Renegade X on Linux

testman

9 hours ago, SonnyX said:

A non .NET launcher is coming. I could simply hook the following launcher up to run the game using System's default wine.

308454838_Screenshotfrom2019-08-0911-10-58.thumb.png.0fae0e6440f9a2bcaf7c72a5f98dd6c1.png

However I need some of the linux users to help me systematically test what dependencies are actually required, give best results, etc to make a truly native launcher.

Awesome! :)

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

https://github.com/TotemArts/Launcher/

To get a feel of the upcoming launcher (for windows and linux), then you should feel free to `git clone` and follow the instructions in the Readme. You will also need to install Rustup. As it is, the launcher can only be used to download the game on linux. Not to launch it.

A separate linux branch will be created once I have the windows-version completed.
I hope some of you can help me unravel the mysteries of `wine` before that.

I may create a wiki-page where we can share our results of our `wine` testing, with instructions how to contribute to the testing.

Edited by SonnyX
Add more info.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, dotnetfx40 said:

btw i deploy launcher under linux, but how run native unreal engine with renegade x ?

Maybe some linux power user write some how-to

Please refer to: https://wiki.renegade-x.com/wiki/Linux_Guide

Also there is no native running of RenegadeX on linux, only through emulation (wine), can we play the game on this operating system.

• Totem Arts Staff
46 minutes ago, dotnetfx40 said:

tnx but wine is not the native unreal engine under linux

Running the game native on linux is impossible for the engine we are using.

The engine RenX is built upon is UE3.5 which is also known as Unreal Development Kit (UDK).

try your launcher.... and no success
---
cargo check
 crates.io index
 git repository `https://github.com/SonnyX/RenegadeX-patcher-lib`
 git repository `https://github.com/SonnyX/rust-embed-resource`
 git repository `https://github.com/SonnyX/xdelta-decoder-rust.git`
 spurious network error (2 tries remaining): no Content-Type header in response; class=Net (12)
 spurious network error (1 tries remaining): no Content-Type header in response; class=Net (12)
 failed to load source for a dependency on `xdelta`

Caused by:
  Unable to update https://github.com/SonnyX/xdelta-decoder-rust.git

Caused by:
  failed to update submodule `lzma-sys/xz`

Caused by:
  failed to fetch submodule `lzma-sys/xz` from https://git.tukaani.org/xz.git

Caused by:
  no Content-Type header in response; class=Net (12)

• Totem Arts Staff

run `sh ./fix-build-issues.sh` inside of the folder.
Please note that the Launcher is not ready for use, nor does provide anything at the moment for Linux users other than being able to download the game.

Edited by SonnyX
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 6:53 PM, SonnyX said:

run `sh ./fix-build-issues.sh` inside of the folder.

$ ./fix-build-issues.sh 
Entering 'lzma-sys/xz'
Entering 'lzma-sys/xz'
merge: origin - not something we can merge
Stopping at 'lzma-sys/xz'; script returned non-zero status.
fatal: Needed a single revision
Unable to find current revision in submodule path 'lzma-sys/xz'

Edited by Monsterovich

• Totem Arts Staff
13 minutes ago, Monsterovich said:

$ ./fix-build-issues.sh 
Entering 'lzma-sys/xz'
Entering 'lzma-sys/xz'
merge: origin - not something we can merge
Stopping at 'lzma-sys/xz'; script returned non-zero status.
fatal: Needed a single revision
Unable to find current revision in submodule path 'lzma-sys/xz'

Can you show me the output of the following?

cd "$( ls -1tqd ~/.cargo/git/checkouts/xdelta-*/*/ | head -n 1 )" || exit
ls -1tq ./lzma-sys/xz/

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can confirm lutris install worked for me™ on debian 10. Used the .yml from lutris.net with updated download link.

[EDIT]

Followed @rm5248's notes, super valuable, ty!

No Glitches, no sound related problems. The only weird thing is, the installer ignores my precious display name, so i have to take up the fight as 'Player[1-9]+' . Any Suggestions?

Edited by mkirc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/9/2019 at 11:14 AM, SonnyX said:

A non .NET launcher is coming. I could simply hook the following launcher up to run the game using System's default wine.

Is it possible to join a multiplayer game this way?

I Thought one has to browse the game servers in the launcher and then select the server and launch the game. Can I also list and join servers when in game?

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, topas-rec said:

Is it possible to join a multiplayer game this way?

I Thought one has to browse the game servers in the launcher and then select the server and launch the game. Can I also list and join servers when in game?

There is a multiplayer menu on the main menu that has a server list.

• Like 1

Just spend some time with RenX on Arch Linux. Want to share some results:

* Native .NET launcher does not work (even when all the installation hints on the wiki were used) (No Lutris scripts also were no help - didn't blindly ran them, just used them to install things in wineprefix manually)

* Non .NET Launcher has issues. I reported three recently. Great iniative! Keep this going TotemArts!

