What is this aberration?

Radeon3

I’ve been sitting on this for too long. Now that new patch(es) are about to be realeased you might want to look into this.

If my memory serves B4 was released with an updated UDK. With plenty of new nice features a few unwanted introduced as well. One of these were chromatic abberation and the stylish vignette effect. I remember people couldn’t define what really changed with the image quality back then. Nowadays probably many got used to it even if it’s not desirable and that’s not just a subjective matter. First lemme show you the difference:

On the below picture you can see what we have today, distorted UV of the red and blue colors at the edge of the screen (check Refinery top and the hand of Hand of Nod :D). That part of the screen is sligthly darker aka the vignette effect, but this is mostly visible in the corners as this is a round layer.

Chrono+Vignette.png

This one is nice, clean of any aberration.

Clear.png

The problem is that you can’t remove these by disabling the post process' not that you want to disable all PP just to get rid of these. Could you guys hook into the PostProcess node and make them toggleable? Or remove it altogether as it impacts the perfomance around 5-10% depending on your video card. More FPS is always welcomed.

Edited by Radeon3
  • Thanks 2

Was that one of the wireframe or other retarded ones that made the game unplayable? There were like 2 of them you could play with "normally", and this one was by far the closest... it didn't remove/add anything that it shouldn't have. The one in the screenshots should be a checkbox in the settings

Edited by Canucck
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Canucck said:

Was that one of the wireframe or other retarded ones that made the game unplayable? There were like 2 of them you could play with "normally", and this one was by far the closest... it didn't remove/add anything that it shouldn't have. The one in the screenshots should be a checkbox in the settings

!

7 hours ago, Radeon3 said:

If my memory serves B4 was released with an updated UDK. With plenty of new nice features a few unwanted introduced as well. One of these were chromatic abberation and the stylish vignette effect. I remember people couldn’t define what really changed with the image quality back then. Nowadays probably many got used to it even if it’s not desirable and that’s not just a subjective matter.

The problem is that you can’t remove these by disabling the post process' not that you want to disable all PP just to get rid of these. Could you guys hook into the PostProcess node and make them toggleable? Or remove it altogether as it impacts the perfomance around 5-10% depending on your video card. More FPS is always welcomed.

8ae.gif

• Totem Arts Staff

@Canucck 

It was the one that just removed lighting from everything and was easily playable. GodRider had been doing it since literally beta 2. 

5 hours ago, Canucck said:

The one in the screenshots should be a checkbox in the settings

That was the original plan, until it became apparent that the only part of that system that's exposed outside of native code are the 2 commands to toggle forward and back. 

• 3 weeks later...