Commander mode has room for improvement

The commander view is too FPS oriented. It should be made more RTS oriented. How about give a top-down view for the commanders like in Command and Conquer 3?Then the difference would be that, all the units a commander has are actual players, not computer controlled robots.

Edited by DimensionStriker

Unless it's a restricted Top down view,it would be OP,for example the Commander will only be able to view half the map from top down,but then again it would be OP ( ... Goddammit) to be able to just pick a location on the map from the top and launch a cruise missile or emp.

This gets me to the point of:

-There should be a Commander with a top down view,who can't actually play the game,just observe,set waypoints and objectives,and use the rest of the current commander abilities,with the exception of the cruise missile and the emp (or maybe add to that some other powers ?! ),and his top down view is restricted to half the map,the half in which his base is there.Maybe add full map view when the team captures the communication center.

-There should be another commander(who's more of a commando than a commander maybe),he gets chosen by the actual/main commander,his role is using the powers that the main commander can't use,and maybe other special stuff that could be implanted in the future.

Guest Gliven

If a top down view were to be implemented. It would have to be restricted in a way that all enemy units and structures are invisible unless scouted by Q-spotting by team mates. There would have to be some sort of fog of war. Unable to use powers in the fow.

On 3/11/2018 at 11:35 PM, Gliven said:

If a top down view were to be implemented. It would have to be restricted in a way that all enemy units and structures are invisible unless scouted by Q-spotting by team mates. There would have to be some sort of fog of war. Unable to use powers in the fow.

Commander only gets to see moving red or yellow dots and vehicle icons on the commander overview map as well?

Edited by Madkill40

Guest once upon the time

Commander mode for organized games like PUG or Squad War could be usefull.

In Pubg less usefull, because its starts with discussions who should be commander and ends up somewhere. 

Thats my personal thoughts.  :)

On 17-3-2018 at 1:26 PM, SilentKnight said:

In Pubg less usefull, because its starts with discussions who should be commander and ends up somewhere. 

I've seen many games decided by choices a commander made. Also it's a commander, not a dictator, so the person commanding should also listen to the team (ofc.).

Had a game once where someone was commanding and said he was going to buff. We said that he had to wait cause the enemy had 6 flamers around the corner. He chose to ignore this and used the buff. We all ended dead :P While on the other hand we could have used the buff a minute later. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2018 at 7:02 AM, Madkill40 said:

Commander only gets to see moving red or yellow dots and vehicle icons on the commander overview map as well?

No it has to be that, the commander can see the actual unit players, not just some dots or icons that represent them. Maybe selecting units should be done by selecting some icons in a menu on the side of the screen, but once selected, the commander should be able to jump his screen view directly above the actual unit player, maybe by a hotkey. To select a unit, left click on a unit player's icon, and then to issue attack order, right click on a spotted enemy or its icon in the top-down view. Give each spotted enemy player a big icon, to make issuing attack orders easy. Not just the unit players, the commander view should also be able to see  the flying cannon shells , the explosions, the flame and the ballistic missle crossing over sky with its beautiful shooting star tail. Furthermore, let the commander build bases like in Commander and Conquer 3 or Red Alert 3 or Command and Conquer Generals so that he can repair, reconstruct damaged buildings, and control electricity consumption of those buildings. Don't let unit players repair  buildings because it makes the game boring and time-consuming for the unit players.

On 3/17/2018 at 8:26 AM, SilentKnight said:

Make more vehicle models. Players earn golden tiberium after each game, and use them to unlock more vehicles or buy vehicle upgrades, like in War Thunder. At the beginning of each round, whoever wants to be the commander needs to pay some golden tiberium. If lots of players are willing to pay then the one with highest vote get to be the commander, on the other hand if no player wants to be the commander then the game randomly selects one. Other moments that can select a commander may be when the current commander quits or the current commander surrenders. In the former case, the game can automatically select a commander from the rest of the players, and in the latter case, the current commander steps down becoming a unit player, with the crown switched to the first unit player who has voted NO to the commander's surrender suggestion. Problem solved.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:35 PM, Gliven said:

Yes, same as Red Alert and CnC 3

On 3/18/2018 at 3:55 PM, Ryz said:

I've seen many games decided by choices a commander made. Also it's a commander, not a dictator, so the person commanding should also listen to the team (ofc.).

Had a game once where someone was commanding and said he was going to buff. We said that he had to wait cause the enemy had 6 flamers around the corner. He chose to ignore this and used the buff. We all ended dead :P While on the other hand we could have used the buff a minute later. 

