UDK and Blender have me beat. (Not anymore, HaHaHa!)

HIHIHI

So, after quite a few tries of exporting the skeletal mesh of my digger, including tries with both *.fbx and *.psk, several different settings on import/export, etc, I have made little progress. I can export an fbx file from Blender, run it through a converter from Autodesk to make it fbx 2013, and import it as a static mesh into the SDK, but trying to import it as a skeletal mesh crashes the SDK. I also tried exporting it as a psk file, but that also crashes the SDK.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Attached are my blend file, an fbx, and a psk. Really, this is quite frustrating. If anyone can help me get this into the SDK as a skeletal mesh, they will have my extreme gratitude.

Digger16.blend

Digger16.3.fbx

Digger16.psk

HIHIHI

Edited by HIHIHI

I took a look at the fbx………..seemed complex to follow as I saw there were unnecessary bones unless you wanted to make an animation of the digger? 

one thing I would already suggest is to follow havocs tutorial on his naming conventions it's much easier to understand which name relates to what it's related to..... but whatever helps you....

another is I would suggest you bind the bones in wireframe view it looks like the binds are very scattered and might be a reason it cant import... but when you bind make sure you are clicking on the specific shape and not a section of the entire mesh..... in case that's what you did otherwise skip this...

what I did was make a root bone which represents the object and all it's parts and now this bone I bounded it to the entire object.  Afterwards I decided to make a driver bone needed to spawn an animation and thus a model and this bone I did not bind anything to it.  

the yaw and pitch bones are related to the parts of the object I wanted to have turn (turn left and turn right - Yaw) and then what parts I wanted to look up and look down - pitch.  the locations of these 2 bones is specific too because any part of the object binded to  these bones will turn in the bones axis.  So if I bind the wheels to the pitch the wheels will then rotate in the pitch bones axis …..

the wheels then are in the respective places and named accordingly and every name has b in it meaning bone.  it is easier to know which bones correlates to what area of the object so when you get into coding and the sdk part everything is right there in front of you easier to know which is witch.

and the objects pivot point is at 0,0,0 so that when you spawn said vehicle the spawn is at that 0,0,0 mark and not half in the map or something else

done in 3ds max... sorry not blender...

zombies!!!!.jpg

• Thanks 1

in said pic ive put my yaw bone in the center of a cylinder in the center of the vehicle and this bone is boundthe entire top half of the vehicle EXCLUDING the tracks.  pitch bone is at that elbow part in the arm as if I want to dig a hole but …

as I understand it that's all that can be done unless there were animations but the animations I believe have to be tied in with the settings you add in the SDK for your vehicle... 

also my root bone is where the name will show up too when you put your cursor over it... so should be somewhere convient 

• Thanks 1

Okay, thanks a lot, Veyron. If you thought that fbx was complicated, you should have seen some of my earlier versions. I'll try to make a simpler setup like you did, too, as I think my main version won't even have the digger arm. I was rigging it more as a first exercise. Probably I should focus on getting a simple skeletal mesh (Like with just a root bone) imported so that I can get a process established.

As I understand, Kenz, there is no ActorX plugin for Blender, exactly, but there is a *.psk/*.psa exporter. I might try that after I make a simplified digger.

Also, thanks very much for your mapping tutorials, Kenz. They have been extremely useful in making my map (Although the digger has been taking my time when I work RenX stuff.).

Gratefully, HIHIHI

• Totem Arts Staff

7 hours ago, kenz3001 said:

i beleve you need to use a plugin called actorx but i only know of the ds max version (i could be wrong)

ActorX is for Max and Maya only I think. The latest version is supported (2018)

ya just look at the left side of the pic to get a jist of how each bone is connected to one another like the yaw and pitch bones since they're both movements that are attached to each other. just like havocs tuts... 

and fbx is typically the file format you want.  there are others but all depends on what prog you're using and whats easiest? I have always done fbx even between different progs since most modeling programs recognize what an fbx is.

also I have a paint program which I can import my fbx files too and paint directly over the model CALLED Paint3D might be a default paint program idk 

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Thanks 1

Okay, thanks for the confirmation on fbx. I have Paint 3D as well; it is a standard Microsoft program. Thanks for letting me know, maybe it will be useful.