* After installing on a windows machine and copying to Arch the game ran without further tweaking out of the box without performance issues. (Yes I ignored stuttering at the beginning when the shader cache is built up)

Wine AppDB (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=13916) entry submitted with a lot of details for current version 5.66 - currently waiting for approval.

Edited by topas-rec

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, topas-rec said:

Just spend some time with RenX on Arch Linux. Want to share some results:

* Native .NET launcher does not work (even when all the installation hints on the wiki were used) (No Lutris scripts also were no help - didn't blindly ran them, just used them to install things in wineprefix manually)

* Non .NET Launcher has issues. Three were reported recently. Great iniative! Keep this going TotemArts!

* After installing on a windows machine and copying to Arch the game ran without further tweaking out of the box without performance issues. (Yes I ignored stuttering at the beginning when the shader cache is built up)

Wine AppDB (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=13916) entry submitted with a lot of details for current version 5.66 - currently waiting for approval.

Unfortunately the Rust launcher, isn't really being updated anymore, however it is still semi-usable but does have some issues as you said. We are working on another launcher that is built on Electron. Thanks very much for updating WineHQ!

7 hours ago, NodSaibot said:

We are working on another launcher that is built on Electron

Cross platform - sounds great.

7 hours ago, NodSaibot said:

Thanks very much for updating WineHQ!

It would be nice if one could update the Linux guide.

All the tweaks seem to be only necessary for the launcher and this is not mentioned. The game itself seems to work out of the box without wine tweaking. I cannot find recent reports that this launcher works with wine. If one would know that these tweaks are only required for the launcher, one might want to work around the launcher on linux.

Even more when one knows, that an alternative (well a second alternative) launcher is on it's way.

Btw when do you think the electron launcher is ready?

• Totem Arts Staff
25 minutes ago, topas-rec said:

Cross platform - sounds great.

It would be nice if one could update the Linux guide.

All the tweaks seem to be only necessary for the launcher and this is not mentioned. The game itself seems to work out of the box without wine tweaking. I cannot find recent reports that this launcher works with wine. If one would know that these tweaks are only required for the launcher, one might want to work around the launcher on linux.

Even more when one knows, that an alternative (well a second alternative) launcher is on it's way.

Btw when do you think the electron launcher is ready?

I do agree that documentation is outdated. The Electron launcher is in a working state, we use it for the Firestorm alpha internally at the moment. Once we get some finishing touches sorted like auto updating, we will be releasing it. It is a high priority for us.

Hello there.

I had made a small bash script for myself some time ago for installation/patching/verifying files, thought I should share it, even though I haven’t played in a long time. It is kinda slow and barebones but it does the job, maybe someone will find it useful while there is no official launcher for linux.

https://github.com/r1c0ch3t/ren-x-scripts

You will need to install the following packages for script to work:

jq xdelta3

Please read the script before executing it!

Run.sh launches the game using Proton experimental. You will need to install it via Steam.

You might also need to download https://lutris.net/files/tools/dll/d3dcompiler_47.dll to compile shaders on first launch. Put it in Renegade X/Binaries/Win64 folder.

So I was able to run it on a Steam Deck with info from this post. 

I hardly have any experience with Linux, so I was surprised it worked! 

Still having some issues (did not spend much time on those so far):

- Mouse and keyboard work for me, but I have not been able to appoint all input from Steam Deck itself. 

- No launcher and I have not yet found a way to launch from Steam. 

- The second time I was having weird overlay issues with the minimap, but not the first play. 

- My Steam username was used the first time, second time it used "User1234" with 1234 being a random? number. 

Edited by Laropo

• Totem Arts Staff
On 11/5/2022 at 6:41 AM, Laropo said:

- My Steam username was used the first time, second time it used "User1234" with 1234 being a random? number. 

Not sure exactly how the Steam detection works on a platform like that, but it just puts the number for how many users have connected, starting at 256.

• 1 month later...

Found the new launcher (I guess it is electron based) here: https://totemarts.games/forums/topic/79582-introducing-the-totem-arts-launcher/

Tried it under arch:

Does install, but does launch with a JavaScript error.

