Sunrise map - rubbish GT coverage

crazfulla

The guard towers on Sunrise, particularly the GDI one, are trash at dealing with early infantry rushes. A single tech can swim right past in plain sight of it. I'm not sure why they were even put there if they can be so easily negated. Kinda broken if you ask me, and possibly a balance issue.

Possible actions that could be taken include:

• Putting the guard towers closer to the water (hopefully they don't still have issues shooting players in water)
  • Putting a softkill zone in the water (similar to how they are used on lakeside to keep players within the map)
  • Removing the rear guard towers altogether (just let infantry run riot since the front path is such a bottleneck)

Thoughts?

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Swimming in water is intentional. Nothing can shoot through water. They can be moved to guard the back of the buildings, but then whats the point of having them in the first place if they guard the doors exactly? May as well just put walls up so you can't access the buildings from that area. They aren't supposed to be an "end-all" defense, just something to help.

If I make any changes at all, I will probably be changing a lot more than just that 1 bit, and probably refactoring the entire tank part of the map, since it seems kinda lame anyway.

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Kind of agree with OP..... Being able to completely bypass them to hit one of GDI'S most important buildings is quite annoying, especially since the best GDI can do is maybe run into PP safely if they use the trees for cover. Their GT definitely should cover more than just.... the PP, and the shore could be shallower, so as not to allow swimming except when in the OOB zone. As it stands it's kind of broken 

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Overall I feel the map has great potential. I like the rear vehicle paths are great for covert attacks. and the idea to be able to sneak in from the water is cool too.

I think the comms. tower is situated too far away from the battlefield.

Beyond what was said, I think the front GTs and the front turrets shouldn't be reachable by infantry from the front wall. 

I love the look of the map and I remember the original two with great fondness. I played fanmade whenever I could, since there were so few fanmap servers. No auto downloader and all that.

The 'not being able to shoot players in water' thing sounds 100% broken to me. Pretty sure that wasn't an issue in original rene (though it had plenty of others).

Also It is fairly easy to kill the back GT so no, I don't see it as the same as putting up walls so you can't get to the Refinery etc at all. Nor as a "end all" thing because in RenX even the AGT isn't on some maps (Under). Plus I'm thinking people could just use smoke... that does work on GTs right?

I'm just wondering why Nod get both gun turrets and guard towers in the right places, where as GDI only gets guard towers? GDI seem to struggle on this map with destroying tank armour outside the base and I bet even replacing them with gun turrets on the main wall would be enough to detect SBH, or maybe place an additional guard tower guarding the half from the nearside corner opposite the power plant with a partial view of both entrances.

I don't mind the water swimming being able to bypass the guard tower near the power plant, there used to be something similar you could do on Gold Rush, and there needs to be a legitimate way of sneaking into the base to give Nod their covert options.

3 hours ago, buttons said:

Not being able to shoot in/out of water is not a map specific thing, that's how it is on every other map in RenX. I will look into moving stuff around so defense is easier

I didn't say or presume they were. I'm just not too familiar with RenX and it's quirks. Interesting to know.

1 hour ago, Mystic~ said:

I'm just wondering why Nod get both gun turrets and guard towers in the right places, where as GDI only gets guard towers? ...

I'm presuming for the sake of balance. Turrets are somewhat less effective against infantry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Gave GDI turrets on front wall, moved the GDI GT closer to the beach, pulled in the blocking volumes on the river so you can't go as far out (i would do the out of map things like others have, but i dont know how to use that volume).

Lowered brightness of both tib fields.

Reduced overall foginess of certain areas of the map.

Rotated comm center 180degrees. Opened a path to the comm center right behind the comm center.

Removed chromatic aberration;

Missing any changes or any suggestions?

image.thumb.png.0b66c4f0ff21ca119f12f78358ad4df9.png

image.thumb.png.faef9e8d0e6d97681093c17beecfea9f.png

image.thumb.png.1ea1a5e78d09476b1fc8ba1fbc397649.png

Edited by buttons
added images and other info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds decent. Turrets are (imo) more of an anti vehicle defence so they would be more useful up front. Though I wonder how easy it will be for sbh to sneak past them.

For the sake of balance, take a glance at the positioning of rocks people can use as cover when shooting the GTs. GDI side, from memory, has less cover than Nod side. Moving the GT may increase the line of sight so maytbe add some extra cover.