Cruise Missile + Beacons

Mystic~

If this has been posted before, please ignore.

Can we please have a similar prevention check to stop Commanders from calling in one, two or more cruise missiles on top of a placed beacon, similar to what people used to do with airstrikes, but this was eventually patched. It's very effective and it's quite a cheap and nasty tactic. 

Thanks

• Like 1

It happens frequently enough for me to keep encountering it. I don't see how does it matter what map it was on. The developers stepped in to prevent airstrikes called on top of beacons for the same reason, which are very similar to this, and I don't see much difference between someone purchasing airstrikes or someone saving up all their cp points for calling in multiple cruise missiles on a team beacon. It still prevents an opposing defending team from disarming a beacon in many instances and it causes wide area damage and it's devastating to any infantry caught up in it. It's highly effective and disproportionate, which is what the argument is. i.e. lame, cheap, overpowered, near invincible, whatever adjective you want to use to describe it.

All it would need is a similar message flashing up saying "cannot call cruise missile, too close to a team beacon".

If this is going to be allowed then the block on airstrikes may as well be lifted as well.

Edited by Mystic George
  • Like 6

I think that you can not forbid people to direct missiles at the beacon .  Unless you can make a limit on the number of missiles, for example, no more than one missile every 30 seconds.  The problem is that people do not know how to neutralize missiles, and this is done pretty easily(syd, rave).

Shoot the missile down, try to kill the commander... Neither are easy tasks depending but there is an fair amount of time between the cruise and the disarm... 

But I do see your point - As airstrikes aren't allowed on beacons then perhaps a Cruise missile shouldn't be allowed within a certain radius of the beacon either, why prevent one whilst allowing the other when they're practically the same [although still vary significantly] 

• Like 1

I've honestly never tried to shoot down a cruise missile, we don't get those game hint screen savers anymore. But by that logic, should we not also be able to target the AC130s or GDI strike plane with the rocket soldiers' launchers to prevent them from landing? Force the GDI planes to come in low and slow and the NOD plane should already be enough to target anyway. I should have said that cruises are OP used with beacons in the original post which is surely why airstrikes were prevented from being used to defend a beacon countdown.

I don't have a problem with a commander being able to call in multiple cruise missiles into an enemy base to cause disruption and chaos, and it's quite a risky strategy, but certainly not directly on top of a beacon.

I'd also add that most people don't think to go looking for a beacon with a railgun character and usually the beacon and missile strikes go down at a similar time, by the time the team has searched and reached the beacon with adv engineers they're usually then immediately hit with the first cruise missile explosion, and then any second wave of engineers is also hit by the second cruise. It was only by chance on a Walls game we still managed to disarm the beacon, but on a larger map like Outposts, it earned them building destruction.

I would argue for the same time limit between calling for new missiles and the same unpermitted radius as an airstrike.

Edited by Mystic George

2 hours ago, Mystic George said:

But by that logic, should we not also be able to target the AC130s or GDI strike plane with the rocket soldiers' launchers to prevent them from landing? Force the GDI planes to come in low and slow and the NOD plane should already be enough to target anyway.

You can't shoot down the C130 unless it was possible to EMP the Weapons Factory but that aside, you can shoot down the airstrikes - 3 shots with an Ramjet Rifle.