Lag and possibly incorrect ping time reporting

djlaptop

Hi all,

Before I get into this, it's not a bug. I know the problems are local on my end.

I recently got a new internet connection (new internet company bought my old internet company and discontinued my old connection, now i'm forced to use their new connection, which is terrible and it's the only option where I live, I can't even get LTE here). Since I got the new connection I've been getting stupid lag in RenX.

When I call it "stupid lag," it's because the RenX client and loader both report acceptable ping times for my location. I'm in the Los Angeles area, so a ping around 200 to the EU servers is to be expected.

Take a look at my gameplay video from today below. You'll see that my ping is reported as 189 on the TAB screen, but many things happen with a lot more latency than that. In the very beginning, I shoot an Arty, and it takes nearly two seconds for the damage to show up. Later, I throw a c4 on the HON MCT, and the lag makes it miss wildly. A few seconds later, I deal the HON its death-blow, but again, it takes a full second to "register" the destruction. 

This leads to incredible frustration with things like being killed before the enemy is visible, or before you hear them fire at you. Warping into weird directions that you never intended to go (tiberium!). Saying something in teamchat or allchat and it never shows up. Doors to buildings not opening for you.

My "ping" is 189 but within my video editor, I counted the frames between action and reaction and it seems to be closer to 1700. Curious as to how this could be.

Anyway, this is what my gameplay is like these days and it's ruining the experience. Does anyone know of any config options that can help alleviate this? I realize it's a fundamental limitation of worldwide communications but just hoping there's some high-latency config options that are disabled by default that I can turn on.

Hi, Thanks for the reports.

A few things of note here:

1. Your ping jitter is just insane, mine on average for each one is around 2-5ms
  2. Your Upload speed is no where near fast enough to keep up with the download speed you have - are these speeds as advertised with your connection package?
  3. If you were to open cmd, type: `ping www.agngaming.com -t` (without quotes) into the box and leave it running for ~60 seconds, then hit CTRL+C could you post a picture of the results that are printed?

38 minutes ago, Cronus said:

You have some bad cable lines, call your ISP, ask them to check your signals, im betting your upstream signals are all sorts of crazy.

I don't have lines anymore, they discontinued physical service to my neighborhood when the company switched over. I have a microwave dish to my ISP, so it's subject to interference from weather, atmospheric conditions or birds flying by. Seems to be fine for the web but RenX has suffered. I don't play any other games so I don't have anything else to compare to.

Wait, you didnt say this i dont think?

Okay what you're seeing it perfectly normal from that type of connection.
Until you go wired again, you wont get a stable enough ping time without jitter due to CRC checking on the router plus as you say interference.

This also explains your extremely slow upload speeds compared to your download as i pointed out earlier.

:(

21 minutes ago, AlienXAXS said:

Wait, you didnt say this i dont think?

Okay what you're seeing it perfectly normal from that type of connection.
Until you go wired again, you wont get a stable enough ping time without jitter due to CRC checking on the router plus as you say interference.

This also explains your extremely slow upload speeds compared to your download as i pointed out earlier.

:(

Oh I certainly don't think my connection is BROKEN, I just think it's BAD. I was even considering going LTE, except I can't get a signal. My house is at the bottom of the photo, I'm at the bottom of a canyon between two tall hills so that prevents any wireless connection without line-of-sight. 

It sucks that we have regional monopolies in the US which prevent any other company from coming in and offering wired internet in my area. What I have is my only option other than satellite.

My question was mainly whether or not there were any UDK settings that could help in high-latency situations. For example, doors opening to buildings - Does that truly need a full round trip to the server and back or can it be handled client side? Maybe there's a setting that can smooth out my movements locally so they're not so jittery and I don't end up in the tiberium when I had been walking in the tunnel.

Just wondering what's possible at all. But thank you very much for the help. :)

IMG_8314.jpg

7 hours ago, djlaptop said:

Just wondering what's possible at all.

Get out of America while you still can.

You simply need to find a more stable connection.

Satellite is going to be just as bad.

I would also say that using cell towers isnt a great option either, as depending on your environment, its performance can vary considerably thought the day. That being said, it will be more stable than satellite.

You can buy LTE boosters and try that for getting hold of a signal.

I don't know if you have something like an ombudsmen you can complain to, but if after speaking with you isp, and not getting anywhere, I would start complaining to every third party you can think of, via email, and cc the isp in on the emails.

• Thanks 2

No bud, your connection isn't broken at all, it's just how that type of connection is. 

Sure microwave technology can bring super great speeds, but you have to remember that the data isn't sent as a continuous stream like on a cabled connection, your data is packed into a large packet and shoved down to the other end, which is bad for latency. 

Satellite will be worse of course, round trip time would be around 4-5 seconds for that type of connection. 

As per doors opening and other things like that, i believe that the code does both server sided doors and client sided doors depending on who triggerd the door in the first instance.

For example if you triggered the door volume your  client would replicate a 'door open' to the server, and that would replicate that everywhere else. (again, I think this is how it works)

There are no UDK connection settings you can change that have not already been upped to their maximum possible values, or to their best possible values. 

I think you're a little stuck with that new connection. 

I assume you don't have a phone line to your property to get ADSL? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, djlaptop said:

We used to have a POTS line in the neighborhood that was "accidentally" cut when they were laying a new water line. By law they were supposed to fix it. That was four years ago.

Oh man that's a freaking joke, i am surprised they get away with that, what if there is an emergency and the internet is offline during that time, you and your neighbours wont be able to get help.

Weirdly enough, Glivens suggestion isn't all that silly - a load of people have been doing that here in the UK and connecting rural areas with 1000 down, 200 up internet via FTTP/FTTH - it's nuts - cost depending though - like how far is the next property that can get a decent wired internet connection?