Renegade X Sniper Tournament plans/suggestions

HIHIHI

So... It was suggested a few weeks ago that we have a Renegade X sniper tournament (after poi and 00G had their duel). I think that this would be pretty cool and pretty fun, if we could get it planned and get people to join. It seems to me that there are several things to consider:

1. Normal maps or sniper maps? I've had fun with informal sniper battles on normal maps like Under or Twilight, but I can imagine that sniper duels on the dedicated sniper maps, like Sniper Park, could be fun too.
  2. Duels, 2v2, or larger teams? I prefer duels or 2v2 battles, I would think. Larger teams can be all over the place, and it's harder to keep track of your enemies. Perhaps duels if not many people participate, and 2v2 if lots show up.
  3. How should individuals (or teams, whichever way it is done) be matched against each other? Have one or two regular maps with all participants randomly distributed between teams, and then pair based on kills (I know basketball tournaments often pair the highest seed with the lowest, next highest with next lowest, and so on)? Just randomly match players/teams against each other?
  4. How should it be done, technically? I know that there is a sniper mutator that Try-Out uses on his sniper server. Perhaps that could be utilized, which I suppose would be the best way. A mutator could be written, though. Another way could be to start people off with tens of thousands of credits and only let them buy snipers, but that is quite easy to abuse and less efficient.
  5. When should it take place? Before or after a PUG seems like the most logical time to have it (possibly before, as PUGs don't all end at the same time, but maybe it's ok). It may have to be spread out over multiple days if there are enough participants.
  6. Where should it be hosted? FPI can host it on a separate server if desired, but if anyone else wants to host it, that's fine too.
  7. I'm sure there are other questions that I have not thought of - if you think of any, please put them out here for us to discuss.

Let's have some discussion! I would really enjoy it if we could get something planned out and executed.

HIHIHI

EDIT: Try-Out's sniper server does not use a mutator, except for the bighead mutator. They are map settings. Thank you, Try-Out, for letting me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A mixture of maps as some regular maps offer an more interesting terrain diversity for snipers - meanwhile an SniperDM specific map can make such a tournament less tedious when it comes to two players playing. 

Depending on how you want to judge this tournament, if it is solely based on most kills or if there are other goals the competing players could have beyond just kills

• Like 1

A mixture of maps does sound nice. I would think that in each round, everyone should play on the same map, and then in the next round, you can all play on another map, etc. That way each round is balanced, and one pair of individuals/teams doesn't get a map that's really easy and the others get hard maps, or something.

Your second point is interesting... I would never have thought on judging it based on something other than kills. A sniper tournament that was judging people based on their true usefulness in the game would include stuff like how well they could snipe enemy repairs, but that would be quite difficult to simulate... I think that making it a simple sniper deathmatch is the best way, although if there's something else that makes sense, that's fine too.

Ah, ok. How would you judge that, though? It seems quite difficult to me to accurately judge those things, and take them into account, weighted properly against other factors (like kills). It's a neat thought... But this Bear of Very Little Brain doesn't quite see how to integrate such things into a judging/scoring system.

Gunship battles when? With chinooks gunned with 2 people.

And as a 52% aiming lad thats an AT main, snipers arent my thing, but i do like tournaments.. sooo squad wars 2 when? Lappen