Patch Kinda Weaksauce

Akbaro

Anyone else think that Patch is one of the weakest characters?

Without that noobtube, he would be completely useless and even with it I feel like he is far too much effort for little resolve.

Patch's derpgun must be one of the lowest velocity guns in the game, surely.

At any medium range engagement it is basically futile hitting people having spaz attacks while they likely have hitscan, or something close to it. 

Have to put all this effort to leading shots, for which there is a point its not possible to know, considering Renegade is known for being deliberately floaty.

The damage per shot seems rather low for the fuss taken to actually hit anything, and the headshot multiplier doesnt seem to make a big enough difference.

Taking out a Mendoza with Patch is pretty damn hard, whereas taking out a Noobius with an LCG is quite possible.

Honestly I think his gun should do more damage in general really, he is more of an infantry character yet the LCG seems to be better at it with the benefit of hurting vehicles too.

• Like 1

I think Patch costs the same as an LCG, but the comparison most people and devs make is that he's meant to be the GDI equivalent of an SBH. LCG and Gunner both have flak armour and can engage tanks, but the LCG has quite an advantage as it's laser can also take on infantry, but they both get cut down quite easily by anybody with a better gun or use bullets. In any case, I'd prefer we just had light armour and heavy armour classes so bullets can't make Swiss cheese of Gunner or the LCG.

I don't love the Patch by any means, but he has good speed and he's useful for taking down technician's behind enemy lines... I think. I seem to buy it somehow, I'm not sure what for, but it sometimes happens, maybe I slip, or maybe it's because I'm too broke and don't want to wait but still want to be able to kill something.

In addition to his noob tube 'nade launcher I almost feel like he should have the vanilla rocket launcher as a second sidearm choice similar to how Sydney and Ravshaw get the Tiberium Flechette gun, which Patch used to have in original Renegade, it certainly looks in keeping with his character. He can do okay damage against infantry but he can't do much to vehicles unless he finds a really soft target and shoots it from a place he can't be hit back.

I don't really think anybody expects for Patch to take out a Mendoza unless you catch one by surprise and you land the grenade first.

A faster rate of fire might be nice and a rocket launcher as a second weapon are my conclusions so he's more of a jungle warrior like one of those people from Predator.

I think Patch is far from weak. His speed and close range burst damage with the nade (which is on a really low cooldown) makes him great for controlling infantry areas. Patch is easily capable of 1v1ing any Nod character except for maybe Mendoza. And as mystic said, I don't think it makes sense to compare Patch to LCG - they're really different from each other and should be played differently. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sarie said:

The upcoming patch features balance changes that will nerf both Mobius and Mendoza. I think that is more than enough.

nerf mobius and mendoza? oO

but if i'm right, free chars have already been buffed a few months ago...

soon, i'll be able to kill doza/mobis with free soldiers? :D  

Patch have been nerfed months ago, it explains why it looks so weak

btw, if mobius and mendoza will be nerfed.. it will be time for me to increase my FPS, play osu! and use my old and dear ramjet ^_^  
and to bind alt+1 as thumb button on my mouse

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Reivax said:

nerf mobius and mendoza? oO

but if i'm right, free chars have already been buffed a few months ago...

soon, i'll be able to kill doza/mobis with free soldiers? :D  

Patch have been nerfed months ago, it explains why it looks so weak

btw, if mobius and mendoza will be nerfed.. it will be time for me to increase my FPS, play osu! and use my old and dear ramjet ^_^  
and to bind alt+1 as thumb button on my mouse

We felt they were too strong and were at near uncontestable levels if you didn't have a Mobius or Mendoza to kill the other one. Need to give other classes a decent chance at fighting and not just instantly melt people

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sarie said:

We felt they were too strong and were at near uncontestable levels if you didn't have a Mobius or Mendoza to kill the other one. Need to give other classes a decent chance at fighting and not just instantly melt people

LCG gonna be a UFO after Noobius is nerfed.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sarie said:

GDI had patch - but it had been nerfed in a previous patch
Nod had.. eh.. SBH i guess? or LCG, but they are easily shooted by snipers

well, i really need to buy me a new PC to have 60 fps and play sak because i guess my ass will be hurted more that it's already done :D

On 2/7/2020 at 1:40 AM, Akbaro said:

Anyone else think that Patch is one of the weakest characters?<...> vehicles too.

Personally I think he's a step down from vanilla Renegade in terms of anti infantry. Aiming at head height and you could melt many opponents. Underrated for sure.

Then again, the change is understandable. A tiberian flachette gun, or any other tiberian gun for that matter, just isn't GDI. It was strange enough that they had more tiberian weapons than NOD, of whom it is a signature weapon.

The change made him better at AT, which is nice. I do agree he should be more AI. I would revamp him with smaller more burst like mags, a quick reload and high effectiveness to infantry. But revamps are time consuming, so a simple better AI position should be well :) .

1 minute ago, Movoza said:

Personally I think he's a step down from vanilla Renegade in terms of anti infantry. Aiming at head height and you could melt many opponents. Underrated for sure.

Then again, the change is understandable. A tiberian flachette gun, or any other tiberian gun for that matter, just isn't GDI. It was strange enough that they had more tiberian weapons than NOD, of whom it is a signature weapon.

The change made him better at AT, which is nice. I do agree he should be more AI. I would revamp him with smaller more burst like mags, a quick reload and high effectiveness to infantry. But revamps are time consuming, so a simple better AI position should be well :) .

Well thats the thing, he is OK against tanks, but not as good as the LCG, and again arguably worse than the LCG at anti infantry.

1 hour ago, Sarie said:

Any half decent can melt an LCG. They are slow and fat.

The laser chaingun is... a laser tho ecks dee its easy to aim, has no velocity and has basically inf ammo.

I guess at close range he is a bit of a brick with a fat head but at the same time, mid-long ranges the Laser meltgun is insane.

• Totem Arts Staff

We gonna ignore that Patch A) Is actually fast enough to just leave when any fight isnt going his way, B) Actually does massive damage on hit compared to the LCG, and C) Only has to win like half of the fight. After the enemy is at 30-40% just press X and win. Patch is legit the only character I can have a positive kdr with already. 

• Like 1

Patch is a “ small Mendoza with grenade“ that costs 450 creds. It is very effective against infantry and some vehicles. If you think he is weak, than I have to say, you don‘t know how to play with it.

There are players mastering this unit to the level where you would have huge difficulties to beat them even with Doza or Mobi.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, yosh56 said:

After the enemy is at 30-40% just press X and win. Patch is legit the only character I can have a positive kdr with already. 

it's exactly why i loved to use patch to learn to aim :) it was possible for me to be useful by fighting as infantry in infantry areas w/o have negative kd 😛 

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Tytonium said:

What if Patch was just able to press x and a grenade instantly fired?

I feel as if the 2 second delay from being able to fire the grenade and fire normally should be removed.

Might I suggest taking cover before Schrott, and everyone else who lived through the dark times of uber Patch, shoot you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the original, Patch was just a better version of Sydney (who's a better grenadier) and a weaker version of Mobius. Like Sydney, he was given a tiberium weapon to counter Nod stealth as the green gas still appears on the target after they cloaked, not sure if they still do damage. This was said by Westwood. Patch was in between Gunner and Deadeye, his gun is decent against infantry and vehicles (especially artillery).

I see nothing wrong with Patch in X, he's still a better grenadier and mcfarland (the tac rifle feels like a full auto grenade launcher with a secondary grenade tube) and a mini mobius for only 450 credits. He is still a great unit to use against stealth soldiers.