Suggestion and idea: Mutator/mode voting and hardcore mode

Moat

The developers are probably busy enough and have lots of ideas themselves but I still wanted to share this. I saw @yosh56 also starting a topic and this could maybe be added. So the ideas:

Hardcore mutator:

• Infantry much (much) more damage but never one shot one kill the the body
  • Infantry health regeneration
  • Vehicles limited ammo, this also solves the arty party on island and mrls on walls (the team that can do this first wins a lot of times) 
  • Vehicle ammo regeneration (maybe boost when beeing repaired)
  • etc..
The base for a hardcore mutator

Mutator/mode voting:
Some people love the extra vehicles and the base defenses from AGN and some not. So why not vote for it.
The voting will happen when a round ends, and the choices would look something like: 
  • Islands (classic)
  • Islands (agn mutator)
  • Islands (hardcore)
  • Islands (Control points)  

I am just sharing

• Totem Arts Staff

I like the philosophy of the End of around voting style, but I suspect it will be hard to implement. Especially as for some servers some mutators would be considered “necessary” and some optional.

As for your Hardcore mutator, I like the idea behind that, and it’s certainly much easier to do. 

Can you explain what you would like to see with the Infantry Health regen comment. 

Do you want it enabled? Disabled?

As for the vehicle ammo, I don’t know quite how to handle that and don’t know quite how to manage a repair based refill or an over time refill beyond long cool down reload times. One of the Devs would likely have a better idea on how to handle that, but it’s not an easy one.

That is also a reason why I posted it. I thought a hardcore mode is easy to implement but it does change the whole renegade arcade style. So you dont want it for every match.

The health regeneration is something like after not being hit for 10 seconds every second adds 20 health.

The voting is indeed (I think) a more difficult thing, but for the future. You never know.

• Totem Arts Staff

Eh, I don't really think it would be that difficult. You'd have to tap in to the maplist array that is generated at the end of a match to add the "Hardcore" "Vanilla" or w/e suffixes. The FPI mutator loads specific mutators based on config files. In theory, you could just edit the configs via code as the map is selected, save config and it should load the mutator "game mode" you wanted. I don't know if it's possible, but if it was, that's how I'd do it.

I ve created one "hardcore mutator" myself back in 2015. Never been rly finished tho, bcs it was too big of a challenge for me. And it does not work for current version anymore

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 2:18 PM, Axesor said:

I ve created one "hardcore mutator" myself back in 2015. Never been rly finished tho, bcs it was too big of a challenge for me. And it does not work for current version anymore

Axesor,

I'm thinking about to making a hardcore mutator for the current version of RenX (v5.354 at time of writing).

I looked at the changelog for your own hardcore mutator and I was quite impressed. Most of your ideas were really good - such as stopping the one-shot kills with snipers and increasing the shotgun range.

I'd like to re-implement a lot of your tweaks, however I'm kinda rusty with UnrealScript. Would you be willing to share the source files for your mutator? I'd like to just have a look and see how you did things if that's okay with you?

• Totem Arts Staff
4 minutes ago, Mr Elusive said:

Axesor,

I'm thinking about to making a hardcore mutator for the current version of RenX (v5.354 at time of writing).

I looked at the changelog for your own hardcore mutator and I was quite impressed. Most of your ideas were really good - such as stopping the one-shot kills with snipers and increasing the shotgun range.

I'd like to re-implement a lot of your tweaks, however I'm kinda rusty with UnrealScript. Would you be willing to share the source files for your mutator? I'd like to just have a look and see how you did things if that's okay with you?

If he's not around, you can also decompile the files, but it won't be perfect. You can message me here if you'd like some help. (Discord is preferred though)

• Thanks 1

Its been so long, I dont have the files anymore. You are welcome to decompile my mutator, and take whatever you find useful. 

Also, if you download RenX SDK, there is a folder with simple examples of mutators made by devs.

Changing weapon stats is pretty simple. You just gotta create your own weapon by duplicating old weapon, and renaming it. Now just change any values you want in your "new" weapon, and replace the old weapon with it. Replacing is simple code. You can find it in my mutator.

Edited by Axesor
  • Thanks 1

I'm really grateful Axesor, thank you. 👍

I'll open a thread on the Development/Works In Progress forum once I have a playable prototype ready. Can't say when that'll be as I work a full-time job (rent doesn't pay itself unfortunately), but hopefully sooner rather than later.