Consolidated Soundbug Topic

yosh56

• Totem Arts Staff

For anyone who consistently gets the sound bug on map change using the 64-bit client, post your system specifications (including whether you use USB/3.5mm, headset, or speakers). 

I personally don't ever have the issue 

• Like 2

URII Steinberg Phantom power via usb-3 

Controls Mic input and headphone output

Speakers via 3.5mm rear socket 

AMD Motherboard 

Update: After unplugging my speakers and only having the usb left plugged in I did not encounter any sound bug over the course of 4 maps. Perhaps (in my case anyway) having both connected creates some conflict within RenX 

Would it be possible under Audio settings to have an speaker output drop-down list which allows any users' known hardware to be selected in-game? (as well as 'Use default') 

Edited by Madkill40
  • Thanks 1

Dell Inspiron 13 (5000 Series)

Intel i5-6200U @2.30 GHz

EDIT: 12.0 GB memory  (not sure which type)

EDIT: Intel HD Graphics 520

Waves MaxxAudio Pro (output through 3.5mm jack (which I think is also a mic input) into a pair of plain headphones (no built-in mic or anything))

HDMI audio is also available, but it is unused.

NOTE: One or two times, I have gotten the soundbug in the middle of a game. My computer REALLY hates it when I alt+tab out of RenX, and my FPS drop down VERY LOW for a minute (occasionally the game crashes). A while ago, I alt+tabbed out of the game, and when I came back, I had low FPS as normal. I then heard a kind of buzz, and then sound went back to normal. A few seconds later, the sound quit, AND my FPS went back to normal at the same instant.

Other than that, I get the regular soundbug probably about every 5-7 games or so (maybe a little less often).

Desktop Specs:
Windows 10
Intel i7-8700K
Nvidia GTX 1080
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
3x 4K Dell monitors with Renegade X runs at 1920x1080 (so non-native res)
32GB DDR4 RAM
ASUS motherboard
EVGA PSU

Headset Info:
3.5mm audio + 3.5mm headphone jack that merges into 1 output cable; using built-in motherboard sound
Model: Sennheiser Game One

No additional ACTUAL audio outputs used, however Windows does register additional potential outputs

image.png.2b3fafb88fe2179b70c3c1c1de0877fc.png

Worth noting, I think Unreal Engine actually shuts down and restart something regarding audio between level transitions; what makes me think this is that IF I RECALL CORRECTLY the Bink videos can't have audio, despite Bink videos actually supporting audio normally.

• Thanks 1

I know a guy here used virtual audio cable or something to overcome to soundbug, but I don't remember who and what he did...
I have it too with all my devices (laptop and two desktops) when the USB disconnects cause I accidently pull the cable or sometimes hit it. Reconnecting it will not re-establish the sound.

Can post specs if needed, but not now. 

• 1 month later...

Another thing I have been meaning to say for a while: I seem (no hard data here) to get the soundbug much more often during PUGs (when I of course am using voice chat, which takes more audio resources). So I suspect the soundbug may be tied in some way to resource usage. Just letting people know.

• Totem Arts Staff
6 hours ago, HIHIHI said:

So I suspect the soundbug may be tied in some way to resource usage. Just letting people know.

That's a good theory. Sometimes after a match (its rare) RenX will crash to desktop, no error, but I will hear multiple audio pops, just like when the soundbug occurs.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:07 AM, Madkill40 said:

So far after only having USB output/input for sound I have not run into the sound-bug. By not using the 3.5mm rear-port I have not encountered the sound bug.

I take this back, I spoke way too soon 

For some reason on 64-bit my Purchase Terminal has varied lag spikes [much patience required], but when the soundbug strikes the lag spikes disappear - Its really bizarre 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/29/2019 at 2:54 AM, Madkill40 said:

I take this back, I spoke way too soon 

For some reason on 64-bit my Purchase Terminal has varied lag spikes [much patience required], but when the soundbug strikes the lag spikes disappear - Its really bizarre 

Why do lag spikes on the PT screen disappear when the soundbug activates? This is still a thing.

Maybe just put an audio device setting in the settings menu- let the client specify which sound device to use for the games' audio output that way the gane can never be confused because for all we know it could be Windows 10 being a cocky bitch

On 11/19/2019 at 10:26 PM, Madkill40 said:

Maybe just put an audio device setting in the settings menu- let the client specify which sound device to use for the games' audio output that way the gane can never be confused because for all we know it could be Windows 10 being a cocky bitch

This is easier said than done, but this has actually been getting worked on in the background. The sound bug (or at least, a sound bug) is caused by a bug in the way unreal engine interacts with Windows -- the solution is to essentially override that, and as a consequence it allows us to expose that option in the process. There's no specific ETA for this, however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Agent said:

This is easier said than done, but this has actually been getting worked on in the background. The sound bug (or at least, a sound bug) is caused by a bug in the way unreal engine interacts with Windows -- the solution is to essentially override that, and as a consequence it allows us to expose that option in the process. There's no specific ETA for this, however.

It comes when it comes, so long as it comes eventually then all can be happier. Thanks ^_^

Edit: With that being said, is there a specific .ini file within RenX with a line regarding which audio output device the game uses? If at this point it is possible for the end-user to tweak it then that'd be very handy as a temporary measure. 

Edited by Madkill40

13 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

Edit: With that being said, is there a specific .ini file within RenX with a line regarding which audio output device the game uses? If at this point it is possible for the end-user to tweak it then that'd be very handy as a temporary measure. 

