Old Renegade Mod

vlatkozelka

Hello

I've been on here since phase 3 closed Beta, back then the game was as close to Renegade as it could be. To the point where every clan out there came back to play, and quite honestly it was a blast. We'd rush back from work, just to play the game. Anyone remember the H2Mega toss? 😛

My IGN is OSTKvlat, and I've been trying it out again the past 3 days.

Developers please don't get me wrong. I fully understand that you are not trying to replicate renegade, and it's all in your right to decide on that.

I am yet to get used to the new balancing, but it seems like the new one does well at shortening game lengths, and making base destruction much more feasible, which is still an issue in old ren marathon servers (server, there's only one left :/ ) Where hard camping is impossible to break in 15 vs 15 games.

That being said, the problem is that I am finding it really hard to get any old player to try out RenX at all. Even my own clan didn't like the idea at all, and even the ones who did, didn't last long as the patches came in. It even split the clan in half and all went to shit lol...

So I was wondering, if the mod tools that are available can help with that. I am willing to work on such project myself, but was wondering if the mod tools do allow things like:

• Balancing: nerf infantry a bit, nerf flame tanks, make arties slower (or remove shift all together) , etc...
  • Lock the MRLS turret from turning. It used to be very helpful around corners and hill.
  • Remove refill timeout
  • Remove obelisk's long charge. When it stops sounding "randy, know wot I mean?" it wouldn't hold a charge anymore and doesn't insta-zap the player.
  • Remove inaccuracy from shooting off the hip, and shorten the scope distance. Right now close combat with a sniper rifle is quite hard.
  • Remove emp, smoke, nades, airstrikes, and other mechanics that weren't present in old games
  • etc...

I am not asking for a mod to be made, I want to work on it. Though any help is welcome, I'd like to know if such mods are feasible via mod tools, or are they only changeable via the source code? I'm also asking that if it's feasible, am I allowed to work on such a thing and host it? (not good with legal terms and whatnot)

If the mod tools don't allow the above. Would you be willing to enabled it?

Again, please don't take the points above as whining, or a request to change. They are only there to clarify what my intentions are.

I'll be soon posting what I actually like about the game, after I've played it enough :)

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

All of what you mentioned is available in the SDK to do.

As for a few things:

7 hours ago, vlatkozelka said:

Lock the MRLS turret from turning

Press Spacebar.

Remove refill timeout

Is very rarely an issue (unless you are mining and even then, its not likely to be that common an issue), the main reason it was removed was because Engineers with an effective infinite C4 count just chucking C4 at someone and then refilling, making them effectively unkillable (barring their own actions) while in the base.

Remove obelisk's long charge. When it stops sounding "randy, know wot I mean?" it wouldn't hold a charge anymore and doesn't insta-zap the player.

I don't find it all that bad, it only holds it for a couple of seconds. Which makes the running through Nod's base slightly longer, to balance out the effectiveness of GDI's AGT at slaughtering infantry.

However

But you can change the entire game in the SDK to however you want to play if you know how to use Unrealscript.

• Totem Arts Staff
9 hours ago, vlatkozelka said:

😛

• Balancing: nerf infantry a bit, nerf flame tanks, make arties slower (or remove shift all together) , etc...
  • Lock the MRLS turret from turning. It used to be very helpful around corners and hill.
  • Remove refill timeout
  • Remove obelisk's long charge. When it stops sounding "randy, know wot I mean?" it wouldn't hold a charge anymore and doesn't insta-zap the player.
  • Remove inaccuracy from shooting off the hip, and shorten the scope distance. Right now close combat with a sniper rifle is quite hard.
  • Remove emp, smoke, nades, airstrikes, and other mechanics that weren't present in old games
  • etc...

Yes, yes (i just did that actually) yes, yes, yes, yes. (Yes as in it's possible)

guys this is not a topic to discuss those changes. Though I respect your feedback.

All I meant is if these changes are feasible or not via the SDK. And as per ffffreak's reply, I guess they are.

I should probably get to coding 😛

Thanks for the responses

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

Somebody out there, somewhere on this forum already claimed to be making one of these. I can't for the life of me find that topic though... 

I'd encourage any modding, though considering how I feel about OldRen when I play it now, I probably wouldn't really touch it. 

• 4 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Slight but not really necro here:

If anyone has any ideas for things that need to be changed for the game to match the original, feel free to either submit and issue on the repo or just comment here. I've played both games quite extensively, but I was never a "veteran" player of the original. All ideas and contributions are welcome!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Former Developers

if you want OG Ren graphics with OG Ren gameplay then play OG Ren.

I'm not opposed to a classic mode, its just... I'd rather spend dev time else where. All of the tools are available for anyone to do literally anything with Renegade X. So its not a matter of asking questions, its a matter of putting in the work.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, Havoc89 said:

if you want OG Ren graphics with OG Ren gameplay then play OG Ren.

I'm not opposed to a classic mode, its just... I'd rather spend dev time else where. All of the tools are available for anyone to do literally anything with Renegade X. So its not a matter of asking questions, its a matter of putting in the work.

Not trying to get classic mode into RengX. But some of the mods like Red Alert and Tiberium Sun is it possible to port them over and just adapt them to RengX. I really don't have any modding experience so I don't know if it would be easier to port existing assets or start all over from scratch?

• 3 months later...

The problem with the original renegade is that it would often turn into a stalemate, with some games (most notably on walls - which is why I hate that map) lasting 8-12 hours before a moderator came on and used the !gameover command. I feel that all the changes they have made (to RenX) are pretty decent in terms of balancing out the "look and feel" of the original game VS making the game fun to play for people who aren't C&C Renegade veterans from over a decade ago.

That being said I think it does need to be a thing that someone makes a "Vanilla" mutator to restore all the default settings. For nostalgia sake if nothing else.

Edited by crazfulla