Strategy discussions

isupreme

> pours coffee and puts out pastries.

I am always keen to see players in this game use strategies that really focus on teamwork.   Yes i will often play the role of support if that is what gets us the win.   A  gunner rush forming in refinery is a nice go.  But can we do more?  

When you play the game what strategies do you wish the team would try ?  When your team is really stuck what "Hail Mary" would you try >?    When snipers are holding you in ... what can be done?.  .  etc..     What strategies might work or might not?

The following are some thoughts i have about strategies we could start using. Are they legitimate or flawed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RALLY! ~Form rush at the front not the base.

While some rushes do well executed from a building in a mass run, sometimes the team needs to keep up the fight.   By rallying a rush at the front we would keep players actively fighting and mass up where we can achieve the goal of crushing all resistance.    I rarely see  calls to form up on the front lines, except for the:  We are camped please buff us commander, kind.

Pressure  Pump  ~ Focus forces with  Shifting  back and forth

I think the ability for the team to choose areas of focus could be more utilized.    If a team would push field, then push tunnels and repeat again, i think  they would be in control and be able to push on thru at some point.   Proper defensive plans that use fewer players would enable the offense.

Zone Plan  ~Take Zones, use Zones

How often does a rush fail because the path used is Hot?  i.e.  that zone was not ready for that use.     Teams that can actively control zones and then capitalize on that should be successful.    The ability for players to work as squads and zone captains would enable this?

Squad Patrol ~Anti-sniper squad

when a very good sniper is clearly in control of a zone and actively killing every player that challenges them...    Why can't we form up as small squads and then push the sniper's position and over run them?     Surely a squad of 4 or 5 players, some basic and a few good shooters.. could easily take down even the most skilled sniper?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by isupreme
fidgity, like really no response to this thread?
  • Like 2

>Hiding under some chairs in the back of the room, now in darkness, the bin knocked over and the pastries being devoured