I must confess I haven't really watched Havoc's tutorials, because they are in Max, and as a beginner, I needed to learn Blender as I learned everything else, so a tutorial in Max wasn't much help. Maybe I can gain more from them now that I have a bit of a basic foundation.

Thanks, HIHIHI

VICTORY IS MINE! I HAVE BLENDER AND UDK BEAT!

Okay, so maybe not all the way, but I have successfully imported a skeletal mesh of the digger from Blender into UDK. I don't know all of what I did right, but one thing I found was that I had to have all vertex groups assigned to bones. I have a workflow now that appears to work, and it's not terribly hard, either. Just don't stare at my computer or something is bound to break. : )

I still need to refine the armature; there aren't even any wheel bones yet. This is solely a proof that I CAN finally import. Then I guess maybe a few animations and then coding!

VICTORY.thumb.PNG.ee359a8766905fa32caca3523fe867c1.PNG

HIHIHI

• Like 2

Thanks to Thursday's MAJOR breakthrough, I now have been able to finish Havoc89's tutorial videos and can actually spawn a digger while playing in the editor! It still has some work to do, but this is another big mark of progress!

Thank you all for your assistance, especially @Havoc89 for your tutorials!

I will probably have some more questions coming soon as I work through the rest of this, but those can wait.

Happily,

HIHIHI

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so here are some questions. The digger was set up pretty much like Havoc's supertank, except that it has no weapon. (It used to have one that fired a 25-round magazine of med tank projectiles at 10 rounds per second and took out a building in less than two magazines. Maybe just a bit OP. : )   )

1. When driving on the Test MP map, it seems like the digger sinks below the ground. Back when I had a gun with recoil on it, it would appear above the ground when I fired and then go back below. I noticed that the Test MP map has a terrain instead of a landscape. Any idea what causes this?

2. I have been testing it on Gobi instead (For no real reason other than that it has a landscape, which the digger drives on top of.). When driving it up the airstrip, it seems to sink below it at the approximate location of the big white numbers and when transitioning from the ramp to the red platform. Any idea what causes this?

3. When I turn the digger in place, it turns around a point at its back instead of its middle. It does have the root bone and the pivot point in the middle, as far as I know. Any idea what causes this?

4. If the digger is on the ground, I can only get in by shooting at the roof to make its front lift up and then getting in. It seems like the digger has to be raised to get in it. Any idea what causes this?

I can come up with some other questions later, but these will do for now. Attached are the code and the package. I'm not asking for anyone to fix it, I just would like a little guidance.

Thanks,

HIHIHI

Rx_Vehicle_Digger_Weapon.uc

Rx_Vehicle_Digger_Wheel.uc

Rx_Vehicle_Digger.uc

RX_VH_Digger.upk

EDIT: I am using the 03-03-2017 version of the SDK, if that matters.

p.s. (It's pretty funny to spawn up a bunch of diggers and destroy the enemy wf/air, then spawn a bunch of bots on the enemy team. You suddenly become a digger magnet. : )   )

Edited by HIHIHI

I do have the newest SDK, just on a different computer. And maybe it's not really related, but I got the skeletal mesh imported very soon after I started working on this computer instead of the other, so I'm a little hesitant to change things on it. : ) However, must of my work is done on the newest SDK.

Thanks, HIHIHI

Okay, scratch number 3. I was looking at things and found that the COMOffset (Which I found was Center Of Mass, and started to suspect it) was not near the actual center of the digger. I set it to x=0, y=0, z=-10 and now the digger handles much more nicely. It turns very nearly at its center and it doesn't tip around when it goes backwards.

An update on number one: it seems that what's really happening is that in the first-person view, it's normal except that I can't see the mesh. In the third-person view, I think that the digger is still on top of the terrain, but the camera is at ground level.

Problem 2 is still the same, and problem 4 is the same except that my COMOffset change keeps it from raising when I shoot the roof. :  ) Of course this won't be necessary when it's fixed.

