Rigging Digger

HIHIHI

So I think it would be kind of fun to have a drivable version of the skid steer/digger that is in the SDK. The question is: would getting this thing drivable be too big a project for a first-time vehicle rigger/3d modeler (me)? Or should I start with making my own simple models, purpose-built for rigging and driving?

Any modeling I do will be in Blender, unless someone can tell me of a better solution that's still free. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars or more for software I may not use very much.

Thanks, HIHIHI

• Former Developers

You can use blender to make it. I haven't personally used blender, but I hear good things. I believe autodesk has a free student version of Maya. 3DS Max is another option. 

Something like this is a great way to start getting into 3d modeling and rigging. I have a vehicle rigging tutorial in 3ds max, but the same can be done in maya, and I assume blender.

• Thanks 1

@Havoc89

So, I have a rough version of the digger rigged. I can export my skeletal mesh from Blender as a *.FBX file and import in into the SDK. However, in the SDK, both in the thumbnail and when placed in the world, the model is nose down (regardless, it seems, of orientation settings used at export). I can make it right-side up by changing the Rot Origin of the Skeletal Mesh in the AnimSet Editor. My question is: is changing the Rot Origin an acceptable way of making it upright, or will it not work unless it is upright on import without messing with the AnimSet Editor?

Thanks, HIHIHI

p.s. Maybe I can post screenshots tomorrow if you need them.

Edited by HIHIHI
Added screenshot sentence

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, HIHIHI said:

@Havoc89

So, I have a rough version of the digger rigged. I can export my skeletal mesh from Blender as a *.FBX file and import in into the SDK. However, in the SDK, both in the thumbnail and when placed in the world, the model is nose down (regardless, it seems, of orientation settings used at export). I can make it right-side up by changing the Rot Origin of the Skeletal Mesh in the AnimSet Editor. My question is: is changing the Rot Origin an acceptable way of making it upright, or will it not work unless it is upright on import without messing with the AnimSet Editor?

Thanks, HIHIHI

p.s. Maybe I can post screenshots tomorrow if you need them.

how would it mess up the animset editor? 

• Former Developers

This may be an issue with axis orientation. Some programs flip X, Y, Z directions. Unreal and 3DS Max use Z as up, while Maya uses Y as up. I'm not sure what Blender is, but there should be export options in fbx to dictate which axis to use as up direction.