Feedback and Ideas for Ren X Squad War

Canucck

This is cool and I have a few suggestions for how the tournament should work. People seem to be taking this seriously so it should be flushed out asap.

Bracket

This tournament should be a round-robin imo. If there are a lot of teams, you can try to do something like a Swiss-system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament), but I think there will be few enough that you can just do a typical round-robin bracket with playoffs afterwards, seeding based off the RR placements.

Pick/Ban Phase

This is what I really want to see here. There's 11 maps total, some teams are going to prefer certain maps and hate other maps. Some teams are going to prefer/hate certain sides on certain maps. I don't think the method you use for pugs works very well here. Maps and sides should all be decided before the match begins. There should be a time before the match begins where each team decides on all of this, something like: 

Team1 Ban Map
Team2 Ban Map
Team1 Ban Map
Team2 Ban Map
Team1 Ban Map
Team2 Ban Map

Team2 Pick Map1
Team1 Pick Map2
Team2 Pick Map3

Team1 Pick Side for Map1
Team2 Pick Side for Map2
Team1 Pick Side for Map3

For deciding who gets first pick or ban, it can be based on a coinflip (find a website or something to do this) or you can have someone neutral do seeding after all of the team are decided, higher seed gets to pick whether they want first pick or ban.

Similar to how CS/Dota works

It says 3 points for a win in the OP. If we're playing 3 maps every match, and it's a round-robin, it should be 1 point per map. If a team loses the match but wins 1 map, they'd get 1 point. Include tie-breaker rules, this is pretty easy for ren, since when the time ends it'd be pretty ridiculous for points to be tied. I've only seen it happen a handful of times in OG ren, but if it does you can base the win condition on player or building kills. Also prevents teams from giving up if they lose the first 2 maps.

That's all I think. As a bonus maybe the devs could do something to add some kind of symbol next to the names of the winners ingame, or the forums, or both. Winners get an autographed picture of Yosh too

Edited by Canucck
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Canucck I like that idea, this also means the Squad Wars server can have a properly set map rotation and squads can plan ahead but should Squads be limited to 2 maps each? 1 GDI and 1 Nod? Or perhaps each climb up the ladder alternates? If I may throw in an inspired suggestion

• Tier 1 - Preliminary Matches - 4 or 5 Matches in-total
    • 1 Map as GDI (Squad A & B)
    • 1 Map as Nod (Squad A & B)
    • 1 Map agreed to by both Squads [Tiebreaker Only]
  • Tier 2 - Factions At War #1 - 4 or 5 Matches in-total
    • 2 Maps as Nod (Squad A)
    • 2 Maps as GDI (Squad B)
  • Tier 3 - Factions At War #2 - 4 or 5 Matches in-total
    • 2 Maps as GDI (Squad A)
    • 2 Maps as Nod (Squad B)
  • Tier 4 - Until Death - Marathon - 1 Match
    • Faction preferred map, Squad preference must be in opposition 
      • e.g. If Squad A & B both prefer to play as GDI on Islands, then Islands is ruled out as a possibility and so on down the line

^^^ [Squad Singles Victory, Tournament concludes with Victors in Tier 4 being the winners of the Tournament] - Essentially the Tournament ends here ^^^

Squads defeated in either Tier 1 or Tier 2 can go on to having their own Tier 3 and Tier 4 battles against other defeated Squads

• Tier 5 - Vindictive Revenge - Marathon - 1 Match - [Squad Duos begins] - If people like this idea and want Squad Wars to continue a little bit more...
    • 2 Squads per team, but both Squad will work independently (voice chat) within a faction
    • Squad combinations are as follows:
      • Tier 3 victors team up with their opposing Tier 4 rivals' defeated Squads e.g.
        • T3 Squad A beats Squad D 
        • T3 Squad B beats Squad C
          • T4 Squad A & C in one faction
          • T4 Squad B & D in one faction
        • Squad A & B pick the faction
        • Squad C & D pick the map
      • Communication between Squads A & C are through in-game chat during gameplay (likewise for B & D)
      • Each Squad has their own voice channel
    • Sidenote: The Squad which wins Tier 4 is essentially fighting against two squads they have beaten already

Here is a mockup Tourny chart/graph/grid anywho... 

