Game requirements

winterfox

Not sure if general is the right place to put this but here goes. I have always played renegade on my desktop computer witj a gt1030 but I'll be doing alot of travelling this year and I need a laptop that will at least decently handle renegade x (this is the only graphic heavy game that I care to run). I don't want to buy a gaming laptop, so I was wondering if anyone has had any luck running it on maybe a Radeon r5 or r7? Or if there is another onboard that can run the game at a decent level? 

• 8GB RAM
  • 2x 3.1GHz
  • AMD Radeon HD 6700 series

I can play Metro 2033: last light (on medium), APB (ultra setting),  going smooth.

Playing RenX on super low settings, and my game still runs like shit. Literaly cant track infantry cuz its so delayed(..? I dont know how to call this). You can base your idea on this.

Btw, can anybody tell me whats wrong? 

• Totem Arts Staff
17 minutes ago, Axesor said:
  • 8GB RAM
  • 2x 3.1GHz
  • AMD Radeon HD 6700 series

I can play Metro 2033: last light (on medium), APB (ultra setting),  going smooth.

Playing RenX on super low settings, and my game still runs like shit. Literaly cant track infantry cuz its so delayed(..? I dont know how to call this). You can base your idea on this.

Btw, can anybody tell me whats wrong? 

Online or skirmish?

• Totem Arts Staff
57 minutes ago, Wrench said:

wait.. why is the game single core? i thought dual core

Can't tell if trolling lol

5 hours ago, Axesor said:

@taishō Both online and offline. Stable 20-40 fps, mostly under 30 tho (stable in meaning that the game does not breaks), but its hella slow.

Is your game using your GPU at all? Sometimes it has trouble finding the correct graphics card to use

@taishō So I was looking for the way to find out, and I learned that my GPU runs on 100%. Maybe its just my GPU being bad? But thats weaird, becouse previously I played RenX on laptop with very bad GPU, 4GB RAM, and 4x2.5GHz processor, and my game was running 50 FPS before overheating.

Maybe it could be gpu driver? If so, I cant find the right one on amd site. There is no Radeon HD 6700 series driver.

On 9/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, taishō said:

I would say the CPU matters more than the GPU... but we really do need updated recommended and min specs for the game. This game is more CPU intensive compared to other games. My i5 quad core 3.10Ghz runs it decently. 2GB r9 270 GPU

So it says base clock 2.5Ghz, 3.4Ghz boost clock (overclock?) In the price range that I'm looking in, I can't seem to find much higher in clock speed, just more cores. I may be expecting too much from a mid level lap top lol

Edited by winterfox

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, winterfox said:

So it says base clock 2.5Ghz, 3.4Ghz boost clock (overclock?) In the price range that I'm looking in, I can't seem to find much higher in clock speed, just more cores. I may be expecting too much from a mid level lap top lol

Admittedly I don't know much about hardware, but I would say that sounds fine. Don't quote me on this or buy it just because I said it's good though. :P 

@winterfox The HD6700 series was a mid-range card series introduced in 2010. So from a time perspective, it's ancient. Then again, I play on a HD7950 from 2012 and can get 60+ fps on ultra all with no anti-aliasing.

The HD6700 series was never a powerhouse so I think the 20-40ish fps you are getting on low are reasonable  albeit a bit low. I previously had a HD5550 which, when looking at benchmarks (I took HD6790 as your card), the HD5550  should perform much worse and I can confirm that. On my HD5550 RenX ran at 15-20 fps back in the day. Maybe turning off post-processing might help a bit, it helped me a lot back in the HD5550 days. 

The cpu on the other hand is something I cannot determine with the info you provided. 2.5Ghz base clock says as much as nothing. My Pentium 4 like 15-20 years ago had a baseclock of 2.something GHz, it cannot run RenX :P Provide the full type of the processor, then more can be said about that...

Hope this sheds a bit of light on some stuff.

Hardware used to make alot more sense back in the pentium single core days haha and alot of computers sound great until you use them. 

This is the processor and graphics that I'm interested in schmitzenbergh

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200u?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvc616oyv3QIVRJ7ACh3N0gBIEAAYASADEgLwbfD_BwE

The CPU is gonna be fine. I had a Intel Q6600 that could run RenX fine. The Ryzen 3 2200U should be better then the Q6600 according to the benchmarks . So if the Q6600 can run it, the 2200U should be more then capable. 

If I look on another site for GPU benchmarks, I can see the Vega 3 is quite capable but not a powerhouse (What did you expect from an iGPU). It's a nice GPU for some lightweight gaming and the usual office and web stuff. The more interesting thing is the benchmark for Bioshock infinte. As Bioshock infinite is an UE3 game, we can compare it to RenX which is based on the UDK that is UE3. I think Bioshock infinite needs more power than RenX does, but these are the FPS for it (I don't know why it is in German, but you'll get it I assume :P ):

Bench.png.a047fa758546ca1e4b3f4d608b46daf1.png

So on lower resolutions on medium, you should get decent fps on Bioshock. I think RenX would be less demanding, but that is just a hunch.

Not bad for an iGPU, but it aint a Nvidia Titan :P I think you can make a desicion based on this info. One thing I would advise you to get, if you are building your own pc, is fast RAM. Ryzen loves fast ram, combined with an iGPU even more. 

Hope this helps.

-Schmitz out