Dual Weapon Med Poll

yosh56

Dual Weapon Med   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Dual Weapon Medium Tank just be the standard?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Explain)

• Totem Arts Staff

So originally the Medium Tank with the coaxial MG was just sort of implemented on larger maps to help out with Stank hunting, but overall the weapon itself sort just seems to 'fit'. The poll says it all: Should this just be 'The Medium Tank'? Personally, I don't see it being that imbalanced, as the gun doesn't do nearly as good against infantry as a Humvee/APC/MRLS. It also just makes Meds a bit more interesting to use. 

[Also I'm totally aware of the looping sound bug on the tank.] 

I like the idea, though my one reservation is how it might affect stealth checking on smaller maps. Checking with a tank cannon is less effective than with a machine gun and this could make it a lot harder to sneak past tanks in the field.

Could though, take that with a huge pinch of salt, it's a maybe even I don't think would be true but I'd want to see it play tested to confirm.

• Former Developers

The MG on the med may not be an amazing taking down infantry but it doesn't need to be amazing. One of the reasons you as Nod can counter GDI tanks is because they are terrible at taking down infantry. Giving Meds an MG gives them a buff to their major weakness. Nod will have a much tougher time challenging meds with LCGs and Ravs if are able to deal damage more effectively to infantry.

I'm very skeptical about this working as you'd think. Willing to try it, but still skeptical.

• Totem Arts Staff
17 minutes ago, Havoc89 said:

The MG on the med may not be an amazing taking down infantry but it doesn't need to be amazing. One of the reasons you as Nod can counter GDI tanks is because they are terrible at taking down infantry. Giving Meds an MG gives them a buff to their major weakness. Nod will have a much tougher time challenging meds with LCGs and Ravs if are able to deal damage more effectively to infantry.

I'm very skeptical about this working as you'd think. Willing to try it, but still skeptical.

Considering the MG is a projectile, it's already decently hard to hit infantry at range. Also Ravs can still poke at them to death, and LCGs have enough  boons that they're not exactly struggling just because they have a few more bullets to try and dodge. 

Currently against. I don't get it? 

Biggest issue with fielding APCs/Humvees has always been their survivability and total inability to deal with heavy armour, both of which Meds are vastly superior at. The MG certainly isn't as good as dedicated anti-infantry weapons but considering you'll be fielding way more Meds than APCs/Humvees, you'll easily be able to overwhelm enemy infantry through raw volume of fire. You don't often too see doom stacks of Meds on larger maps so its less of a issue there but smaller maps are going to be rougher for Nod. Regardless of scenario, its still a net anti-infantry buff to GDI which isn't really something GDI needs at this time. Even in PUGs, the biggest issue with Nod-sided games is getting field control before the Med rollout, not really after.

There's also the lesser issue of having a reliable anti-air weapon, though you could probably work around that with decreasing firing angles if need be.

I don't really see the benefit in doing this.

40 minutes ago, yosh56 said:

Considering the MG is a projectile, it's already decently hard to hit infantry at range. Also Ravs can still poke at them to death, and LCGs have enough  boons that they're not exactly struggling just because they have a few more bullets to try and dodge. 

Raveshaws can poke any vehicle to death. Humvees are too squishy to tank Rav shots and the bullet spread of APCs makes hitting peeking Raveshaws super inconsistent.

Clearly I must be MANTANK'ing wrong, since I genuinely have no idea how you're meant to dodge bullets as a LCG.

So the coaxial MG is more of a scanner than an anti-infantry (which is fine since medium tanks are not meant to be very effective infantry-killers). I don't feel stealth tanks should be "nerfed" on small maps since they are already having a harder time hiding than on big maps especially people who have bad vehicle handling.

I'm not sure if it's gonna break small maps but I don't see them a big deal on big maps but I was thinking if coaxial MGs are on small maps then limit them like only for people with high veterancy (IF it is possible). It's just a personal benefit for elite players so not everybody in GDI have the MG tank which I believe would be bad for Nod if everybody has it. Like Titans and Tick Tanks from Tiberian Sun have sensors only when they're elite, medium tanks shouldn't have the ability to look for stealth (and attack infantry) easier right from the start.

• Totem Arts Staff

@vandal brings up an interesting point, what if the med tank was only given MG at higher rank. eg. Veteran or elite or above. 

Personally I don't think the MG on non-flying maps will change too much, but I think we can only know through play and practice 😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, Xeon Wraith said:

Clearly I must be MANTANK'ing wrong, since I genuinely have no idea how you're meant to dodge bullets as a LCG.

You're supposed to stand still and get healed, like a tank but duck like a man from that sniper shot which inevitably takes out your rep-guy

Then, 

ya die

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use it to scan on Outposts and then I use it to basically chase engineers around with because a medium isn't that manoeuvrable or a bit of light suppressing fire, it's a bit pathetic and I don't like the sound or its slow rate of fire but it has its usefulness. A light tank is super manoeuvrable already, not sure if both light and med should have it?

I would really like to see some sort of dedicated anti-infantry Gatling Cannon tank similar to what the Chinooks presently has (possibly for both sides), something to get a heavy machine gun on the field which doesn't have paper cup armour like the humvee or buggy and not as crap as whatever is used on the APCs that makes hitting anything so hard. Someone even created a model somewhere? I sort of like the wolverine but it's soo small and has no vantage height unless it was to grow and obviously doesn't suit Nod at all.

And on a side note, I really dislike how crappy the Officer weapon has become in recent times because now even soldiers/flame throwers can seemingly take it on with ease and its fire is too precise now. It used to feel more like this, scanning for LCG.