Each commander should have public visible "command and conquer victory rate". The more times they do something stupid, the less likely will they be elected in the next time.

Guest once upon the time
1 hour ago, DimensionStriker said:

Make more vehicle models. Players earn golden tiberium after each game, and use them to unlock more vehicles or buy vehicle upgrades, like in War Thunder.

War Thunder is not Renegade.

53 minutes ago, DimensionStriker said:

The more times they do something stupid, the less likely will they be elected in the next time.

Ironie on  : Very friendly for ppl who start playing Renegade, you will have high motivated ppl.

Like I mentioned, I am only one and dont like the Commander mod. 

Some ppl like it so np for me that ppl share ideas ( I am out of this Thread :) )

Build stronger story lines to attract more players. Make up time scale, theater stage, organizational reasoning of the factions, and the narratives. For example, if GDI fights NOD in a battle, or GDI and NOD are in collaboration to fight the SCRIN in a battle, players should know about the background information and understand what they are fighting for. Advertise these information and let more players know that Command and Conquer games are not over. Thereafter, improve the graphics, perhaps use a better graphics engine,  make a stronger demo video, and prepare next stage crowd funding campaign. 

23 hours ago, SilentKnight said:

Ironie on  : Very friendly for ppl who start playing Renegade, you will have high motivated ppl.

Like I mentioned, I am only one and dont like the Commander mod. 

Some ppl like it so np for me that ppl share ideas ( I am out of this Thread :) )

Speaking from another perspective, you want a new player to play commander without understanding the capabilities of his units? There has to be some progression, right? War thunder never let me fly the jets when I was a new player but that surely didn't alter the fact that it's a great game. Also, the current build of the game gives each individual player too much power and makes everyone an "easy hero". Pretty much everyone can buy a nuke, sneak into the enemy's base blow it up. This limited the game experience in the sense of both team work and the destructive power of super weapons. A nuke can only blow up one building? You gotta be joking me, right? Three infantries with nuke beacons sneak into enemy base , then the battle is over. Boring? The decision to use super weapons should be an exclusive ability of the commander, and the destructive power of a nuke should reflect more about what a nuke is designed for.

1 hour ago, DimensionStriker said:

You gotta be joking me, right? Three infantries with nuke beacons sneak into enemy base , then the battle is over. Boring? The decision to use super weapons should be an exclusive ability of the commander

Individual players having the liberty to purchase and use nukes/ion cannons doesn't make it boring. Nukes are expensive, people don't buy them just because they can, people buy it when their instinct tells them it's a good time to buy, f.e. they see their team tanks in the enemy base or the last enemy building has every player in the team repairing making hard to destroy... or just buy it to plant a fake beacon to create confusion. Or a coordinated multi-"SBH nuke" if Nod players miraculously decided to work together. That's what makes it fun.

The commander already have exclusive abilities like EMP strike and cruise missiles so he holds the decision to use support powers.

3 hours ago, vandal33 said:

Nukes are expensive, people don't buy them just because they can, people buy it when their instinct tells them it's a good time to buy, f.e. they see their team tanks in the enemy base or the last enemy building has every player in the team repairing making hard to destroy... or just buy it to plant a fake beacon to create confusion. Or a coordinated multi-"SBH nuke" if Nod players miraculously decided to work together. That's what makes it fun.

The commander already have exclusive abilities like EMP strike and cruise missiles so he holds the decision to use support powers.

Lol, I wish this was true. I've seen so many times that:
- team announces rush (for example bar) - vehicles leave. Person (already in enemy base for a while) doesn't deploy beacon till rush is over...
- team announces (or a person) he is about to kill a building by sneaking in, disarms mines, other player places beacon NEXT to the building. Infiltration over...

And so on.... I see a lot of ppl buy SBHs and / or nukes because they can without having another purpose then use the two cause they can use them... And in most cases they aren't very effective...

Having that said: I would like to restrict super weapons or certain units (specially if you have +7 sbhs in 14 player team :P ) but it won't be good for the game experience for the individual players, although it would enhance the 'teamplay' feeling. 

What would help is that a commander can use CP to make 'advised by commander' units, vehicles, or weapons more cheap for a certain period. People might be persuaded to buy them more easy then... On the other hand people will still do what they want I am afraid, played a game of Under as GDI last week where we had more snipers then vehicles for at least 40 minutes in the game....:) 

Guest once upon the time

Normal I was telling I am out of this Thread,

but I ask you only one favour @DimensionStriker take my comments in the right context and not like you interpret it.