>Through his consumption of pastries he utters

~~~~~~~

FOCUS FIRE: Shoot the same enemy vehicle [Focus Fire] to better eliminate a blockade. [Two Mammies shooting an Arty at the same time will kill the arty, that cannot be out-healed] - If under siege by Nod, Mammies and Rocket Soldiers with repairs. If under siege by GDI, LCGs, Rocket Soldiers & Light Tanks. LCGs EMP, the rest of the infantry is for intimidation and the Light tanks are to drive around the GDI vehicles so the GDI team struggles to shoot at the same target

DECOYS: Decoys are a really good way to divert enemy attention, if your team has the enemy teams' attention then act on that infiltration or sabotage as soon as you can - If your team dies in the field, some of your enemy will return to their base alternatively, 80% of the enemy will immediately return to their base giving your team an easier time to hold the field and hopefully picking off a few enemy vehicles. 

Quantity over Quality: Pesky infantry players giving you a hard time? Assaulting the infantry paths with Grenades or Flames [3 or more] to take down a priced character is better than allowing low money be your crux

Ambush: If you are a flame thrower infantry and you see a lone mammoth tank, jump on top of it and kill it - the Mammoth tank will struggle to kill you. Use Stanks to focus fire enemy vehicles to take them down faster. - With any other vehicle if you can hide your vehicle anywhere enough to let the enemy pass, wait until they engage the rest of your team, then fire at them from behind.

Edited by Madkill40
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Quincy said:

Get meds.

Ah, the tried and tested traditional GDI tactic. Very convincing argument.

A lot of what @isupreme posted here seems to be already in use, though less explicitly and under different names.

"Rally"/"Zone Plan" are core benefits of taking Field Control which is what most PUG matches revolve around. Controlling areas of the field with vehicles and infantry provides intel on enemy movements, acts as a defensive line against enemy rushes (effectively allied "hot zones") and provides snowballing benefits such as veterancy and credit income. With enough field control, it becomes possible to rally just outside an enemies' base and avoid all of their hot zones.

"Pressure pump" is sorta used in PUGs - but it isn't really conscious decision. A lot of times teams will push different parts of the field and infantry tunnels based on team reinforcement requests. Like if someone were to say "We're losing the outer path, can I get some infantry support here?", our infantry players might divert from the tunnels to the field.

"Squad patrol" is the only one we don't use. The reason why is purely due to player efficiency. Spending 4 players to deal with 1 player is extremely inefficient and effectively puts your team 3 players less than the enemy. An 15 vs 15 game turns into a 12 vs 15 which can have a massive impact in other areas of the game. Incidentally, this is also the reason infantry tends to be a problem to balance in PUGs.

• Like 3

> picks up the bin and notices more activity in the clubhouse. 

>sets a box of Krispy Kreme donuts  on the table, and opens the curtains.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Madkill40  re:   FOCUS FIRE:  - id like to see subcommanders/captains able to focus  a group of players like you suggest.

DECOYS     -  damn right.  send in the decoy!    a similar strategy might be the two-prong, with one , clearly the sacrificial.

Ambush:    -  that crap hurts.   i've fallen to that successful tactic.   

Quincy        In complete agreement.  But why do players not use mediums much anymore is what i keep observing/wondering.   I cannot remember that last big medium  mass rush i saw.

Xenon Wraith.    I like your comments.   They remind me that i primarily play on the public servers.    There was a part of me that figured the PUGs must be utilizing some or similar stuff.      Put me down as a die hard advocate of the public server then   because i would like to see these enjoyable mechanisms used in the public servers  📢

Edited by isupreme

On 8/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, isupreme said:

Quincy        In complete agreement.  But why do players not use mediums much anymore is what i keep observing/wondering.   I cannot remember that last big medium  mass rush i saw.

I think med rushes stopped being a thing after mammoths were buffed 1 or 2 years ago. Mammoth tanks are simply stronger, especially in the late game. What's more, in public games vehicles rushes are generally difficult to organize, because a big portion of the vehicle limit is usually taken by people who do not work with the team. Especially now, on 32v32 servers. So you rarely get to see any kind of vehicle rushes.

1 hour ago, Quincy said:

I think med rushes stopped being a thing after mammoths were buffed 1 or 2 years ago. Mammoth tanks are simply stronger, especially in the late game. What's more, in public games vehicles rushes are generally difficult to organize, because a big portion of the vehicle limit is usually taken by people who do not work with the team. Especially now, on 32v32 servers. So you rarely get to see any kind of vehicle rushes.

Med rushes were still being used until the commander buff came around and now everyone constantly wants to do infantry rushes ~ 

I think every map has a certain area that needs to be controlled if it's controlled well that team will most likely win. There are some people that think snipers just killwhore and don't try to actually win but against a decent team of tankers you "need" snipers to stop their hotties/techs from repping them, that way you can call out that they're out of reps and usually take back the field. 

Using mobi's/doza's in the field to stop their tanks from focus firing your team mates tanks is also a really good strat (specially doza's) they're fast and can usually get some poke done before they get shot and "usually" get away without taking any damage. 

I think ever since the commander buff became a thing infantry rushes are being over used you don't see that many tank rushes anymore, especially in public matches. I do miss that kinda playstyle in the game seeing 10 meds just drive out instead of 10 rocket soldiers. 

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
23 hours ago, bento said:

Med rushes were still being used until the commander buff came around and now everyone constantly wants to do infantry rushes ~ 

I think every map has a certain area that needs to be controlled if it's controlled well that team will most likely win. There are some people that think snipers just killwhore and don't try to actually win but against a decent team of tankers you "need" snipers to stop their hotties/techs from repping them, that way you can call out that they're out of reps and usually take back the field. 

Using mobi's/doza's in the field to stop their tanks from focus firing your team mates tanks is also a really good strat (specially doza's) they're fast and can usually get some poke done before they get shot and "usually" get away without taking any damage. 

I think ever since the commander buff became a thing infantry rushes are being over used you don't see that many tank rushes anymore, especially in public matches. I do miss that kinda playstyle in the game seeing 10 meds just drive out instead of 10 rocket soldiers. 

Significantly less to do with commander bluffs. More to do with it being harder for tanks to get through 32 people. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

> sets the chairs in the back of the room back in place, glances out the window at the many tanks and vehicles parked outside.....

Those are some good points about why med mass rushes do not occur often.  The effects of Mammy improvements and command focus on infantry rushes is significant i would wager.

BUT,    I am happy to say i saw it  done well just recently and it was as always

A GREAT and Glorious Site to BeHold!