Updates...

Thirsty

Hi Guys,

Cannot believe I've only just found this mod(!), yes really xD

I'm struggling to find the individual updates to download, the ModDB page only shows 'Renegade X: Beta 5', but not does list the recent patches? 

I used the auto installer but due to download times/connection reliability, I'd really like to be able to download and keep the patches (including the base game file)? Do you plan on putting these patches in your links or ModDB?

Excellent mod - thank you!

-Thirsty.

@Thirsty welcome to RenX.

The ModDB site is not maintained (by any RenX dev). There used to be a community download archive but apparently @iTweek. doesn't maintain that either anylonger.

Maybe one of the developers can help out if you really wish to play the different versions :/ the ModDB stage is way different from the current game ;)

1 hour ago, Neeez said:

@Thirsty welcome to RenX.

The ModDB site is not maintained (by any RenX dev). There used to be a community download archive but apparently @iTweek. doesn't maintain that either anylonger.

Maybe one of the developers can help out if you really wish to play the different versions :/ the ModDB stage is way different from the current game ;)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes I can see ModDB is not being updated any longer, my question really is - can the developers add their most recent updates as individual downloads as well as the main base game file?  (not necessarily different versions, just the latest base file + patches etc)...

I know allot of mod sites do this, I find auto-installers sometimes unreliable, or slower than bringing files down independently and install freely. I was expecting to see links to the patches for example on your patch news feeds. Maybe I'm just old-skool ;)

Update: I've just noticed looking through older posts, the team originally supplied links to the patches in their threads...maybe this stopped happening? For example 'Renegade X: Patch 5.26 Released' has links to the patch files...(which I presume will overwrite each other?)

Edited by Thirsty

19 minutes ago, Thirsty said:

Update: I've just noticed looking through older posts, the team originally supplied links to the patches in their threads...maybe this stopped happening?

Installation and patches are done exclusively via the RenX Launcher application's built-in update mechanism. Formerly a few members of the community have provided 3rdparty mirrors to standalone packages, but that was not officially supported.

The ModDB site was created back in 2007 when Renegade X was literally a mod to Unreal 3, ever since it was re-designed to be a standalone game (based on Unreal Development Kit) the ModDB page gradually fell out of use.

28 minutes ago, limsup said:

Installation and patches are done exclusively via the RenX Launcher application's built-in update mechanism. Formerly a few members of the community have provided 3rdparty mirrors to standalone packages, but that was not officially supported.

The ModDB site was created back in 2007 when Renegade X was literally a mod to Unreal 3, ever since it was re-designed to be a standalone game (based on Unreal Development Kit) the ModDB page gradually fell out of use.

Hi Limsup, ah, so it was members who posted the mirrors...OK.   May I ask why the team rely solo on people using the launcher? Curious! As it must skim off people who can't rely on fast connections for large download files, hence why I asked about mirrors. My 40MB connection took over half an hour to download everything. With mirrors I could of downloaded individually and stored for future re-installations.

When you run the RenX launcher it suggests it's for people downloading for the first time...where are the 'previous' files if it's not the first time?  ModDB? Sorry, I think it's a little confusing for new players. There is also no clear info on this download page to what version you need to be on, are patches incremental? Should players not be using older versions? Which Beta is stable etc...

No offence intended, just feedback from a newcomer! ;)

I thought ModDB was still pretty hot for mods, even now...especially if you want to keep the modding community in the loop, even if it's light updates... I guess it is more work for you guys though...

Edited by Thirsty

• Totem Arts Staff

Technically, Renegade-X is no longer a mod. Also, the reason that we no longer release patches on ModDB is because it is far easier, and less bandwidth consuming to use our launcher. We use a delta update system which automatically detects differences in the files and only downloads what needs to be updated. This reduces the download size dramatically. It isn't easy to distribute that type of update on a website, or there is just lack of interest to put the effort forth and do that.

7 hours ago, Thirsty said:

When you run the RenX launcher it suggests it's for people downloading for the first time...where are the 'previous' files if it's not the first time?  ModDB? Sorry, I think it's a little confusing for new players. There is also no clear info on this download page to what version you need to be on, are patches incremental? Should players not be using older versions? Which Beta is stable etc...

If you have never used the launcher before, you should reinstall the whole game. All of the downloaded versions from ModDB are pretty far out of date, and it's best to just download it all from the official launcher. Also, the launcher will always tell you to update, and if you by chance didn't open the launcher before the game, the game will tell you the game is out of date. If you are using an older version, you will not see any servers in the launcher. We do not release opt-in betas, or any other beta besides the official and current version, so there is no alternate version to worry about.

Any community member is welcome to keep ModDB updated or to host their own files for others to use, but we can not ensure that they are safe or up to date, so use them at your own risk.

I hope this clears up any questions you might have had. :)

• Totem Arts Staff

Another thing to note - correct me if I'm wrong - but the launcher downloader works like a torrent seeder and saves download progress. So if you DL 1GB, have to restart or lose power... then when you load up the launcher again, the download will continue from where it left off.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2018 at 12:01 PM, Thirsty said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes I can see ModDB is not being updated any longer, my question really is - can the developers add their most recent updates as individual downloads as well as the main base game file?  (not necessarily different versions, just the latest base file + patches etc)...

I know allot of mod sites do this, I find auto-installers sometimes unreliable, or slower than bringing files down independently and install freely. I was expecting to see links to the patches for example on your patch news feeds. Maybe I'm just old-skool ;)

Update: I've just noticed looking through older posts, the team originally supplied links to the patches in their threads...maybe this stopped happening? For example 'Renegade X: Patch 5.26 Released' has links to the patch files...(which I presume will overwrite each other?)