Survival mode - Suggestions?

crazfulla

So the new Survival mode is proving popular, what are everyone's thoughts on it? I'm not the one making it BTW, just asking people's opinions.

I would think that it could benefit from having the number of bots that spawn (or the bot difficulty or something) scale to the number of players. For example, when there are only 2 or 3 people on (lets be real this is a lot of the time in RenX) it is virtually impossible to win all 12 waves. But when you have 20 odd people, it seems too easy (just camp the bar entrance in a mammy).

Edited by crazfulla

I like it. General thoughts:

- Remove some trees at the back of the bar. It's super easy to get your mammy stuck there.

- Reduce the fog/lighten the map. Getting constantly headshot by enemies you cant actually see sort of sucks.

- More highground for defenders, maybe some catwalks or something.

- Epic characters as bosses

- AI Raveshaw can't shoot?

- Nod vs waves of GDI when?

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

3 hours ago, MajesticSausage said:

Epic characters as bosses

This is the case already

3 hours ago, MajesticSausage said:

- Remove some trees at the back of the bar. It's super easy to get your mammy stuck there.

- Reduce the fog/lighten the map. Getting constantly headshot by enemies you cant actually see sort of sucks.

- More highground for defenders, maybe some catwalks or something.

Map is not finalized, it was a proof of concept map, which we took advantage of the script being included in the patch which allowed it to run.

4 hours ago, MajesticSausage said:

- Nod vs waves of GDI when?

When a map is set up to do it, the framework is built, so it just needs a map built for it.

3 hours ago, Handepsilon said:

Lone wolf defense is hard... but not impossible. At least not until Wave 12. I've actually managed to survive that long on my own. Just spam those reinforcement and you should be good lol

But you made the thing lol, so you have inside knowledge. Not sure how the "average" RenX player will cope.

Well this is why I asked if the wave numbers could be matched to the number of people in the game. i.e. 1 player, first wave only consists of 10-15 attackers and so on, or whatever is necessary. When more people join the wave numbers increase proportionally so things become harder. I understand it's meant for more people, but this way you can at least get the server seeded with one or two people until more join without it being defeat ever time.

Like Handepsilon said, it already scales proportionally with the number of players defending. However, it is made easier with more people because one person does not have to fill all the roles at once. When you have multiple people, you can afford to have one or two reps on the bar while still having people able to fight - not so with only one defender. That is how it becomes easier with more players.

EDIT: You could make it scale non-linearly... But at some point you make it more complex than it should be.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

image.png.dc12ee3a4324505920e118604c961cd8.png

This is what it currently is like atm

The problem here is because you need to keep buildings repaired while also taking out the tanks taking shots at the building. One player cannot do both, so you have to rely on base defenses and support power doing the thing

Its a great addition, I had a blast with it!

I would like to see some form of objective / direction though instead of endless waves of mobs. Perhaps a chance to 'beat it?' have a cap on the waves, say 20? Then you automatically win.

It would also be nice to have a few more maps on the menu as well, aside from that I think it is a solid game mode.

There already is a cap to the waves - you beat it if you beat Wave 12. As to the lack of maps... The scripts weren't supposed to be released, but since they were, the one map that was mostly done was released as well so the community could test it. More maps are planned.

And I agree - I really enjoy it.

• Totem Arts Staff

It's less about scaling and more on how the base game works (this is also the reason why low pop games really sucks if you can't attack). A pair of recon bikes can already cause one player to scramble. If I really want to make it 100% viable for single player, I'd be removing all kinds of vehicle wave in the game mode when there's only one player.

• Like 2