Nope, my understanding is that UDK is essentially hard coded to use the default Windows audio output, and doesn't allow any way to select the audio output device. We're essentially writing that functionality ourselves.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No other issues with the game besides this specific bug.

Windows 10 OS

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi Mobo

AMD Ryzen 3800x CPU

MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Super GPU

32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram Dual Channel Memory

1 TB Samsung EVO SSD 

Logitech G933 Wifi Headset USB Wireless Dongle 

Edited by ThugAim

5 hours ago, ThugAim said:

No other issues with the game besides this specific bug.

Windows 10 OS

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi Mobo

AMD Ryzen 3800x CPU

MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Super GPU

32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram Dual Channel Memory

1 TB Samsung EVO SSD 

Logitech G933 Wifi Headset USB Wireless Dongle 

Can you try this?

1. Open explorer (windowskey + E) and navigate to the RenX 64-bit client folder in the program files. If you're running RenX on your C:\ drive and installed it with default settings, it should be here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\Binaries\Win64

2. Locate UDK.exe, rightclick > Properties

3. Head over to the "Compatibility" tab and check the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows Vista" from the list. 

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 - Home (64Bit, latest version)
Intel Core i7 7500U 2.70 
8GB RAM (DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce 930MX  (2GB GDDR3 VRAM)
HDD 2.5" SEAGATE (1 TB - SATA - 5400 RPM - ST1000LM048)
COMBO audio jack (some iTrust cheap headphones via combo jack)

Even playing with speakers (when not feel to play with the headphones), i don't recall ever getting the sound bug.

Note: I currently use 32Bit over 64Bit, due the 64Bit crashes for "Ran out of video memory" Even when checking on the background doesn't get the 2GBs...

Edited by RyanTurner
Forgot to add the phones :v

• 3 weeks later...

Not having an FX CPU fixed 64bit issues for me. No more lagspikes on the PT and have not yet had the soundbug either whilst running 64bit.

UE3 really churns away at a single-core and boasted multi-core processors seem to struggle compatibility-wise. This is nothing new, but its safe to say upgrading away from an FX CPU confirms this, as a (pricey) solution

1 hour ago, Madkill40 said:

Not having an FX CPU fixed 64bit issues for me. No more lagspikes on the PT and have not yet had the soundbug either whilst running 64bit.

UE3 really churns away at a single-core and boasted multi-core processors seem to struggle compatibility-wise. This is nothing new, but its safe to say upgrading away from an FX CPU confirms this, as a (pricey) solution

For how long have you had your new processor?
The soundbug in particular has been experienced by people with all kinds of processors. It is not specifically FX-related.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, HavocPrime said:

i got windows 7 64 bit crash bug i think its links with the sound bug .When the sound bug happens my pc gets a BSOD and i have to do a hard restart.if you can tell where are the crash logs so i can post them here so you can check what seems to be the issue .

I think you're switching things around.

When your PC crashes, your audio also crashes. Always.
But it's not the other way around.

Honey tastes sweet, but not everything that tastes sweet is honey.

In this particular case I ask you to open a topic in Technical Support.
As a true full-on crash like yours is usually a driver or hardware issue.

i rechecked the issue and i found out that why playing on fairplay server i get more crashes than the official ones. for some reason the sound bug has to do with the update of patches as before 5.4.6.2 the sound bug was non existant. did the patch update any setting related to sound that might be the culprit.

The crash had to do with my gpu heating up the thing is my gpu is very old

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This probably doesn't help, but it did happen to me just now.  One interesting thing that I noticed was that it seems to happen right before the map switches(as opposed to when the new map loads).  When it happened, I did also hear a small pop through my headphones, kinda like I just unplugged my headphones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

It looks like Epic was very thorough in error checking, so there should be something logged to your console or game log when the soundbug happens.
Can someone look at the game log ("RenegadeX/UDKGame/Logs/Launch.log") and give me the output?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

I'm going to drop a write-up of what's happening with the soundbug here:

It appears that for whatever reason, during a map change, the system will temporarily change sound devices.
On XAudio 2.7 (the version the UDK uses), this is fatal. WASAPI informs XAudio2 that the endpoint (e.g. your headphones) is gone, and XAudio2 would call the OnCriticalError callback to inform the game.
The UDK does not register to receive these callbacks, so it continues on, completely unaware that the XAudio2 context is now invalid.

What should happen is that when the game receives this callback, it should destroy and re-create the XAudio2 context so that it can output audio to the new endpoint.

Reproduction
The soundbug is trivial to reproduce by changing the output audio device on the desktop.

32-bit UDK
For some reason this bug is not present on the 32-bit version of the UDK. I checked, and they use the same version of XAudio2 (2.7), so it isn't that.
This would warrant some more investigation. Perhaps there's a piece of code that changes audio devices present only in the 64-bit version?

Resources
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35600946/why-oncriticalerror-is-called-in-directx-version-of-xaudio2

• Thanks 3

• 8 months later...

just dropping that here in case it helps the "soundbug" case
when soundbug happens, i notice a small crack in my headphones, and the songs i'm listening to on Youtube are.. kinda affected, their volume is slightly reduced (like 20-30%)

Before someone asks me to check if my headphone is rightly plugged, ofc it is, it's a weird USB plug so it's all or nothing hehe😛

keep prayin' harder to do not have soundbug in Firestorm

• 4 months later...