[3D] Generic 3d Models for scenes

HToneill

Hi folks!

I made some simple models including textures with a 3d scan workflow a while ago and thought I could share it with you. Well I still don't know, if you see it as a nice addition or would use them in your map designs.

I do prefer a lot of unique media, but I am aware, that RenX has tons of media already.

I would like to create some castle assets, or city assets if there is some interest in models.

Please feel free to drop some critics!

Let me show you some models first.

Some stone:

Preview_stone3.thumb.jpg.d6603a2f92596ade57d4f7a8e5ddd157.jpg

Another one:

Preview.thumb.jpg.7bfb6ff7eaaf0cf2a4452c733162cb8c.jpg

Railroad Debris:

Preview.thumb.jpg.c2dd8cb0c6180203ab85495a32b592da.jpg

I have also tried to create specular and normal maps, but the maps have to be optimized for Unreal, in order to call it game-ready. 

All textures are 2048x2048 png, in order to keep the full detail.

Map_Preview2.thumb.jpg.97348284e7010cc60514fde2f4aa48bb.jpg

Edited by HToneill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Totem Arts Staff

I don't think you realize the need of stuff like this. As a mapper myself, it is very hard to come across assets in the SDK that no one else has used. These would definitely be useful to help create more unique environments. Though I don't know how great they would look ingame, as the rocks ingame look very different compared to those ones. Great work, though!

Thanks for the replies!

I see you definitly need some 3d stuff. The good thing is, that we can modify the texture in order to achieve a common look. All of the work can be done in Photoshop or even with the free online photoshop sister: https://pixlr.com/editor/

Ice is a special form of object. It's transculent and is only some mesh with a powerful shader. I can't do shaders for Unreal right now, unless renx uses OpenGL.

But city, town and even farm models can be done! Please always try to post some kind of reference if you have a special idea, as all towns or places are unique.

My current location in southern germany would give me the ultimate opportunity to create some old town assets:

Renegade Town Level

To show you some already finished city stuff:

Preview.thumb.jpg.9a8ad214b9d20a1fbe483207d462b324.jpg

Island.thumb.jpg.68fecb50ee29fc426765e0af15850738.jpg

Edited by HToneill
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, roweboat said:

With the castle assets... someone could create a castle siege type map =D

I will see what I can do. B|

Tomorrow I will get some references to work with. First, I will get some simple castle asset in order to check quality/ usability.

I post the results. Once there is positive review, I can create mode assets for the castle set.

10 hours ago, TK0104 said:

The best way is to import them in UDK with collision and create the materials for it. Then share the package with us

Are custom collision shapes possible?

Town park & ride stone:

Preview.thumb.jpg.653645d6a8a8a1041dfa76b7f3532603.jpg

Edited by HToneill

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, HToneill said:

I will see what I can do. B|

Tomorrow I will get some references to work with. First, I will get some simple castle asset in order to check quality/ usability.

I post the results. Once there is positive review, I can create mode assets for the castle set.

Are custom collision shapes possible?

Town park & ride stone:

Preview.thumb.jpg.653645d6a8a8a1041dfa76b7f3532603.jpg

image.thumb.png.d1edd1c5bf2b437f06d7501418dcbdff.png

UDK has a tool for creating collisions based on the mesh. It likes to crash a lot though. I'd die for some assets to use in my Arabic map or Glacier.

• Like 1

Thank you Sarah! I will fight my way though the UDK when I finished some models. Right now I am in some sort of creative rage, that should be used  :)

Coming fresh from the factory:

the first castle asset will be this pile of rocks. Most of you expected a tower or a wall, we will come to it later. It's important to have a lot of debris models in first place to play around. The surroundings of every castle have some of them. The best way to use it, is to place it on a terrain slope. The next models will also be some castle stones, be prepared.

This gives a fine highlight, what do you think?

steinhaufen1.thumb.jpg.6c846fbe1917a96415c72ba7a0cbcb9f.jpg

Nah, its not covered in tiberium xD

Also there is no light or shader in my render pass. The objects are always flat textured.

And there is also piled sandstone:

sandstein1.thumb.jpg.148d9f6d0f9e06e75468d0347bbd805b.jpg

And a fireplace. No castle set is complete without a fireplace...

Feuerplatz.thumb.jpg.35e00bc8ca6d19070d495b5e32fe798d.jpg

Edited by HToneill
  • Like 2

Hi and welcome to the forums, @HToneill !

Great work!

I have been curious about photogrammetry/photoscanning for quite some time now, and wondering if it would be useful for RenX.^^

Excuse my asking, but how long did it take you from say spotting assets in real life to producing the final low-poly mesh with detail-normals and materials ?! :D 
Keep it up!

• Like 1

@TK0104

This was exactly what I was looking for! I would rather create my own intended collision models with as little polys as possible

@j0g32

Thank you j0g32!

As far as I can tell, photogrammetry is the key to unique assets. I would like to see some assets in RenX :-)

The creation speed depends on complexity. It will take much longer to create a set like the sidewalk pieces than a stone.

For a simple stone, I would say 2 hours, including scanning, rendering, making all additional maps and extra poly work in 3dsMax.

For a complex set, it will take much longer.

The greatest quest is to find a couldy day, with diffuse lighting conditions, in order to get best texture results.

Edited by HToneill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking great! Keep up the good work! We can always use custom models to add to environments. Don't hesitate to share them, no doubt they'll be used one day!

The thing is (also mentioned by others already) it has to be UDK ready. So preferably as low poly as can be. If you want to keep the detail, i'd advise to bake the normals and secure detail that way. 

Furthermore its important to have the models in a certain size so they snap to the UDK grid system. Modulair pieces are born there.

I'm looking forward to your stuff! Perhaps its a good idea to have some kind of database / showoff on a website or somewhere else where we can view your models (marmoset?) so mappers can pick ;)

• 5 weeks later...