Diary of an Unknown GDI Engineer

isupreme

As usual i am not sure why i am here.   I have no idea why this scrap of land even matters....    I only know that i struggle along with my team of misfits to hold this land.

My first day here was nothing glorious.  My shift began early and i spent most of the day repairing vehicles in the field.   I guess it could be worse.   I could be stuck staring at a MCT all day.     I died several times, but this computer assisted regeneration is pretty sweet.   At one point we seemed to be advancing, heck we even took the silo !  But then things got really hot and we had to pull back to defensive positions.   I spent most of the rest of the day dancing behind a rock.    Well, at least these uniforms come equipped with some music.... if  you can call it that.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just dont get it.  Why the hell would someone get out of their vehicle on the open field?   Have they never seen an SBH?     Today as i was running to the front i came up on an empty tank.  Just frickin sittin there.   As i jumped in, OFC,  i saw the remains of its former occupant nearby...        Well, no surprise really.    Sometimes i find entertainment in the sheer stupidity of my  GDI.     Maybe that makes it even more fun when they actually work together and achieve progress..   ..    .    I guess that is why i do what i do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another dismal day..       They didn't tell me how expensive it would be to purchase new versions of me.   My team parked the harvester in a desperate attempt to deny the enemy easy points.     I spent lots of time healing, but made little money.   When i did get enough to invest in a hotwire i often died.      Note to self:  Remember to find cover on the field and don't be in a hurry to chase those tanks that don't even see me try to help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blank page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blank page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

strange scribbles that seem to relate to  team  credits / personal credits  + work performed = my value.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT LAST!      Today i see the light!    { Another day another battle. }    Our forces killed their cow ( harvester)  and i managed to  JUST BARELY!  keep our Cow alive.   A few brave soldiers swatted at the  attackers and my fellow engineers  kept it alive!    YEah !.   I watched the map and listened on the team channel to what  was happening.    Someone reported that  harvester was under attack and my teammates responded with FORCE!     I knew it was a good sign, and the battle quickly turned our way.     Ofc, as a team player i quickly supported the early front we established and  field dominance was ours.     By the time i made it back to base for an upgrade the fate of this battle was known to all.... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blank page

Edited by isupreme
scribblies too small
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Post Battle Entry

I'm not sure which i prefer to work with, vehicles or infantry.    It is so easy to fall in behind some armor and help push.   That's like support 101 Right?   But truth be told, i enjoy supporting the hell out of any vehicle that is actively pushing out.  ( freakin campers.... i will never understand their minds....   )   So Hey!  I say push the local front lines out and keep them alive and that will give the enemy something to think about.

..   but then again there is the infantry...   a whole nother story.   Hard as hell to help, but when our forces are Really really pushing it hard,  they seem to be the KEY.   Best i can figure so far is to find some cover near the front and offer support.   While it is tempting to heal those who are hurt and falling back, it feels more productive to heal the infantry at the very front , the ones getting hurt as they make the enemy feel the pain.    

But the infantry dance so fast and my repair beam is so narrow. ...  sigh....      

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

rotated out to a remote base.   where?   hell i don't have a clue.   The terrain is familiar, but somehow not.     ofc the base is the base is the base.  This building here, that one there..   .       .

Today i found my sense of humor.    I guess i lost it in the middle of the first battle i was in.    The intensity of the gunfire, the blasts and smoke... not totally sure which was the front.     Maybe i am the worst soldier, maybe  i am the best.    When our forces took the field i gave myself over completely to pushing nod back into their base.  I was relentless.    I repaired every vehicle i could find ahead of me.   Heck even some infantry if the time was right.  ! success!   we pushed into their base and defeated them.

but then here i am again doing the same old thing.   another day.   same old shit. different day.  same old shit.   It starts to feel like a grind.   I push and my team just goofs around.   We manage to take the field only to give it up.   I want to win, but in the end i wonder what difference it makes.    Maybe i am letting these noobs get to me.    I was warned not to expect too much from the others.  

And then Today.    Another push.   ofc i am helping the vehicles, but as i tend to do lately, i am also helping the infantry.   Its a hard push under constant fire from the enemy, but we are holding it together.   And then there is this grenadier who has run up and joined us.    Seriously?  A grenadier?   I am healing two mediums, a mrls and assorted infantry... all under fire... and here comes this grenadier trying to help.     Ofc he quickly gets hit and is in the yellow.   

