[Tool] Server Management GUI

yosh56

• Totem Arts Staff

Server Management GUI

View File

It's been a long time coming, but managing servers has been kind of a pain with sorting through all of the damn config ini files. I wrote a Python script (compiled into an executable) that should sort that out with a simple GUI. I'd call it still in alpha/beta stages now, but as far as I and @Fffreak9999 were able to tell the basic functionality is good to go. 

What it can  do: 

- Manage maps/crates and the most necessary config options 

- Create the .bat to start the server (You still) 

- Save/Load configurations (even after patching) 

What it can't do (for now)

- Scale the window appropriately. 

- Let you move more than one map at the same time 

- Be aesthetically pleasing 

Installation: 

Just extract all of the files into the 'Renegade X' root folder. Just merge the UDKGame folder in if it asks. Then run UDKHandler.exe and you should be gucci.

(I probably should have renamed it by now.. but meh.. Will rename in future versions) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the up. Seems Sarah has already installed it on the FPI server haha.

Few features for the idea pool:

• Auto restarter? (Im happy to explain how i handle auto restarting if needed)
  • Option to check and warn if Windows error reporting is enabled. (Check the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting/DontShowUI), then if the server crashes it doesnt hang on the error box.
  • I assume there is a way to check if the host server has cpu scaling enabled and also warn the user of the tool as well.
  • Allow the config tool to suggest tweaks for settings to change to improve performance?
  • Check the server specs and suggest a recommended player count?
  • Include MaxMapVoteSize, map vote history setting and bBotVotesDisabled

Still not having to redo the settings manually with each patch is amazing.

19 minutes ago, Goku said:
  • I assume there is a way to check if the host server has cpu scaling enabled and also warn the user of the tool as well.
  • Allow the config tool to suggest tweaks for settings to change to improve performance?
  • Check the server specs and suggest a recommended player count?

Some settings could be altered without too much issue, but the server would need to be a very good one to handle any major improvements, such as changing some of the engine config settings, you could potentially come up with some settings that "work" but with so many potential variables, it would start getting complicated quickly.

Also remember that this is a configuration tool, to prevent tedious altering of details it does not look into anything more than the config files, so is not set to check CPU scaling or other things of that nature.

Alerting the person setting up the server as to a recommended player count, its not that simple, since some maps are definitely more demanding, which only gets worse with size, especially with high vehicle counts. I suspect coming up with guidelines would be rather difficult.

13 minutes ago, Goku said:

Include MaxMapVoteSize, map vote history setting and bBotVotesDisabled

MaxMapVoteSize and the Exclusion after playing value along with bBotVotesDisabled would also be rather helpful. 

As for the map vote history, if there would be an option to remove all the records with that, that would be good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
On 6/27/2018 at 9:52 AM, Goku said:

Auto restarter? (Im happy to explain how i handle auto restarting if needed)

Sort of trying to refrain from giving it too much power over things outside of the game folder, but I may look into making it more well-rounded. 

=( I was an idiot and didn't grab my source files from my desktop before I went on vacation! Was planning on working on this over this 30 day lull 

• 1 year later...

@yosh56, I'm getting the error "Failed to execute script UDKHandler" when trying to run this.
I'm wondering if it's because I have the game loaded in a non-standard directory (E:\Renegade X), although I have this tool in there as well. I did allow it to merge the UDKGame folder as instructed

Capture.PNG

• 4 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
On 4/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, ChrisInVT said:

@yosh56, I'm getting the error "Failed to execute script UDKHandler" when trying to run this.
I'm wondering if it's because I have the game loaded in a non-standard directory (E:\Renegade X), although I have this tool in there as well. I did allow it to merge the UDKGame folder as instructed

Capture.PNG

Wow... Not sure how I never saw this post... 

Generally this was always Windows Smartscreen blocking the executable for me, though I do know it will sometimes do it after a server has been patched.

• 11 months later...

I was not sure if this was still being used or what? I tried running this, it told me: Failed to Execute script UDKHandler.

I am trying to set up a LAN for my machines at home. I see there are threads about the INI and Bat files editing. I am still trying to figure that all out.

Thanks