Guard Towers

Redarmy

Guard Towers  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should more guard towers be added to maps to balance the turret to GT ratio?

• Add GTs to Field/Field X?
    • Add GTs to Under?
    • Don't add any GTs?

To be honest

Am I the only one who think turret/guard tower/AA are aktually weak?

I mean when a commander use cruise missile strike then the support structure is almost dead and needs only a few shot to be taken out.

Even ingame some people laugh why technicans/engineers keep repairing them when they are useless (example taken out when I played at hourglass)

At least that is why I dont like medium sized maps that have more than 1 entrance path (for tanks and infantry) and is only guarded by turrets and guard towers, because those turrets/guard towers seems like they could defend your base but they are actually taken out that fast that you cant react to that fast enough, and even then nobody is all the time there to repair it and sometimes nobody cares about them at all.

In my opinion those support structures should play a bigger role than just base decoration, like in Walls where it actually do because it cover almost the half field from helicopters.

I always see that Nod base defenses are good against tanks while the GDI ones are good against infantry and light vehicles since GDI already have better tanks. I think this is how Westwood put in the asymmetric balance to it.

I'm not a fan of having more guard towers. Nod turret alone aren't very powerful in what they do (destroying tanks) but the guard tower is too good against infantry. When GDI attacks Nod base on Under or Field, the outer GT is always the first to go down. The AGT already have machine guns and the AGT can handle infiltrations as effective as how turrets + obelisk handle tanks. Base defenses only act as support so Nod players are forced to have teamwork or be very careful if they want to sneak in. Most of the element in defense should come from the players efforts. Having guard towers along with a working AGT gives GDI more than enough defense.

Also, the problem with Under and Field is that GDI always dominate the field with their tanks, I don't think Nod should be nerf in their infiltration and sneaking attempt. Even if GDI loses their power plant on Under, it still takes ages for Nod to finish off GDI even when they can sneak around all base.

The only GT that bugs me is the one beside Airstrip on Flakeside, because it always gets me while GDI can't seem to get it.
Its the most well positioned GT in the entire game if you ask me.

Turrets and Guard towers haven't been high tech for a century, i dont find it that weird that both factions have access to them even if it isn't cannon.
It does make more sense for Nod to have Turrets, since GDI have the tank armor advantage.
I think they are pretty good as they are, airstrikes and cruise missiles should bring them down to red HP.

Do we need more? eeeeh... if they are in a position where they can be somewhat easily dealt with i dont mind.

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Syntharn said:

The only GT that bugs me is the one beside Airstrip on Flakeside, because it always gets me while GDI can't seem to get it.
Its the most well positioned GT in the entire game if you ask me.

At least it is doing it's job then :)

Its not hard to kill or bypass if you go about it properly, although it was moved to be slightly better at catching those going for the HoN and Ref, it just had the side effect of being good against the Air as well :) 

• Haha 1

Adding Guard Towers to maps with an Obby/AGT seems redundant 

Whereas a carefully placed sentry gun inside a building or a few on some other maps without defences, the trick with one sentry gun a building is to leave a blind spot but a small one. 

Like adding 1 Guard Tower and 1 Gun Turret to the tib field at the back of the bases on Complex, both mostly obscured from view by the Refinery so the right side of the tib field (or partially in it) - they don't nullify infiltration, they just add 1 extra step and perhaps this offers new players a learning opportunity about having to be aware of stealth or slither-some med tanks

Editorial side-note:  In original C&C (at least on the PS1) when playing GDI missions Nod had Guard Towers and when playing Nod missions GDI sometimes had Gun Turrets [Usually in the last stretch of missions]

Edited by Madkill40

On 1/13/2019 at 8:57 AM, Madkill40 said:

Adding Guard Towers to maps with an Obby/AGT seems redundant

Also, they do their job very well, if they were limited in some way to how they can defend against infantry, they wouldn't break any and all options by existing without having to obliterate them as step1.

• Totem Arts Staff

Before the Open Beta got released LakeSide HAD an extra guard tower / turret defending the infantry path. I kinda understand why it got removed in the first place so the player had more freedom in the back for sneaking. I love there is always 1-2 sneaking routes in a map.

Think about Under. OG Under had walls guarding the PP's, while RenX doesn't have those stupid things. A reason why I hate Old Field is because of 0 sneaking routes. And lord Hourglass is hell! That's why I love Whiteout

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Exactly, they're maps where you have to overcome obstacles to naturally open more options. Same concept as the SAMS on Walls. 

Having maps with limited options is fine. They're better for smaller games, or just to have long games. If people really hated them they wouldn't vote for them. Field and Under are still two of my favourite maps honestly. Not every map needs to be infiltration heaven.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or should the AGT have a second floor to it. I mean it is supposed to be a tower so why only 1 floor? You don't have to move the MCT to the second floor.

As for the guard towers and turrets (the secondary non powered defense) I think they should have a little crawl space so you can place C4 and destroy them instantly. Have a ladder under the guard tower that takes you up to the gun with a place C4 icon. For the turret have a small trench cut out so you can get under it and place C4. We are all supposed to be commandos, make taking out the defense a little more commando like.