I don't know why .. but i heal him.   he gets hurt and again i heal him.  it does not take much to do.   The next thing i know he is really out there trying to change the tide of the game.     I think to myself..  this must  be a new player who is for the first time experiencing the power of being backed up by teamwork.      It is clear they are pumped up as they dance around deliver fire to the enemy.    I can not help but laugh.  And laugh i did as i proceeded to support him in the rush that ensued.   .  laughing all the way.

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hanging out with other engineers today.  We usually get only a very short break between battles to talk a bit, but today the pace of fighting slowed and many of us gathered at the rec center.    Some played games, some pumped iron, and the ones in the far corner looked a bit wobbly although it sounded like they were having fun.. especially when a wave of hotwires fresh from battle strode in.

I have started to see a trend.   When the talk turns to battle the engineers seem to fall into different groups.   Some utilize their skill the entire game. Damn they are some hardcore folk.  The few the dedicated. 

But,  Most engineers are what i call Need based players.  I am in that group.   We see what is happening to our base, or to our team and we step into the role of engineer because we know it is the time for an engineer.   

Among needs based engineers the discussion will usually wind up being: what actions by engineers have the most benefit?

So i have been thinking about what makes a good engineer.  

1  .if you are a basic engineer you are expendable, so get out there and back up your team or take a silo.

2  .if you are a Hotwire or  a Technician   - stay alive and stay useful.    find cover and use it. establish defensive positions with mines.

3.  try to always support the teammate who is at the point and taking damage.     Follow rules 1,2.

4.  you can run and save that building.... you can do it.                                                   Ignore rules 1,2.

5.  Watch the flow of battle.   BELIEVE! that If you pick the right situation to act on......you can change the outcome of a battle or the war.

Tonight i will be attending the  Engineer Guild meeting. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Nice!

The Engineers meeting was superlative.   What a great group of people to know.   I am almost drunk on the comraderie.  I will admit to enjoying the conversation of snipers... sometimes i learn a few things, but they are a weird bunch.    And OFC, every tanker BBQ is like family.  After all, i spend a lot of time supporting them, and the good ones appreciate the effort.  .   ....  but engineers..... they are a interesting bunch. .. and their  gatherings are a delight...    So many intricately delicious foods, complex games and .....So many great stories of teamwork and perseverance. 

I am thankful to be counted among their number.  To get here was not easy.   But luck was with me when i found a mentor who recommended me.  REP # 87  spoke up for me.   After passing inspection and testing  i was given the honorific of  being  REP  # 100.   Apparently there is great importance in that number.   REP # 3  has given me tacit approval to recommend  players for the group.  The code  124816 allowed me to access the REP database.

REP,  btw  is short for:  RenegadeX  Engineers Program.

I was talking with REP # 52 who had clearly spent much time on the battlefield.  I listened as one after another the stories were spectacular in drama, detail and in importance.    Between musical entertainments our talk turned to engineering.  One person stated that the Great3st! of all Engineers!  was a gent who saved his base from utter destruction.   Another engineer swore that the repair work she did with the injured was critical to her team's survival.   After much talk we were deep in our drinks and i ventured my opinion.     I stated my greatest engineering efforts lay in supporting the front lines as they fought.     Cmon! i argued.  They need it the most.   Keep the tip of the spear sharp!   At first i thought i would find argument and debate worthy of engineers.   But shockingly they feel silent. In their faces i saw the tale.  Many of them had enjoyed and suffered in support of the front lines...

To those who Lead!     I shouted.      To those who Lead!   came the response. 

As one we lifted our glasses and drank a quiet toast to our team, and to our fellow engineers and the teams we support, be they GDI or NOD.

As the celebration wound down, i wondered. 

I wondered if there are any more engineers out there who find glory in support, fun in front line action, and value in defensive mining....... ...

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

R.E.P. # 101  isupreme

Log for REP.

Its Great to be a member of REP!    Since the meeting i have been waiting for news.    !   I am proud to be a part of the most important group of players in the war.    Turn the Tide!   See you on the battle field, if not in front of you then behind

Log, private.

today as i fought i was wondering...

