Hello Citizens !

I'm still working on this map as well.

Here is some screenshots for you..

20191218034318_1.thumb.jpg.dfef8cd5059f66f323ccb97d7626ba24.jpg

20191218034354_1.thumb.jpg.f8ee3eb1bdbfe8eb56a8f40ddad2f7d6.jpg

20191218034504_1.thumb.jpg.83cbac0d11efe22e71fab48a88e80adb.jpg

20191218034612_1.thumb.jpg.a154693f9030c622bbea99efa1a5ccb5.jpg

20191218034732_1.thumb.jpg.5782fc208bddce5b723b03ce76d66e68.jpg

The map is actually running on T.O Custom Map Server if you want to test it.
I don't put an download link here because I think the map isn't ready yet for that. I still need to make some things on it. 😋

Nexus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19.12.2019 at 20:18, Nexus51325 said:

Hallo Bürger!

Ich arbeite auch noch an dieser Karte.

Hier sind einige Screenshots für Sie.
Die Karte wird tatsächlich auf TO Custom Map Server ausgeführt, wenn Sie sie testen möchten. Ich habe hier keinen Download-Link eingefügt, da ich denke, dass die Karte noch nicht dafür bereit ist. Ich muss noch ein paar Dinge drauf

20191218034732_1.thumb.jpg.5782fc208bddce5b723b03ce76d66e68.jpg

little camera glitch in tunnels with fov 100 3rd person:

Steppe.jpg

So can we have this map back in public rotation please? I know there were a few people moaning they had to download it or something but I've not seen any serious criticisms of it in terms of play. I've not seen it since then and only played it 2-3 times maybe, but one of these was in a custom map PUG. It's an interesting map and surely it has just as much potential as the map Eyes that Dakuja created.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Hi !

About this tunnels problem, yeah I know, it's really hard to fix it, I already tried but the problem is that I don't know where the problem come from, I atleast patched it as the best as I can.

About Steppe in rotation again, well.. be patient please :X

Edited by Nexus51325
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

So now that this maps been in play for a few weeks, I wanted to share a few things.

I feel the map could benefit from the proper Oberlisk and AGT base defences in a central position capable of covering all sides - Nod can really struggle to stop heavy armour mid-late game and GDI really struggle with losing their GT near the infantry tunnels - it can be shot from 3 different tunnel angles into the GDI base and it doesn't usually survive for long. After its gone Nod has near total freedom to move in with sbh/beacons and both sides struggle to offer any protection to this really vulnerable side using vehicles. If you weren't prepared to use the full defences, I'd say both sides need an additional GT to cover the tunnels or could you insert one of the respawning defences like the cannon used on Whiteout. Nod can also lose the Hon really easily due to Gunners or Mobius rushing once theirs is also gone.

The tiberium field tank route is really boring, I think it needs to be a bit more creative and have more rocks and boulders to hide behind and I would cite the Crash Site map for an example of an interesting tib field. The green veins texture also looks very repetitive and I wonder if it's worth allowing infantry some sort of path through it on the border edge, or even if it means hopping over rocks and boulders to do this.

Overall, I really enjoy the map and I think rather like Reservoir it's going to stand the test of time, still feel it needs the Tiberian Sun era tanks though.

• Totem Arts Staff

Hi !

Thank you for you're feedback.

I indeed heard a lot of people who want an AGT and OB, even myself I'm thinking about it. As you said, it is hard to have a long game on Steppe because of that.
No promise here, but it is possible that I add them for real..

About the Tiberium Field, it is supposed to be like that without cover stuff (a kind of extra bonus path that you are not really supossed to use lol) , the 2 reals tanks paths are the others.

About Tiberian Sun Vehicles on this map the answer is no.

• Thanks 3

@Nexus51325

One of the things which so far spoils games on this map I think is the short direct infantry path, even if you spend a lot of time and care to win the field tank battle, you're always vulnerable to an infantry rush and so often punished for choosing to go offensive tanks. What makes it different from something like Islands, is having the 3 separate cave tunnels that open at the end, the main cave itself also provides a lot of cover, so you can't see straight from one end to the other to spot something coming, and secondly you can remain in the cave when shooting the barracks and dozer alt fire has good range and arcs very well for this purpose. These things all make an incoming rush hard to spot so they can creep up on you. Secondly, it's hard to counter an infantry rush unless you have your own already there. Tanks are blocked off from accessing this upper part of the base to provide a defence, only if you're skilled with an MRLS you can curve rockets, but it's a boring job just like Field or Islands, especially once the lone guard tower is down, which isn't so hard to destroy for either side. However GDI quickly either get inundated with SBH nukes all over the place or lose the Barracks to dozers when the GT is gone. The SBH ability makes GDI far more stretched with defending than Nod and the base is much larger than the compact one in Islands. Original Crash Site also had similar problems when it still had the river. If GDI loses the barracks in that very easy spot, they've basically lost the whole game as no more hotwires for field repairs and their tanks have to contend with lots of base defences and all the other usual Nod units.

