A thread with some VERY unpopular opinions

Quinc3y

Field is a decent map, it is walls that is over rated imo. One of the worst stalemate maps from the original game yet one of the most played in RenX... yeah makes sense. Also Toxicity was great before the terrain got messed up and turned into what looks like a poorly scaled heightmap import (not to mention the TS vehicles).

Edited by crazfulla
  • Confused 1

If we talk about unpopular opinions...

Stalemates are AWESOME. It means the game is in balance, that both teams can get an advantage but have to use everything they've got to win.

The big problem that I see is that there are stalemates and Stalemates. For example when one team is camping out in front of the base and doesnt actually use this position to attack but only farms points from that one building they can safely shoot. If they at least took a risk in order to destroy something everyhing would be OK and you can have fun going back and forth trying to achieve something difficult and feeling good about succeeding once in a while. If they dont you get the boring farmer slugmatch where the defenders try to push the attackers off from a bad position and nothing happens.

The best match I've ever played in Renegade was a 3 day long marathon map on Under where the defenses and vehicles were taken down, meaning just infantry and crate vehicles. It was fun, it had tons of organized attacks and struggles to achieve a good position to start an attack from. Sadly players will now vote for the next map if a single turret is destroyed.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Demigan said:

The best match I've ever played in Renegade was a 3 day long marathon map on Under where the defenses and vehicles were taken down, meaning just infantry and crate vehicles. It was fun, it had tons of organized attacks and struggles to achieve a good position to start an attack from. Sadly players will now vote for the next map if a single turret is destroyed.

3 days? you really mean.. 3 days? o_O

36 minutes ago, Reivax said:

3 days? you really mean.. 3 days? o_O

Yes. Literally 3 days. And normally population dropped to 30 or something during the day and back to 128 (that was the limit I think?) During the evening. But during these 3 days it was full around the clock. I logged back on so many times to find it still there, it was wonderful.

128 players? o_O
3 days o_O
oh god! we need that on Renegade X!
i'll try to reach 1k kills in less than 24 hours and 100k score in 48 hours :D
the longest game i've seen on RenX was Under for around 7 hours, but it was 2 or 3 years ago :/ 

• Sad 1

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, Reivax said:

128 players? o_O
3 days o_O
oh god! we need that on Renegade X!
i'll try to reach 1k kills in less than 24 hours and 100k score in 48 hours :D
the longest game i've seen on RenX was Under for around 7 hours, but it was 2 or 3 years ago :/ 

The 128 player server was just ONE reason I stopped playing OldRen. People would flood that instead of the other small servers. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yosh56 said:

The 128 player server was just ONE reason I stopped playing OldRen. People would flood that instead of the other small servers. 

Imagine have 128 players...
I will finally have at least 1 healer with me ^_^  (at least i can hope)
and more boinks for my noob ramjet aim :P

and.. people never start another server when a server is already full in RenX. if players could start another server... but they wait on main menu 'till a slot become free. I don't know how many players we have because the maximum active online is around 100 when we have PUG server + PUB server, usually it's around 70 (64 on a server and a few others chilling around)

anyway UE3 doesn't allow to have 128 players servers 😢  

Edit:

oh and.. many maps aren't made for 64 players, ofc it's NOT a good idea to increase player count. I think servers with 64 players should have only adapted maps :) 

Edited by Reivax

On 2/14/2020 at 1:15 AM, Demigan said:

If we talk about unpopular opinions...

Stalemates are AWESOME. It means the game is in balance, that both teams can get an advantage but have to use everything they've got to win.

You seem to not understand what the definition of a stalemate is. It is a game that cannot realistically be won by either side. If a match lasts 3 days then there is fairly obviously a huge balance issue. Hence why the RenX devs have opted to "reimagine" the game rather than 1:1 recreate it.

8 hours ago, crazfulla said:

You seem to not understand what the definition of a stalemate is. It is a game that cannot realistically be won by either side. If a match lasts 3 days then there is fairly obviously a huge balance issue. Hence why the RenX devs have opted to "reimagine" the game rather than 1:1 recreate it.

You seen to restrict yourself too much on what a stalemate is. You can have stalemates that are solved eventually. Some stalemates are balance issues, like when a chokepoint is too hard to pass and no one can effectively destroy the other base. But some stalemates are there because the teams are simply balanced at that time. I loved the excitement, the thrill of destroying a building on Renegade (or failing to destroy) because it WAS difficult, but not impossible. I have less love for the Renegade and RenX maps where its relatively easy to destroy bases because there's too many options to attack. A good stalemate is much better than maps where either one side will have destroyed something within 15 minutes of starting.

56 minutes ago, crazfulla said:

Only reason those matches ended is because moderators came on and did !gameover, or everyone left the server out of boredom. A stalemate is a draw. A long drawn out victory (or loss) is not.

I'm from the original Renegade era and talking about those experiences. There was no moderation in the beginning and while a moderator might have had that power at some point I've never seen it used. And again: during this era games didnt end because people left, they came back for more. That is why I lament the fact that some people will vote for the next map at the drop of a hat in RenX. Fortunately many of these votes fall flat.

Also I didnt know a moderator could do that? Isnt the point of the voting system that if enough players vote no that they are actually enjoying it, and that a moderator ending it is going against the majority?

Edited by Demigan

On 2/16/2020 at 12:05 AM, crazfulla said:

How is a stalemate a balance issue? Seems balanced to me? And that a stalemate is resolved doesn't undo it being a stalemate earlier.

Personally I do like the high stakes of the old Ren. People continued being invested after a building was destroyed, which seems to be different for most RenX players. It still does happen, like yesterday where only the barracks was left vs everything of NOD on islands. They stayed in and eventually wrecked NOD. It's those matches where everyone comes together out of desperation and willpower that makes Ren or RenX better than other games, where you just jump in, gun, die and repeat.

• Totem Arts Staff

Stalemate doesn't just happen when both teams are good though. Sometimes it happens when neither of the team knows what else to do and neither side really make any meaningful progress and ended up just fooling about waiting for things to happen.

A stalemate where things actually happen is great, but let's be honest, that doesn't happen in all stalemates.

(un)popular opinion: 
when i see ppl voting F1 for change map after lost PP on Walls, i want to throw a knife to their face
when i see ppl voting F2 for change map after lost BAR, i want to throw a nuke missle to their face

On 2/19/2020 at 7:17 AM, Reivax said:

(un)popular opinion: 
when i see ppl voting F1 for change map after lost PP on Walls, i want to throw a knife to their face
when i see ppl voting F2 for change map after lost BAR, i want to throw a nuke missle to their face

When I see people voting to play walls in the first place on the endgame screen, I want to throw a visceroid in their face.

On 2/23/2020 at 2:29 AM, crazfulla said:

the doza nerf needed to happen tbh

naaaah ^_^ 
doza is becoming more and more useless against free chars
soon we'll have /R MARKSMAN RUSH CLEAR INF PATH FOR ROCKET RUSH :D 

On 2/24/2020 at 4:18 PM, Reivax said:

naaaah ^_^ 
doza is becoming more and more useless against free chars
soon we'll have /R MARKSMAN RUSH CLEAR INF PATH FOR ROCKET RUSH :D 

Probably lol. Doza is kinda OP in the sense that his right click attack can hit buildings further away than mobius can reach with a volt rifle. In regard to fighting free infantry I guess you're right. Although I seem to do ok with a doza in most cases, which I'm happy with given any EU based server I will likely have around 300 ping.

Edited by crazfulla
minor errors