Feature Request - Harvester Only Need 1 Stop Command

roweboat

• Totem Arts Staff

Nearly all matches, Harvester control is vital to the match. and as a commander, we have the ability to stop and even control where to put the harvester. which is awesome!! I love it.

However, if a parked harvester is destroyed, the new one does not follow the "stop" command. In the heat of battle, it can be difficult and somewhat annoying to micromanage the harvester while also dealing with other things.

It would be great if all harvesters followed the "stop" command until released by the commander (*once a harvester waypoint/standby area has been selected*), regardless if they are destroyed or not.

I suppose one could argue the current set up can be a good strategy for the other team, less automation = more tactics. But I feel the AI should just be improved instead =p

• Like 2

AI downgraded ? How do you mean ? Why would we lol. If so i should probably know as most of the bot AI, Harvester AI and all the different turrets AI was my 'fault'.

But it wasent/isent really maintained anymore as i have been inactive for quite a while since recently and have no more real intention to deal with the bot AI in particular as it became a chore and this is a MP game afterall. There are more important things to work on.

What you might observe as AI getting worse is if some things in the base code changed, the AI code might need to adjust and if not it can break. Or it was never working properly to begin with.

If you can provide a good description of what you think got worse i will take a look. Wishes like "i want the bots to be able to do this and that" probably will remain unanswered though unless we find a new AI coder.

About the harv idea: yeah this sounds like a good idea. I think we should take a look at this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After playing several matches with bots in open beta 5 these are the things I have noticed

The AI will instantly repair structure everytime it gets damaged with hotwires and technicans.

The AI knows how to effectively organise rushes and doesnt waste any time unlike the latest version of renX where they will just attack from one position and then get destroyed giving the emeny the chance to strike.

They don't overload airstrip/weapons factory with empty vehicles meaning you will have time to purchase vehicles without having your airstrip or weapons factory full of empty vehicles

The AI utilitizes the money they have properly meaning sometimes you will see your team mates with 300 to 400 credits because they utilises vehicles and units meaning they won't just waste it for no good reason and most of the time won't leave their vehicle empty unless they have to. 

Havoc/Sakura knows how properly use ramjet rifle and won't hesitate to shoot you in the head.

In terms of deathmatch (mostly sniper matches) feels more fun because the AI will fire at your position without any sort of hestition making the match feel very heated.

Lastly, the AI will KILL YOU with full force as they tend to fire at you with burst and dont wait a few seconds to fire at you again meaning that for example GDI/NOD soliders will aggressively fire at you with the assault rifle without stopping pretty much how a real player would use the assault rifle and it's not just that they also do it with mobius/mendoza.

I had to point this out as I love renegade x but after my friend giving me the open beta 5 version I realised that the AI in the latest version of RenX does absolutely none of this. I am not saying the AI in the current version is bad because they still show signs of intelligence depending on difficulty but they feel downgraded compared to open beta 5 and now unless this is fixed this can potentially destroy what made renegade x so special.

But if you don't believe me then I think it is best that you go and download open beta 5 and see for yourself.

Edited by Kirby550

"The AI will instantly repair structure everytime it gets damaged with hotwires and technicans."
-> Properly has to do with bots never beeing fully adjusted to the introduction of building armor. Not sure if Beta5 already had it.

"The AI knows how to effectively organise rushes and doesnt waste any time unlike the latest version of renX where they will just attack from one position and then get destroyed giving the emeny the chance to strike."
-> This mostly is down to maps not beeing setup for bots to their fullest. For bots to attack from different angles and such properly the map needs to have special AI notes and with dialed in values. We still lack a tutorial for this and the system is quite complicated so that i think that none of the newly introduced maps (and not even all of the original ones) use this AI nodes properly and thus the bots wont have much map awareness. Potentially we could someday go over all the maps and fix this.

"They don't overload airstrip/weapons factory with empty vehicles meaning you will have time to purchase vehicles without having your airstrip or weapons factory full of empty vehicles"
-> Not sure what you think is different in curr version about this. You mean they buy a vehicle and then just leave it ?

"The AI utilitizes the money they have properly meaning sometimes you will see your team mates with 300 to 400 credits because they utilises vehicles and units meaning they won't just waste it for no good reason and most of the time won't leave their vehicle empty unless they have to."
-> They should still save up for better things to buy.  

"Havoc/Sakura knows how properly use ramjet rifle and won't hesitate to shoot you in the head. ..."
-> You mean they now sometimes just wait before shooting ?

"But if you don't believe me then I think it is best that you go and download open beta 5 and see for yourself."
-> Not saying i dont believe you. But i know that the AI code in itself hasent changed in this aspects since Beta 5. So not that easy or straightforward to find out what might cause this observations.

51 minutes ago, RypeL said:

"The AI will instantly repair structure everytime it gets damaged with hotwires and technicans."
-> Properly has to do with bots never beeing fully adjusted to the introduction of building armor. Not sure if Beta5 already had it.

Beta 5 already had it just without the buliding armor which saves me from doing all the work

"The AI knows how to effectively organise rushes and doesnt waste any time unlike the latest version of renX where they will just attack from one position and then get destroyed giving the emeny the chance to strike."
-> This mostly is down to maps not beeing setup for bots to their fullest. For bots to attack from different angles and such properly the map needs to have special AI notes and with dialed in values. We still lack a tutorial for this and the system is quite complicated so that i think that none of the newly introduced maps (and not even all of the original ones) use this AI nodes properly and thus the bots wont have much map awareness. Potentially we could someday go over all the maps and fix this.

That is very strange it could be a glitch as I never saw this problem in open beta 5.

"They don't overload airstrip/weapons factory with empty vehicles meaning you will have time to purchase vehicles without having your airstrip or weapons factory full of empty vehicles"
-> Not sure what you think is different in curr version about this. You mean they buy a vehicle and then just leave it ?

Mostly yes but sometimes you would see huge amount of vehicles stacked at the airstrip or weapons factory  I know they could be doing it for defensive purpose but there are better ways of doing it

"The AI utilitizes the money they have properly meaning sometimes you will see your team mates with 300 to 400 credits because they utilises vehicles and units meaning they won't just waste it for no good reason and most of the time won't leave their vehicle empty unless they have to."
-> They should still save up for better things to buy.  

Yes they save up but they have huge chunks of money where as in open beta 5 unless they were doing well then they wouldn't have  a lot of money. 

"Havoc/Sakura knows how properly use ramjet rifle and won't hesitate to shoot you in the head. ..."
-> You mean they now sometimes just wait before shooting ? 

Yes and it's not just them it kinda raveshaw too although his preference is far range in open beta 5 at least. AI Sydney has been improved though. 

"But if you don't believe me then I think it is best that you go and download open beta 5 and see for yourself."
-> Not saying i dont believe you. But i know that the AI code in itself hasent changed in this aspects since Beta 5. So not that easy or straightforward to find out what might cause this observations.

You could be right about that but I think it that it is best that you play it for yourself to see the difference because the AI code has changed a lot not 100% necessarily in a bad way as there are some things the AI in the latest version of RenX does better.

Edited by Kirby550