I also want to use Daybreak infantry cave as a comparison, on here, snipers enjoy patrolling and skirmishing one another and can clearly see from one end to the other, so a rush can often be spotted and responded to in time and it's not possible to remain inside the cave whilst they shoot the building.

One of the three opening caves into the base need to become either blocked off, or maybe made so that it serves only as a one way access point into the tunnel from the base. One of the internal routes needs to become more of an obstacle course, like maybe the electric wires, balance beams and water become hazards that feature down one of the routes and become something good for sneakers to use and the other one remains open to running but can be more easily defended as it's only a single route.

Only a couple of games have been enjoyable for me so far on this map, and I like the map, you can tell how much effort has gone into it, but on the whole it's just too frustrating with the infantry cave path and one side or the other losing their bar/hon very early into the game. It would also be good to hear what others are saying about this map now everybody has had chance to experience several games from either faction.

Small final suggestion, would it be possible to make the team silos indestructible like the Snow map so at least both teams still get some credits if refinery is destroyed mid-late game? It's as bad as Walls without any credits when the ref is destroyed. Nod can easily nuke the silo, but GDI can barely get close... I almost feel that GDI needs some sort of sneak-able cat-walk or access tunnel under the Nod base similar to Gold Rush, Eyes or Cliff Side to offset Nod SBH. 

Edited by Mystic~
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, I can see you've sealed 2 of the 3 entrances into each base, but it's still not fair. The Nod side has a long narrow tunnel choke point with a GT at the end which has a clear line of sight to murder anything that can see it. But on the GDI side, there's a huge wide open cavern with lots of space to run & move around and get different firing angles on the GT, which doesn't have the same 'murder choke point' that Nod gets. It's really frustrating because we're already at the point where many people don't even want to vote for the map in the first place and I suspect some also leave once it loads up. It should be a really good map, it has the same potential as Eyes by Dakuja. Once the single GT defending the Barracks on GDI side cave is destroyed Nod can simply wreck havoc with SBH and nukes because there's nothing left to stop or detect them any longer. In all my plays of the map, most games are won by the GDI Barracks being destroyed and unlike Field or Field-X an MRLs can't get close enough to cover the cave entrance.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Oh @Nexus51325! I have one suggestion.

The fences that you put around the Repair Facilities, I like this idea. HOWEVER. I think it could be better to move the fence 180 degrees, and have the fence work as a barrier to stop the player's tank for quicker healing.

As it is, I can understand the logic, to help protect tanks from enemy fire. HOWEVER, from my experience, they fence in front, merely makes it difficult to repair friendly tanks quickly.

Roweboat, the Idea with the Fence is not to protect the Tanks on it, it prevents to camp with Tanks sitting on the RepPad and pounding the Base-Entrance and being nearly undestroyable in that Position.

Imagine an ranked Mammy sitting on that Pad and Protecting the Entrance ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please remove the fences near the refineries, if I could give any suggestion.

To be able to sneak to the back of the refinery requires that you eliminate the enemy team's guard tower stationed near the ref. This is no easy task.

A team should get a reward for destroying a guard tower, most usually in the form of an easier time getting through the enemy team's territory without dying horribly. If you have the fences to block off the back of the ref then there is quite literally no point to killing the back ref guard tower.

If a team loses their ref guard tower, I think it is absolutely fair that their refinery is susceptible to sneaking tactics as a consequence of losing the ref gt.

Also there is no other sneaking in this map besides SBH near the bar kinda stuff, so some form of sneaking is needed.

Also it's a horrendous pain in the lower intestine to come out of the refinery only to find there is a fence blocking your path to the action.

Also SBH can abuse nukes by putting them on one side of the fence while hotties can only defuse from that same side of the fence. It has happened before to me where I was unable to defuse a nuke because the nuke was 1 milometer outside of my reach because of the fence.

I beg you to remove the fences, as it makes the map much more interesting and enables a wider array of tactics for both teams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mystic~ said:

sorry did not have Steam open for screenshot.

You can make in-game screenshots by pressing F9, it will save them in UDKGame/Screenshots(note:they use bmp format, so it's better to convert them via Paint first).

• Like 1

Okay thanks, I usually end up mashing a bunch of F keys trying to find the right one and end up minimising the window usually, I checked for that particular folder and don't have one, so either I haven't taken any or maybe its not bound properly or something.