SquadWarChart.thumb.png.e295d3892251df75c3d35266f76f31d9.png 

• Like 1

If I'm reading that right it sounds like double elimination. I think there should be a single or double elimination playoff round, but I went with round-robin for the preliminary round because we shouldn't really be constrained for time, and I figured most people would want to play at least one match against every other team.

It really depends on how many teams sign up. I guess I could have flushed out my other post more, but ideally I see it as something like what I explained above for the preliminary round, moving into a playoff round that is single or double elimination after that. So if we get 8 teams, we could have the top 4 teams from the round-robin move on to the playoff round. Tie-breaker games are unnecessary in a point-per-game round-robin system unless there is a tie for 4th place (or whatever the cut-off is), and even then you can avoid extra games by breaking ties with ingame stats. A round-robin preliminary round can also avoid problem from having an odd number of teams, so if we had 7 or 9 teams, the top4 could still advance to the playoffs without anything getting weird (bye's, extra matches, etc). If there are a lot of teams, like 12+, you can break it down into two round-robin groups where the top 2 or 3 teams from each advance to the playoffs.

I don't think the finals should be a marathon. It's a cool idea, but kinda defeats the purpose of the tournament. Playing a whole tournament of AoW games only to have a marathon finals is kinda weird, the finals wouldn't be very representative of how those teams got there. However it might be cool to take a break between the preliminary round and the playoffs, and have a 20v20 MVP game or something in place of a PUG.

• Thanks 1

Guest once upon the time

We are open this Topic to avoid that the main Topic is getting to full,  because the main Topic should be for the Registration and Lists.

Feel free to post your Ideas and Feedback here, we will read it for sure.

Some post will be moved from Ren X Squad War into this one.

Thank you for your understanding.

Silent Knight

Edited by once upon the time
Correction

On 2/11/2018 at 12:32 AM, Canucck said:

Pick/Ban Phase

This is what I really want to see here. There's 11 maps total, some teams are going to prefer certain maps and hate other maps. Some teams are going to prefer/hate certain sides on certain maps. I don't think the method you use for pugs works very well here. Maps and sides should all be decided before the match begins. There should be a time before the match begins where each team decides on all of this, something like: 

Team1 Ban Map
Team2 Ban Map
Team1 Ban Map
Team2 Ban Map
Team1 Ban Map
Team2 Ban Map

Team2 Pick Map1
Team1 Pick Map2
Team2 Pick Map3

Team1 Pick Side for Map1
Team2 Pick Side for Map2
Team1 Pick Side for Map3

For deciding who gets first pick or ban, it can be based on a coinflip (find a website or something to do this) or you can have someone neutral do seeding after all of the team are decided, higher seed gets to pick whether they want first pick or ban.

Interesting

This is cool and I have a few suggestions for how the tournament should work. People seem to be taking this seriously so it should be flushed out asap.

Bracket

This tournament should be a round-robin imo. If there are a lot of teams, you can try to do something like a Swiss-system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament), but I think there will be few enough that you can just do a typical round-robin bracket with playoffs afterwards, seeding based off the RR placements.

Something like that.

It says 3 points for a win in the OP. If we're playing 3 maps every match, and it's a round-robin, it should be 1 point per map. If a team loses the match but wins 1 map, they'd get 1 point. Include tie-breaker rules, this is pretty easy for ren, since when the time ends it'd be pretty ridiculous for points to be tied. I've only seen it happen a handful of times in OG ren, but if it does you can base the win condition on player or building kills. Also prevents teams from giving up if they lose the first 2 maps.

It all depends on the number of squads.If 3 or 4 or even 5,it might be a 1 group tournament,winners(with 2 maps to 1 or 3 maps to 0)gets 3 points,third map will have to be played even if squad B loses to squad A in the the first 2 maps.