Engineering can be fun and it can be boring.    No engineer alive  wants to stand and constantly repair a building.  The fun in engineering is being in the mix of battle and thru teamwork the tides of war can change.   It is an awesome experience to see your team falling back in the face of fire - only to find engineer repairs and the chance to regroup and resist.     Or helping another player who is taking the point and giving them hell.     All good fun.

so why are there not more teamwork based abilities ?    Why is only engineers get to engage in this teamwork?     I can see why basic repair abilities are available to all...   " everyone wants to feel like they are helping out" .   

But it seems like there must be more teamwork possible between infantry...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Last night's REP meeting was boring.     More of the same old line:   We live for teamwork!   blah blah...

But after the meeting concluded I ran into  #017.   What an interesting woman.   Vast experience in battle and a great sense of humor.     Makes me think a sense of humor might be a requirement for longevity in this arena.   We fell into talking like old friends.   It took me a while to understand some of her points.  One in particular she returned to again and again.    Engineers make dreams come true.   Every other story got sprinkled with this comment.

"Why do you keep saying that?  I asked.  With a smile in her eyes she explained.    "  Because any  battle plan a player has can be made possible with an engineer.    Let's  say they want to take the field but there is strong resistance from the enemy.    An engineer can help with that.   Are the Front lines collapsing and only one tank to stop the enemy advance?  There is an engineer who can help with that (Probably a Hotwire).  Dreams of sneaking into the enemy base and destroying it completely?   There is an engineer  for that."     I started to see what she meant.       Engineers do make dreams come true..

• 10 months later...

Why? do i find fun in helping the players who are lost in the game?   Why?    It is not like this riflemaj is really gonna change the tide of war. Clearly he is lost in this game.   { I even check and see this player has Plenty of Credits }   This dude is just out here with the big boys blasting away.....       I cannot resist healing them.       Ya I keep the medium alive because that is what REPs do,   but any chance i get... I am healing this player..     Why?   WhY must i do this....

• 1 year later...

REp  Log.  Entry 523.

Some Fav memes from fellow REP members.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STAnd StiLL wont ya!!!!!!

Why am I out in front?

Won't someone think of the Cow ??? !??

This building is so doooooommmmed.

• 2 weeks later...

I read your diary with fascination and am intrigued by the story of the GDI engineer. Your description of his daily life and work at a GDI corporation just captures the imagination. It's great how you pay attention to detail and create an atmosphere that keeps the reader immersed in your character's world. I would like to thank you for your talent and creativity in writing this diary. You skillfully convey emotion and create an intriguing atmosphere that makes me look forward to the next chapter. I was also struck by your description of technology and its application in the GDI world. It is interesting and inspires me to think about the possibilities of the future and technological development. I look forward to continuing your journal and learning more about the adventures and discoveries of a GDI engineer. Thank you so much for sharing your talent and unique world with us.

Edited by ElsaPhelps
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

You know that funky smell you get when you use a repair tool?    I never gave it much thought.    O sure we were warned that it was toxic and to something to avoid.   But the other day a REP member cornered me after the meeting with a lot to say.   In short, it was his opinion that the fumes were addictive.   WTH ?  He went on and on about the possible side effects of doing repairs.   I politely listened, tho frankly skeptical.   But one thing he said has stuck in my head.    "Why?   Why do you think folks stand at the building  MCT and repair and repair and repair?   Why do they do it sometimes when the building is not even damaged?   Why I ask you ?    It is because they are Addicted to the Fumes!"

Now I am wondering. . ..  Maybe my habit of doing repair work out in the open air has spared me from this?

• 8 months later...

Well, I joined the Pistol club.  The most under valued weapon but these people build sport around it.   They  seem like nice folk, often cracking jokes and making fun.   Why they enjoy meeting in an old warehouse didn't make much sense until I found they had installed a target range.    Nice.  

At first I did not understand the value of using a pistol, but this club has helped.  They said over and over :   See the bullet, be the bullet.  Now I see that it is important to  actually SEE the bullet's path and impact.   Now that I SEE the bullet my aim has vastly improved.  My ability to defend myself is much better.   Of course they emphasized the importance of Head shots.  

It makes me wonder why GDI or Nod do not have target ranges to practice more.   I would love to see a target range for grenades or Apaches.   Instead of madly firing at my enemy in a battle and the battle making it hard to see the projectile, or if it was me who did the damage .. .... a target range lets me learn the capabilities of my weapon to a finer degree.

Edited by isupreme