Poll: Hotwires & Technicans in crates

Fffreak9999

Poll: Addition of Hotwire and Technician to the character crates after HoN/Bar destruction  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Hotwires and Technicians added to the pool of available characters once the Barracks or Hand of Nod has been destroyed?

• Yes, add them
    • No, Keep them unavailable

• Totem Arts Staff

Would you like to see the addition of Hotwires/Technicans being added to character crates once the Barracks and Hand of Nod are destroyed?

There are pros and cons attached to this.

Feedback is appreciated.

[P.S: This does not permit the classes in the spy crates, just crates that turn you into a class of your faction]

Persomally against any crate RNG mechanic thats only viable to the field/infantry path dominated (usually winning) team. The chance should be much Much lower than getting anything else then

Huh. I was thinking about this the other day.

I don't think Hotwires or Technicians should be available from crates if the Bar or HoN are destroyed. Allowing it to be obtained by crates breaks the late game strategies around hunting these characters to permanently remove mines. Unlike other infantry characters, Adv.engineers can also get full effectiveness from mining without leaving the base, encouraging a campy playstyle.

HOWEVER:

All of my problems are centred round mining. I think we could move the rest of the Adv.engineer's kit into weapon crates. Getting a second timed C4 (and only a second) or an advanced repair gun from a weapon crate isn't that gamebreaking. The latter case in particular might allow Bar/HoN-less teams to maintain a decent tank force - something that is extremely difficult to achieve currently. 

• Like 3

• Totem Arts Staff

Well the intention to add them to crates would still make them rare (rarer than even the Epic characters), since they have a larger pool to be selected from.

Other alternatives could be to add a modified hotwire/technician class which has just the standard C4 compliment (1 Timed/2 Remotes) rather than the full compliement and a recharging Proxy mine selection, instead of the full 3 available.

So you could only place 1 every 30 seconds, making them far more tactical.

• Totem Arts Staff

I think it might be a good idea. 

The fact is once the HON or Barracks go down, the chance of that team winning greatly diminishes, largely in part due to the reduced ability for that team to defend properly.

I'm all for Hotwires/ Technicians being available at all times regardless of the HON/Barracks.

Yes, on the condition of building defences changing.

I think the current building defence mechanics and method of mining is stupid, flawed, out-dated and should be upgraded with the re-imagined Renegade-X - laser trip wires, hack-able door-lock seals or auto ceiling defence turrets or cameras are all viable and more serious options for defending a building from an intruder than manual mining. If something like this were done, finding a Hotwire or technician in a crate would mean they still have at least one advance repair class unit and would not be much more irritating to the opposing team than someone finding a Mendoz or Sydney instead for example. Mines could then be re-purposed for some other task in field rather than being allowed around your own teams buildings.

I also get Xeon's point about hunting down miners, it really frustrates me seeing that one person can place all 25 or so mines, sometimes in the last remaining building. Maybe they should be limited to 6-8 mines total each maximum and then multiple defenders (near to 3) are responsible for mining buildings - assuming this remained the same. I don't like building mines at all and think there are more sensible methods for a modern game like this. In terms of small games you would be forced to choose which to protect or bluff and which to camp or be aware of.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Based on what has been mentioned so far, is the fact people don’t want the bases being able to be reminded by these units. 

How about this for an alternative arrangement.

A modified Hotwire/Technician class with access to their normal kit, except their mines have restrictions on them, so they can only be placed a certain distance from any friendly building?

This way, they could be used to defend locations like tunnels but not inside their base perimeter 

It all depends on the angel we want to project.

As a 'drop' in a crate, I doubt very much this will change very much gameplay wise - one argument I have made in the past is, when a bar or hon is destoryed the remaining hotties / techies are pigin holed into defence due to that class going away. This is an issue for both teams due to the loss of mines, but a huge hit for GDI due to SBHs. As it was pointed out already the loss of bar / hon pretty much means game over, mainly due to the loss of this class.

Hardcore RenX players will argue that the loss of the hon / bar should yeld this harsh punishment, while those more open to my line of thinking shouldn't pigin hole players into one role or void base defence so heavily.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I may just decide to mutate the changes I suggested to the Tech/Hotwire/Mining and see how they pan out. It may be worth the testing of it. 

Especially since the change to the mines would make mines a more aggressive option rather than defensive since there is further to run before a refill or changed to a recharged refill.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I think another issue:

A skilled player with a Tech / Hotwire is deadliest unit in the game. WHY? - Advanced repair gun + remote c4 + timed c4.

What if once Barracks/ Hon is destroyed, instead of completely removing the Hotwire/Tech class, remove weapons. ie. remote c4 and timed c4.

That leaves them with advanced repair gun, prox mines and pistol. Still has all defensive capabilities while very limited offensive powers.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
55 minutes ago, roweboat said:

What if once Barracks/ Hon is destroyed, instead of completely removing the Hotwire/Tech class, remove weapons. ie. remote c4 and timed c4.

It doesn't make sense to remove the weapons available to the base class. I don't mind dropping the timed c4 to balance out the remaining proxy c4 option, but it seems a little too heavy handed, since C4 is used as a defensive tool to kill invaders inside buildings and remoting vehicles inside the base.

• Like 1

A lot of things in crates are over powered / unbalanced, such as epic units -- but that is the whole point of them being in said crate, its random and unprodictable.

Adding hotwires / techies to the mix really won't change very much in the grand scheme of things as the primary source aka the bar / hon has been destoryed anyway, lets also not forget the risk factor of getting your newly crate spawned hotwire / techy back to base alive dodging snipers, tanks and SBHs.

My point is, if you do manage to get back alive -- its going to be a very dull and boring game for you as you will be pretty much forced into base defence and re-mining duties for the entire session.

• Like 1