• In case of 2 teams ending up with the same number of points,the team with more maps won is the winner.

Ex:

-Squad A  6 points / 7 map wins

-Squad B  6 points / 6 map wins

-squad C  6 points / 5 map wins

-Squad D  0 points / 2 map wins

• In case of 2 or more teams ending up with the same points and the same number of map wins,

-The average score per map could decide the winner

Score in map 1 + score in map 2 + ......+ score in the last map / number of maps played

-or the average score per map time

Score in map 1 / the time it took map 1 to end +

Score in map 2 / the time in took map 2 to end +

Score in map 3 / the time in took map 3 to end +

.... + 

Score in the last map / the time it took last map to end

-or a tie breaker match

• Normal match with 3 maps (same rules as other matches)
  • To fasten things up,the 2 tied squads play 1 map twice,one time as nod and one time as gdi,in case of 1 win for each team,score of both maps decide the winner.

Ex:On Islands, Squad A plays as gdi with squad B as nod,after map ends,the 2 squads play it again with squad A as nod and squad B as gdi.

If 6 or more squads participate,then it will be in 2 groups system,first 2 squads of each group play in the semi finals(tree),

Group 1 winning squad(1st placed squad in group 1) VS Group 2 runner up squad(2nd placed squad in group 2)

Group 2 winning squad(1st placed squad in group 2) VS Group 1 runner up squad(2nd placed squad in group 1)

That's all I think. As a bonus maybe the devs could do something to add some kind of symbol next to the names of the winners ingame, or the forums, or both. Winners get an autographed picture of Yosh too

cool, suggested that in another thread

[Squad Duos begins] - If people like this idea and want Squad Wars to continue a little bit more...

• 2 Squads per team, but both Squad will work independently (voice chat) within a faction
  • Squad combinations are as follows:
    • Tier 3 victors team up with their opposing Tier 4 rivals' defeated Squads e.g.
      • T3 Squad A beats Squad D 
      • T3 Squad B beats Squad C
        • T4 Squad A & C in one faction
        • T4 Squad B & D in one faction
      • Squad A & B pick the faction
      • Squad C & D pick the map
    • Communication between Squads A & C are through in-game chat during gameplay (likewise for B & D)
    • Each Squad has their own voice channel

I'm happy with anything, although just for funzies two squads per faction with each squad working independently (via voice channel) is definitely an idea which should be entertained at some point :D

@Madkill40 this is a first and I have to say, this looks like an awesome idea,we should definitely work on organizing it once the main tournament is over.

Edited by ObeliskTheTormentor

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Redarmy said:

By no vehicle wall hopping, do you mean no stanks climbing walls? Or do you mean no people jump on top of tanks, and then jump from the tank over a wall? Cause I'd argue riding tanks and allowing that should be fine.

vehicle surfing is okay.

but using vehicle physics to jump over walls or get to spots that are not intended by map design is forbidden.

e.g. Walls side ramps, Whiteout rocks (stank to PP) or MRLS on Walls, vehicles on rooftops etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest once upon the time

Short feedback to @RypeL  Thank you very much for the Spectator Mode. 

I was watching the stream of Interval in this Modus ( with time delay) and it was great. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest once upon the time

Thats only a trial,

to get more information about the actual standing. At the moment its ten day Premium for free, I dont know if it will be the same after ending of  the Premium :( 

The Rounds look different, but you can see the results in the correct row with place (Platz)of the Teams. It looks different, but you have a overview about actual Rank and Results.

Spieltag= Day       Spielpaarung= Who against who      Ergebnisse=Results     Punkte= Points     Platz=Rank

image.thumb.png.0a4d32fce9e9733a17a7d3b5a123d18e.png

Teams                                                       Played    Lost        Tie        Win           Points               Diff       Sets      Points  Tendence

image.png.8f9fe4221df422b6fcbfd3992d2f7344.png

Edited by once upon the time