How to create a private LAN/Internet server?

Ascertes

I searched around a bit and didn't find anything relevant to this, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

A friend and I just want to set up a private server for us to play with/against each other with the AI, then close it when we're done. I've tried working with the launcher but we haven't been able to get it working. Here is what we've done:

1. I hit the Launch Server button from the launch menu.

2. Server launches, and I get the window saying the IP address for him to enter to join the game.

3. I go in the server, tell him the IP and server, then nothing happens.

We're probably doing something wrong, but I wanted to ask here because I'm not entirely sure how to get this working. I don't know much about LAN/Internet connectivity so I figured this would be the next logical step. Thanks in advance! 😊

• Totem Arts Staff

So you're on a local network? I actually don't know the support for this in RenX. I know we were working on something. You'd probably have to connect using your local IP.

image.png.38cb280f7aaeed9580e2447ac4eebd11.png

The IPv4 address would be the local IP I believe. In-game you could press f5, then type "open ip here". I am not sure though.

We're on a local network via a program called Hamachi, yeah. The game tells me the IP someone has to enter to join the game but it doesn't seem to work. If the functionality isn't there yet, that's fine. We'll give that a shot tomorrow when we can tr again!

• Totem Arts Staff

I would guess your port is open for it? Port 7777? If you have access, just port forwarding your router and using that instead of hamachi is a lot easier. You can also hide your server from the launcher so no one else can get your IP as well.

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\UDKGame\Config\UDKRenegadeX.ini, set bListed to false. Your server will no longer appear on the launcher.

We have tried entering the Port number, which is 7777, but that doesn't seem to help anything either. Although, I'm not entirely sure how to "port forward" with my router, so maybe I'm missing a step or two there. Thanks for the tip on hiding the server!

The listed IPv4 address is the same one that the game says to enter to join the server, so I don't think that's the issue. Port forwarding is also needing a lot of information that I just don't have access to (I.E., Default Gateway number,) so I think we're sunk. Oh well, we'll just stick to the public servers 😛

• Totem Arts Staff
10 minutes ago, Ascertes said:

The listed IPv4 address is the same one that the game says to enter to join the server, so I don't think that's the issue. Port forwarding is also needing a lot of information that I just don't have access to (I.E., Default Gateway number,) so I think we're sunk. Oh well, we'll just stick to the public servers 😛

If you'd like, I can setup a private server for you to play around on.

• Totem Arts Staff

https://wiki.renegade-x.com/wiki/Server

This documents all the different things to set up your own server,

However Port Forwarding is done on a per router basis

https://portforward.com/router.htm

This will give you a list of all the routers they have managed to get port forwarding on, and you can follow the guides.

Once you have done port forwarding, make sure you configure any firewall (including Windows) to accept inbound connections on that port.

• 4 years later...
On 11/5/2018 at 6:51 PM, NodSaibot said:

If you'd like, I can setup a private server for you to play around on.

Would you be able to set up a private server for me? My family is having a family reunion and we all grew up together having lan parties. Me and my brother tried making a server but couldn’t figure it out. We would appreciate it so much if you could make one for us so we could have just one more family vs family game.

thanks, 

Danny Reeves 

• Totem Arts Staff
21 hours ago, AdolescentPepe said:

Would you be able to set up a private server for me? My family is having a family reunion and we all grew up together having lan parties. Me and my brother tried making a server but couldn’t figure it out. We would appreciate it so much if you could make one for us so we could have just one more family vs family game.

thanks, 

Danny Reeves 

PM me with details and I'll see what I can do