Your idea  will accelerate a 2-class society in this small community.

War Thunder is not Rengade X and has much more than 25000 player and Renegade X less then 110. 

On the other hand every year is in War Thunder are waves of bans, why  (Using other additional software whats forbidden) ?

Now I am really out. 

It's the correct idea. Even if this game doesn't try it, someone will, or should I say someone is already trying it implicitly?

Have a look https://www.armormmo.com/ a new project that had very short development history and only recently launched their website, but the money inflow is crazy and even enabled them to use Lamborghini cars as rewards for some game tournament championship events. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2018 at 11:34 AM, Interval said:

This mode of command is not needed. This is not a strategy, it's a shooter. You do not need to create a strategy from the shooter. Because of your favorite universe, the game can not move forward. You want a top view - play strategy. And we have a completely different game, about shooting.

Just look at the current player population. How many players do you get? Time to make a change. Change it from a community project into a professional project!

• Confused 2

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, DimensionStriker said:

Just look at the current player population. How many players do you get? Time to make a change. Change it from a community project into a professional project!

You're comparing apples to oranges.

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2018 at 1:57 AM, DimensionStriker said:

Then the difference would be that, all the units a commander has are actual players, not computer controlled robots.

yeah right as if players in renegade x are actually gonna be listening to the commander in shooter games compared to computer controlled units in strategy games

• Totem Arts Staff
1 minute ago, vandal33 said:

yeah right as if players in renegade x are actually gonna be listening to the commander in shooter games compared to computer controlled units in strategy games

You'd be surprised. I got some good teamwork yesterday on under. Very good rushes. nice flame tanks and doza rushes. Held them with LCGs and tanks for a while

Sometimes people are willing to follow /  be leaded, sometimes not.

Yesterday I was on Nod on Under and we locked the enemy into their base with 10 ~15 ppl helping. All went smooth, till we had over 15(!) sbhs and 3 ~5 snipers. No surprise we lost the field... 

Two doza rushes, where quite some ppl joined, killed the PP. After that we 'lost' the teamwork again and ppl went solo till that didn't achieve anything. It was when someone said 'arties can't kill the WF from that range' that 4 other people drove their arty towards the same spot (as requested). One buff and 30 secs later the whole GDI base was 'burned' down. So yeah, teamwork can happen.

Round after: we (GDI) also lost Walls cause vehicles didn't last longer then a minute. People creating a mass grave with failed rushes, while this could have turned out the other way if some more ppl worked together... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

Combine Spectator mode with Commander mod, Commander cannot see any players on the opposing team (they are 'invisible') until a player on that Commanders team Q-spots the enemy they see in sight. Commander can spawn in their base at any point in the game.

To be honest I like it the way it is.

What I would like to see changed is the 'back' key for commander mode. Yesterday my vehicle got destroyed during an 8 ppl med rush, but I wasnt able to get in the other vehicles cause I had to get out of the 'buff' screen I had selected. When I was back in the  vehicle I had to go 'all the way' back to the buff menu.

Maybe I can set a secondary key for getting in and out the vehicle myself, while still having 'E' as default enabled. That, among the difficulty of repairing while being commander, are my only problems. 

Nothing commander mode related, but 'emp deployment related' is that beacons and stuff get placed straight in front of you if someone drves through your view when deploying. The person in front of you takes focus and the emp (or whatever is called) ends up in the wrong place. 

• Totem Arts Staff

Yes I agree with @Ryz . I think a different key should be used to navigate through the commander menu. 

There have been times where I'm scrambling to get a certain commander option set, then I hit the key too many times and next thing you know I'm standing outside my vehicle.

Also, a MAP view (top-down) approach for deploying EMP, smoke, cruise missile etc. would be amazing. many times I've tried to get an EMP right on an enemy and then all of a sudden I'm moving and a rock is in my field of view and the EMP is like 50 m off.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:54 AM, DimensionStriker said:

EA has forbidden the use of command & conquer for commercial purposes. Your childhood dreams will not affect anything, but for the game it will only get worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Commander mode needs 2 sub-commanders (Lt.'s) added, which can be elected by the commander so there can be more organization throughout the entire team e.g. one leads defence the other leads assault/infiltration depending on what the commander prefers.

Only the commander can use powers however the commander can apply a buff to either Lt if the commander is not nearby, if possible an Lt can drop a marker (maximum of 1) for a missile, spy-plane, emp bomb etc. Only the commander and subs can see the markers the Sub's plant.

Purple and Orange for Subs' markers/Q-spots 

Would be lovely

• Thanks 1