Running it through wine console fixes that error and shows the following output with a black (loading/splash?) screen:

[264:1213/204313.750:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(224)] WSALookupService
Begin failed with: 0
20:43:14.304 > Application ready
[384:1213/204314.465:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(224)] WSALookupService
Begin failed with: 0
20:43:14.961 > Checking for update
20:43:15.705 > Update for version 1.0.12 is not available (latest v
ersion: 1.0.12, downgrade is disallowed).
20:43:15.714 > Loading games from https://launcher.totemarts.servic
es/games.json
20:43:15.716 > onBeforeSendHeaders hook in main allowing launcher.to
temarts.services
20:43:16.331 > 1 Games Loaded!
20:43:16.348 > onBeforeSendHeaders hook in main allowing totemarts.g
ames
20:43:16.887 > onBeforeSendHeaders hook in main allowing totemarts.g
ames
20:43:17.291 > onBeforeSendHeaders hook in main allowing totemarts.g
ames
20:43:17.696 > onBeforeSendHeaders hook in main allowing totemarts.g
ames
20:43:18.272 > onBeforeSendHeaders hook in main allowing totemarts.g
ames
20:43:18.273 > onBeforeSendHeaders hook in main allowing totemarts.g
ames

image.thumb.png.e22dfab3800cc3b227bd14ea8fc33ea6.png

FYI

Edited by topas-rec

I experienced something similar as well with Debian.  I did eventually get the launcher built, however it appears that the source code that is available on github is not the same version that is available for download, which is really quite frustrating to get this working.  The version that I built manually did appear on screen at least, but when I tried to drag the window around it went kinda crazy all around the desktop.

I did update my launcher to point at the correct URL to get the server list at least though; I need to check to see if the URL for the updates changed at all.

18 hours ago, topas-rec said:

Running it through wine console fixes that error and shows the following output with a black (loading/splash?) screen:

In fact it seems the launcher has started, just the GUI is black.

When I hover over the black area the mouse icon sometimes changes to a hyperlink hand icon.

Clicking it opens web pages of Totem Arts.

• 5 months later...

Can someone from the development team give us an update if there is progress regarding the elevation launcher linux build OR take this comment into development as a request for building the electron launcher for linux?

Thanks and best wishes.

• 1 month later...

After attempting all the Lutris scripts available on the Lutris install webpage, consulting the outdated Renegade X Linux guide and having no success at all (Lutris errors out at the start of the install, with an unhelpful error 256 or error 13568) I slept on the issue, then decided to try something else.

I had kept my Renegade X folder from a Windows install, which I dragged over into my Home/Games folder on Linux Mint, then I went to Lutris and added the folder as "Add locally installed game".

Name -> Renegade X

Runner -> Wine

Then

Right click on Renegade X in the main Lutris window, chose Configure -> Game options tab.

Executable -> Renegade X Launcher.exe

Working directory -> Renegade X

Then under Runner options tab

Wine version -> lutris-GE-Proton8-15-x86_64

This last bit might only show "System(versionnumber)" and "lutris-(versionnumber)" for you. I had added GE-Proton8 by using the software "ProtonUp-Qt" available from Flathub since before. I do not know if this is required, however.

This uses the classic Launcher.

Sidenote: If you want to run Renegade X through Steam, you should use the Steam client available for download from store.steampowered.com and not the Flatpak, otherwise it will not have permissions to view other installed software outside of Steam itself.

Remaining issues now is while I have added Renegade X to be launched through Steam as a non-Steam game, Steam does not seem to display the game as "Running" and thus never enables the Steam In-Game UI. If anyone has any ideas how to solve this, please write a post about it!

The other issue is that the Launcher (not in game) seems to forget all settings between each startup (username, skip intro movies). Not sure why this is the case.

Excuse me if something is I wrote is incredibly dumb or obvious, I am not a Linux expert. :)

Edited by NodCommander
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

As of 26 February, 2024, this game (and the official launcher) currently works perfectly for me on Linux Mint 21.3 Edge, on an NVIDIA GTX 1050. I ran the normal Totem Arts Launcher from the Downloads page through the flatpak version of Bottles (settings displayed below) and the game both installed and plays fine on Linux, after installing some dependencies.

There don't seem to be any visual glitches, and my launcher/game settings are saved without any problems. I do get the occasional crash on some map switches, but I notice I'm not the only one (as when I reconnect the server lost like 50% of players), so I am not sure this is a WINE issue.

Though before the game actually launches, I get a message saying UDK.exe cannot be started, and it asks me if I want to view detailed information about the issue or not. I click NO (two times) and the game starts anyway. I am VERY glad the game works on Linux, because I got rid of my Windows install, and I'm not a fan of frequent dual-booting.

I use Bottles (v51.11, the Flatpak version) to play the game, and wine-ge-proton8-26 as the WINE Runner for the Bottle. The Bottle was created using the Gaming preset, and it's set to Windows 10. The following settings (mostly the default settings) are set to ON: Discrete Graphics, Feral GameMode, Mouse Warp, Window Manager Decorations. Also, the Synchronization is set to Fsync. The following dependencies (and the UE3 redistributable) are installed in the Bottle. I assume it wouldn't work without these:

1.     -d3dx9
  2.     -msls31
  3.     -d3dcompiler_43
  4.     -d3dcompiler_47
  5.     -d3dx11
  6.     -mono (Wine mono)
  7.     -gecko (Wine gecko)
  8.     -dotnetcoredesktop3
  9.     -dotnetcore3
  10.     -dotnet35
  11.     -dotnet35sp1
  12.     -dotnet40