Commando

Neutron

I don't know about you, but I find it weird to have a whole squad of Havoc clones running around with their 1 HK snipers, same goes for every other "Campaign" character like Ravechaw, Mendoza, you get the point.

My suggestion are;

1. Replace "Dead eye" just with GDI sniper model that will have Dead eye's sniper rifle, you get the Idea, should be done with other "Campaign" characters.

2. Reintroduce the Campaign as Commando units, which are limited to only 1 Commando/Campaign character per team. Commandos are simply extra-ordinary in combat capabilities, but they are very expensive to purchase and there is a limit on them 1 per team. They carry 2 primary weapons aside of 1 secondary weapon, they are armed with multiple Remote C4 (To represent that they are commandos that are good at infiltrating buildings).

Just gonna share the "Commando" unit idea:

Havoc - Armed with the Default Assault rifle, but with Thermal ironsight or scope and deals twice more damage than the regular assault rifle. Armed with a Rocket Launcher aswell.

you get the idea, there could be multiple Commando types for each faction. Sakura for example could have the Cloak ability.

Edited by Neutron

It is definitely not realistic to have multiple characters of the same type at once, but I have no problem with it (nor, as far as I know, does the majority of the playerbase). It's one of those things that is just a part of Renegade and Renegade X, and I think that Renegade X should stay mostly true to Renegade in that respect. There are some changes (such as the replacement of cheap Sydney with Mcfarland), but they are minimal.

As to Commando units, there are a few issues I can think of. The first is that it simply would be a large change to game balance and overall strategy, at a rather late phase in the development of Renegade X, and at a time when such changes really are not necessary (in my opinion, at the very least). Secondly, the limit of one per team - it works well in an RTS, with one person controlling a whole team, but in an FPS, it is very exclusionary, and players may be frustrated to find that the slot for the Commando unit they want to play is always full when they go to buy it.

In short, the current system is part of the Renegade heritage that I believe we should uphold, and I do not see such major game balance and strategy changes as being necessary at this point of the game's development.

HIHIHI

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, HIHIHI said:

It is definitely not realistic to have multiple characters of the same type at once, but I have no problem with it (nor, as far as I know, does the majority of the playerbase). It's one of those things that is just a part of Renegade and Renegade X, and I think that Renegade X should stay mostly true to Renegade in that respect. There are some changes (such as the replacement of cheap Sydney with Mcfarland), but they are minimal.

As to Commando units, there are a few issues I can think of. The first is that it simply would be a large change to game balance and overall strategy, at a rather late phase in the development of Renegade X, and at a time when such changes really are not necessary (in my opinion, at the very least). Secondly, the limit of one per team - it works well in an RTS, with one person controlling a whole team, but in an FPS, it is very exclusionary, and players may be frustrated to find that the slot for the Commando unit they want to play is always full when they go to buy it.

In short, the current system is part of the Renegade heritage that I believe we should uphold, and I do not see such major game balance and strategy changes as being necessary at this point of the game's development.

HIHIHI

I understand, but Red alert APB did it, and it was really well made, thought it could work with Renegade X. Maybe it's just my nostalgia bias...

Edited by Neutron

Ok, I'll take that. I haven't played APB a whole lot, but it is pretty fun. Now that you mention that, it probably could work with Renegade X too (although the issue would be magnified somewhat with the generally larger player numbers RenX has, in the case of the one-per-team Commando units, it would probably still work all right).

However -

What would be the reason to do so? As I said ealier, I don't think the game needs such a balance and gameplay change at this phase in its development. There are a lot of things that could work fine, but there is just not a good enough reason (in my opinion) to change them from a current system that also works fine. You have stated that it looks weird to have a bunch of the same character running around - that's fine, and it is indeed totally unrealistic. But if (as I believe) the majority of the playerbase and developer team has no problem with it, why change it? It's just another thing that will have to be worked out over time, and will push v1.0 farther out.

• Totem Arts Staff

I think its a cool future idea. As hihihiihhhiii said, it comes down to balance.

The fact is the dev team has worked *meticulously* hard to keep both GDI & Nod asymmetrically balanced. One small change such as even increase the firepower of one unit can offset the entire balance.

Adding a whole new unit has alot of calculations to be accounted for.

*the statements above are mine alone and not that of Totem Arts* =p

I get your points, balance is important. Maybe it could work for a potential future Co-op gamemode, where players take role of the Campaign characters (From both GDI and Nod) and have to teamwork, survive against waves of hordes of AI' or accomplish Campaign style mission objectives?

I just personally really wish that the old C&C Renegade singleplayer experience would be recreated in Renegade X.

(And I think a cloaked Sakura with Laser gun as a Nod commando would be totally badass :P)

Edited by Neutron

6 hours ago, Neutron said:

Maybe it could work for a potential future Co-op gamemode

There actually is some work going on (not as an official Totem Arts project, as far as I know, but by a dev) to support a Co-op mode and objective-based gameplay. So perhaps at least part of your wish will be someday realized. : )

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Well unfortunately said dev was planning on doing it without changing much of the core gameplay... and making the co-op more akin to Unreal Tournament's assault mode, just without the opposing team (so kinda like MonsterHunt mod). He is open to some suggestion but for now it'll be rather complex for him to overhaul things up.

whyamiitalkingaboutmyselfinthirdperson?

Spoiler

Aside from Scorpion Hunter (whose game logic I have only finished portion of and haven't tested in multiplay) I have a far simpler co-op mode... revolving on defending a Barracks in a dark forest

• Like 1