Positive responses to a crisis

isupreme

I would like to use  radio buttons or  the Q ability to positively respond to a crisis.   Is this possible somehow?

When we hear cries of ! defend the power plant! it would be great to hear some responses from the team.   

I kinda can use :  Affirmitve!     but that is so general it gets lost in the information clutter.  

maybe somethings like this?  :

Im on my way,  or  Responding to Power plant...   .  I see a problem!     I am on that problem!    Problem solved!     or       BAck UP requested!

Especially in small player count games these types of  back and forth responses could really communicate a lot and enable a small team to be aware of what the other players are doing.   It might help when small player count is on a Big map.  

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
24 minutes ago, roweboat said:

Would be great, when you Q spot a occupied vehicle it would say something like "I need a ride!" Or "wait for me!"

Can't tell if this is a troll or not, but this already exists.

We have been discussing ways to refactor radio commands and add more contextual commands. We haven't come to any clear decision yet.

It would be useful if the Q-spot function could tag a building with a bit more contextual information say if you press and hold it, reveals more options - maybe it creates an icon above the building of say a Spanner/Wrench for Repairs and maybe something like a yellow or red exclamation mark for missing mines caution or intruder/critical health. The text information in the feed is useful, but it easily gets lost in all the spam messaging, kill feeds and whatever else is going on in there and an icon is easy to understand without need to read.

• Thanks 2

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, buttons said:

We have been discussing ways to refactor radio commands and add more contextual commands. We haven't come to any clear decision yet.

The voice command is the "Follow me" voice. Sometimes people understand that, other times not so much.

If you're an infantry player and you Q spot a vehicle it says something like "Hold Position" (Player x requesting a ride), if you're in a vehicle and you Q spot an infantry player it says something like "Get in the vehicle" (Passenger requested) and if you're a player/vehicle and you Q spot another inf player or another tank it will say "Follow me". I might have miss-quoted something, but that's the gist of it... I agree with the sentiment of the original post as I'm sure building spotting can be made more intelligent though. I remember what it was like before q spot and needing to remember all the hot keys for the radio commands.

Something which i wanted to post as a new thread for a long time:
The voice announcer is, especially, with more than 40 players often behind the events in the game and thus almost useless : (yes i know its like old ren but still it could be better)

• Some of the voice samples use redundant wording and should be shortened (Example: Nod Tiberium Refinery/Silo, GDI Weapons Factory.., The extra long Silo Voice sample which is outdated, Nuclear Strike Beacon deployed, Nuclear Strike approaching...)
  • The "building is under attack" is far too early (even if only 1 shot with soldier) and almost always useless as it is often in the cooldown when the real attack happens. Would be better above a threshold (>5% or something)
  • Maybe remove the building repaired messages, because everyone that cares will take a look and for everyone else its just another voice spam.
  • Announcer of produced vehicles should be only heard in base (or if it is your own vehicle)
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
10 hours ago, TheOlsenTwins said:

The "building is under attack" is far too early (even if only 1 shot with soldier) and almost always useless as it is often in the cooldown when the real attack happens. Would be better above a threshold (>5% or something)

I believe we have this done intentionally, as it produces an element of surprise and means base defenders need to pay attention to not just the announcer, but other UI elements and visuals to see what is the true target.

Doesn't mean it can't be changed, but thats what the case is at the moment.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 10/14/2019 at 12:20 AM, roweboat said:

The voice command is the "Follow me" voice. Sometimes people understand that, other times not so much.

I'm pretty sure for the ride request, the voice command was 'Hold Position'

On 10/15/2019 at 2:31 AM, TheOlsenTwins said:

The "building is under attack" is far too early (even if only 1 shot with soldier) and almost always useless as it is often in the cooldown when the real attack happens. Would be better above a threshold (>5% or something)

Actually it's 1% decrease before the building is announced as 'Under Attack'. Merely poking it with a soldier doesn't trigger it until it actually loses a percentage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roweboat said:

Either way, the point still stands that the current system is a bit confusing at times because there is no directional cue as the where the sound is coming and because many of the same voice clips being used for different things

Affirmative.
Affirmative.
Take the point!
Affirmative.                                                   Watch where you're pointing that! 

Edited by euan-missile
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, buttons said:

What you need to do is get right alt and right control working for voice commands. It's awkward as hell while trying to use one hand to left ctrl-0.

Is it an engine limitation or something?

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr said:

What you need to do is get right alt and right control working for voice commands. It's awkward as hell while trying to use one hand to left ctrl-0.

Is it an engine limitation or something?

It can be done easily through the input config. Didn't know anyone wanted those keys to do that.

I still struggle to use the two buttons.    A couple i can do with body memory, but most are hard to accomplish or i only use when i can use two hands at that moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also,   RE use of q:   We use q to alert the team to problems.   What if there was another button, with positive sounds, which we used to notify the team the problem is being responded to, or  problem is fixed.   

