Dedicated server requirements

XAOC

Quick question, what i can expect from VPS server like this ? How much players can it handle without issues ?

CPU: 1 x 2.60 GHz

RAM: 2 GB

Storage: 20 GB SSD

Bandwidth: 2 TB

Port speed: 100 Mbps

Available OS: Windows 2012 / 2016 / 2019

Virtualization: KVM

Guest once upon the time

Is the SSD the only Storage?

Is the Serversystem Windows (doesnt matter yet which one) on it or you must install it too? The new Serversystems needs more space.

I ask because when its your only storage could be very very small. Dont know yet how many GB Ren x has.

on the other hand 2 GB RAM is very low, should work but.....

I think would be hard to run  with 16.

Hard to say  because depends on your internet connection too.

• Totem Arts Staff

Can you get a server to run under Linux: Yes, but it is a pain in the butt to do, trust me I've ran the servers in Linux and the random bugs and issues we have come across is annoying.

However in terms of rough windows PC/server specs to host a server

From a bit of testing (with various server hosting levels)

Low Population (Sub 30)
    High Single Core Performance with a minimum recommended 2.7 GHz core.

Medium Population (Up to 40 Players and vehicles)
    High Single Core Performance with a minimum recommended 3.2 GHz core.

High Population (Up to 50 players and Vehicles)
    High Single Core Performance with a minimum recommended 3.5 GHz core.

Mainstream Server (64 Players and maximum vehicles)
    High Single Core Performance with a minimum recommended 3.8+ GHz core, but high as you as can possibly go is better, with the diminishing returns at 4.2~4.4GHz where you tend not to notice any better  performance.

Universal Specs:
    You want at least 4GB of RAM for a single server (recommend giving at least 6GB (if you want to use a 64 bit server) to ensure that you have enough), as more players and larger maps makes use of
    SSD is recommended, but a good HDD will perform just as well, it will just take a little longer to load up.
    Network Speed - This is very important, but as long as you have a good upload speed (At 100Mb or higher (to take into account if you want to host custom content such as mutators and maps) then this will be more than sufficient, although if you only plan to host a LAN server or a small group server you can get away with a lot lower).

image.png.517b6a668adea92bfca4e18e419022ee.png

This server I have highlighted is running Mesa with a few bots and 1 player, and is already using 4GB of RAM, but it won't normally increase much more than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Fffreak9999, exactly what i wanted to know !

Maximum that i can get is this Unmanaged Windows VPS:

CPU: 2 cores @ 2.60 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Storage: 80 GB SSD

Bandwidth: 8 TB

Port speed: 1 GB/ps

Available OS: Windows 2012 / 2016 / 2019

Virtualization: KVM

Annual price is 204 USD

EDIT: How much bandwidth does the server eat monthly with 64/64 without mutators. Estimated playtimes would be from 5 PM-1 AM. In other words am I good with 8TB bandwidth

Edited by XAOC

• Totem Arts Staff

Yeah, unfortunately many places don't offer good Windows VM packages.

I know many of the EU servers that currently run, use OVH (which as a massive server hosting platform, they tend to offer very good deals and widespread network infrastructure.)

You will likely find that many places do not offer good CPU VPS servers, since the majority of tasks that they tend to cater for are web platform related stuff, not gaming.

Although if you want a VPS that is quite popular (although slightly pricy from what I remember), you can try NFO

• 7 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
49 minutes ago, Epicalyx said:

Is there a gauge or metric to indicate how much bandwidth you need per player? For example, what would a 10mbit (symmetric) be good enough for?

The overall usage on server side is quite low. You will never see over 10MBps even with a full server. A 100-1000MBps connection would be plenty.

37 minutes ago, Sarie said:

The overall usage on server side is quite low. You will never see over 10MBps even with a full server. A 100-1000MBps connection would be plenty.

10Mbit can handle 64 players? For real??

And, is Windows Server 2019 (Server Core) supported?

Is it really true that 64-bit dedicated server is unsupported?

Edited by Epicalyx