Original post:

Spoiler
On 1/5/2019 at 9:56 PM, HIHIHI said:

Okay, so here are some questions. The digger was set up pretty much like Havoc's supertank, except that it has no weapon. (It used to have one that fired a 25-round magazine of med tank projectiles at 10 rounds per second and took out a building in less than two magazines. Maybe just a bit OP. : )   )

1. When driving on the Test MP map, it seems like the digger sinks below the ground. Back when I had a gun with recoil on it, it would appear above the ground when I fired and then go back below. I noticed that the Test MP map has a terrain instead of a landscape. Any idea what causes this?

2. I have been testing it on Gobi instead (For no real reason other than that it has a landscape, which the digger drives on top of.). When driving it up the airstrip, it seems to sink below it at the approximate location of the big white numbers and when transitioning from the ramp to the red platform. Any idea what causes this?

3. When I turn the digger in place, it turns around a point at its back instead of its middle. It does have the root bone and the pivot point in the middle, as far as I know. Any idea what causes this?

4. If the digger is on the ground, I can only get in by shooting at the roof to make its front lift up and then getting in. It seems like the digger has to be raised to get in it. Any idea what causes this?

I can come up with some other questions later, but these will do for now. Attached are the code and the package. I'm not asking for anyone to fix it, I just would like a little guidance.

Thanks,

HIHIHI

Rx_Vehicle_Digger_Weapon.uc

Rx_Vehicle_Digger_Wheel.uc

Rx_Vehicle_Digger.uc

RX_VH_Digger.upk

EDIT: I am using the 03-03-2017 version of the SDK, if that matters.

p.s. (It's pretty funny to spawn up a bunch of diggers and destroy the enemy wf/air, then spawn a bunch of bots on the enemy team. You suddenly become a digger magnet. : )   )

Thanks,

HIHIHI

EDIT: Not trying to bug anyone, but I'm kind of lost without @Havoc89 or @Veyron or someone. If people have been busy, I understand completely.

Edited by HIHIHI
  • Like 1

Today is a glorious day for Nod and GDI construction crews!

Problems 1, 2, and 4 have been solved, all by the same simple action!

I moved the location of my armature up. It seems that with the way Blender and UDK are, it treats the location (origin, I think?) of the armature object as a bone. I always had this at (0, 0, 0) because people said that it was VERY important to have the pivot point of one's vehicle at (0, 0, 0). However, I was experimenting today and decided to move this up (As it seemed that it was moved up in stock RenX vehicles). Now in Blender, it says that the origin of the armature is moved up about 0.77 units (meters, I think). However, in UDK, it says that the origin of the skeletal mesh is at (0, 0, 0), but my root bone is about halfway up the digger. So somehow it's all good. My cameras no longer behave strangely on the air or on terrain, and I can get in the digger while it's standing on the ground. So now it needs some handling tweaks, and I think that part of it is done!

Happily,

HIHIHI

Edited by HIHIHI
All caps AND up top looked kind of silly.
  • Like 1

Ok, if anyone wants to have fun with the new and improved version of the digger in the editor, here are the files. Please note that this is not the final version. The final version will not have the tracks spinning sideways. : )

You should be able to just unzip this into the base folder of the SDK and compile scripts to have it ready. The class right now is "RenX_Game.Rx_vehicle_Digger_bkup". If I should put it outside of RenX_Game, let me know and it will be done.

RenX_Digger_Alpha1.zip (Old)

RenX_Digger_Alpha1.01.zip (New, proper *.uc location)

Edited by HIHIHI
Added updated *.zip.

• Totem Arts Staff
1 minute ago, HIHIHI said:

Ok, if anyone wants to have fun with the new and improved version of the digger in the editor, here are the files. Please note that this is not the final version. The final version will not have the tracks spinning sideways. : )

You should be able to just unzip this into the base folder of the SDK and compile scripts to have it ready. The class right now is "RenX_Game.Rx_vehicle_Digger_bkup". If I should put it outside of RenX_Game, let me know and it will be done.

RenX_Digger_Alpha1.zip

Putting them in RenX_Game is fine for the editor, though not advised. This method would also not work if you wanted to test on a server with someone else besides yourself