildings just in time!

Edited by kira
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Hey Everyone !
~~~~~Update~~~~
We have completed the teleporters inside each base for it's native members traveling between buildings,
Added decoration objects and worked on the general visuals of the map , with water, trees and such.

Take a view:image.thumb.png.d7f43b3f85c6ad2d596e9fef0c513ca3.pngimage.thumb.png.808cc0370ba1ed6ad286fdbc71f4f775.pngimage.thumb.png.c0d14d68bac436674f53d7e9fe02f045.pngimage.thumb.png.15ae21c82522402295357d7d166a3a14.pngimage.thumb.png.466154210317a600fe65c2aea8278407.pngimage.thumb.png.623ef2332870285149774047bb543ecd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Happy Announcement!

We are at the last steps before completing FortX !  
You can now join Jena Testing Server to test it out Or download the files your selfs and host for your own thing ! :)
~~~~ Importent~~~~
   Keep your RX_Deco_Barrier.upk as backup somewhere, 
  FortX will need different version of it.
  so to connect other servers later, restore the backup file.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://www.mediafire.com/file/u11qdsg1egaczv4/fortx-simple+extract.zip/file

Let me know how it went so we can make it better!

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

A few observations:

I like the additional paths for vehicles and infantry. However, I would consider either moving Nod's path to the Airstrip side, or change Hon and Airstrip positions (either idea is work I know.) But currently GDI has huge advantage, and can even hit Hon with HMRLS for example.

Good on changing the direction of the HON. It's difficult to balance vs the Barracks since it has multiple openings...

I envisioned the teleporters slightly differently! (i imagined teleporters in each building with labels to other buildings) But I like your idea! a little teleporter building haha. cool. I wasn't able to test what would happen if a friendly unit opened the door with an enemy nearby. Would they be trapped inside!? D=

Interesting to add the turret with the fort capture. I wonder how that will play out. Also noticed it casts a shadow into the tunnel below.

I noticed 2 tech "wrenches" in the middle of the map, but could only find the Fort for capture? Did i miss something or forget something? I only remember 3 tech buildings originally but now see 4 icons on the map.

I didn't spend much time trying to break the map. Best to get @limsup for that 😆😅

20200811212653_1.jpg

20200811212925_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff
6 hours ago, roweboat said:

I like the additional paths for vehicles and infantry. However, I would consider either moving Nod's path to the Airstrip side, or change Hon and Airstrip positions (either idea is work I know.) But currently GDI has huge advantage, and can even hit Hon with HMRLS for example.

We can't really change the position of the vehicle path, cause the MC side is Inf only for the most part. Also it wouldn't work well with the additional Infantry Path over there. But I think we can easily fix this spot with a few additional rocks next to the new tank path. Also switching the Air and Hond around will most likely cause more problems, already fixed some bad MRLS spots where you could hit Hond from the Fort with the current base layout. Changing the direction of the Hond wouldn't really work well without any bigger changes since a 90° turn will not fit inside the base and a 180° turn will expose the building to MRLS spam even more, that Hand is just too big.

I envisioned the teleporters slightly differently! (i imagined teleporters in each building with labels to other buildings) But I like your idea! a little teleporter building haha. cool.

I think the teleporters are in a pretty good spot. A teleporter inside every building would be too OP since you would be able to get into another building in less than a second, which will make rushes and sneaking pretty much useless. So it is actually pretty important, that the teleporters are not located inside a building. Furthermore Fort didn't suffer from the distance between bar and ref or WF and ref being too big, the problem was always the huge distance between the two exterior buildings. I think I considered all of these things when I placed those teleporters, creating a good balance between having an easier time defending the base, while it won't be too hard to kill a building for the opposing team (ofc this balance needs some testing).

I wasn't able to test what would happen if a friendly unit opened the door with an enemy nearby. Would they be trapped inside!? D=

There is a trigger volume inside the building that will kill you if you have the wrong team number, this is explained with the energy shield placed there. But the doors will be removed soon, because of Kishit does not really work as desired in online play. Those energy shields will do the job too, because you can't shoot through them, but still sad, spent hours with setting this whole thing up, especially the sounds...

Interesting to add the turret with the fort capture. I wonder how that will play out. Also noticed it casts a shadow into the tunnel below.

As far as I know this turret is supposed to be removed within the next versions.

I noticed 2 tech "wrenches" in the middle of the map, but could only find the Fort for capture? Did i miss something or forget something? I only remember 3 tech buildings originally but now see 4 icons on the map.

That shouldn't happen, we will take a look inside this, thank you for reporting.

Thank you for testing, I hope I was able to explain why Fort is looking the way it is 🙃.

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

@roweboat
inside the teleporters, where you stand near the MCT's there should be a tooltip message popping out to mention the target building -  it just currently not working right on muliplayer because kisshit as my partner claimed.   I will be fixing it soon so no worries.

about the turrets, I made it so the server owner can decide if he\she wants the fort be able to spawn turrets or not.   it can be config as simple true or false in UDKFortX.ini file.
also if there is a need to be able to change this bool value on runtime of the game , I can make a console function for it so moderator can toggle it off and on. let me know.

The idea on FortX , that you must relay on teamwork to sustain your grip in the field and paths, but there is always a chance to win or lose - no matter the current situation.  
The reason i am mentioning this because we appertiate you guys downloading and testing it .   all we wanted is to get people enjoy and get excited playing Fort :)

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Excellent work!! Yes I've heard doors can be quite problematic  =(

I see that everything was well thought through. I can certainly appreciate all that!! 😃

@Luhrian @kira Just to be clear. My one concern is I think GDI tanks have quicker access to the field now than Nod tanks. But maybe this isn't a valid concern 😃 

On 8/12/2020 at 4:47 AM, roweboat said:

I didn't spend much time trying to break the map. Best to get @limsup for that 😆😅

I don't spend much time either. Results come nonetheless. Also I don't want to demotivate people so I won't come down on them like a bag of bricks ^_^YET.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...