I like the idea of holding down the Q button to bring up an expanded list of options. If you go down that route be sure to include some for enemies and enemy structures. For example have one for "Please God don't fire at the airstrip because I am currently waiting for my C4 to blow up and if you start shooting at it you will compromise me and doom all of us you fools!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Please god! Please!

There is this bit of hope from earlier in the thread.

Actually it's 1% decrease before the building is announced as 'Under Attack'. Merely poking it with a soldier doesn't trigger it until it actually loses a percentage

P.s.e.  ( post script edit)     expanding Q.....  hmmmmm

Edited by isupreme

• Totem Arts Staff
13 hours ago, Tytonium said:

I like the idea of holding down the Q button to bring up an expanded list of options. If you go down that route be sure to include some for enemies and enemy structures. For example have one for "Please God don't fire at the airstrip because I am currently waiting for my C4 to blow up and if you start shooting at it you will compromise me and doom all of us you fools!"

Need that exact message please.

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:30 PM, buttons said:

It can be done easily through the input config. Didn't know anyone wanted those keys to do that.

Those keys have always done that by default in original Renegade. I mean just think about it, how the hell is your hand gonna hold Ctrl while reaching for 0? This is a busy game so my right hand is needed on the mouse at all times aiming and shooting at people. If my left hand could use the right side Ctrl & Alt for hitting those 7, 8, 9 and 0's then we'd all be gud.

lol first the NOD misnomer and now this lack of thought. Did you even play original Renegade? Come on.

Naw it's cool I'm just busting your chops. Anyways, in Ren X if anyone changes their crouch keybind from C to Ctrl (like it is in most FPS's) then they lose their Ctrl radio commands. I've never played with this game engine before, but just glancing thru the input config file I see there's multiple entries for one keybind. It's a mess to look at. Can't you just get all the keybind entries listed in the in-game options menu? Why aren't all the keybinds present in the options menu in the first place?

Edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

• Totem Arts Staff
On 10/25/2019 at 6:13 PM, DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr said:

Naw it's cool I'm just busting your chops. Anyways, in Ren X if anyone changes their crouch keybind from C to Ctrl (like it is in most FPS's) then they lose their Ctrl radio commands. I've never played with this game engine before, but just glancing thru the input config file I see there's multiple entries for one keybind. It's a mess to look at. Can't you just get all the keybind entries listed in the in-game options menu? Why aren't all the keybinds present in the options menu in the first place?

I couldn't tell you why developers before me didn't add configurable inputs to the settings menu. Depending on what exactly you're talking about, key binds in child classes should override those of parent classes, but I don't know exactly which binds you are talking about. 

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I think he's referring to the use of "ctrl + 1-0" and "alt + 1-0" for radio commands. 

Yes they have been the same for like 15 years. 

Yes they can be changed in the .ini files, but most people won't know how to do that.

Making the radio commands full editible in the in-game UI would help alot of players I think.

Here's a good example:

Base under attack from EMP and 1 attacker. All hear the warning. 1 hotwire/tech is in the building and has building readily defended. In stead of spamming BUILDING NEEDS REPAIR/ DEFEND THE BUILDING ... a better response is (i think this is right...) ctrl + 9 which is I'M IN POSITION, which is sort of communicating.. "don't come here, I've got it under control".

But it can be kind of tricky to hit ctrl + 9 in almost any situation. lol

• Like 1

"I think he's referring to the use of "ctrl + 1-0" and "alt + 1-0" for radio commands." 

Yes that was the first thing I mentioned in this thread. Right Alt and right Ctrl should do the same as left Alt and left Ctrl, which are voice commands, radio commands.

@buttons Lets try this again: Using your left hand to press the left Alt and Ctrl keys while reaching for the number 9 key with the same hand is a bitch. I don't wanna take my right hand off of the mouse to hit the number key while my left hand is holding down Ctrl. That leaves me vulnerable. I just want both sets of Ctrl & Alt keys to function just as they did in original Renegade.

If anyone could tell me what to do in the input config file to assign right Alt and right Ctrl keybinds for radio commands that would be great, and in the future, if the current devs could look into what the previous devs missed out on (putting ALL configurable keybinds into the options menu) that'd be great. One time I reassigned Ctrl to crouch and then lost all my Ctrl radio commands. I had to default everything which was annoying.

Not a huge deal but it would be a very welcome quality-of-life improvement.

• Totem Arts Staff

At the bottom of the "[RenX_Game.Rx_PlayerInput]" section in UDKInput.ini

Bindings=(Name="RightAlt",Command="GBA_Radio1",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="RightControl",Command="GBA_Radio0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

• Thanks 1

I copied and pasted those two lines to the end of that section but then none of my keybinds worked in-game, not even the mouse worked, so I had to Ctrl Alt Delete end process then delete the UDKInput and start fresh.

But after looking thru all the entries in UDKInput I found the left alt and left ctrl code, and I just copied it but changed left to right and radio1 to radio0.