how finished is this game?

kbls

Hello, first time player to the X been playing renegade since inception.

First issue hitting things. is it just me or do i empty entire clips into people and hit nothing? I wouldn't know because i only last 2 seconds because every bot never misses.

Second issue the controls. i played 5 different types of guys and got into every vehicle that the game would let me and only one actually worked(stealth tank) the rest let me get in and out and that's it... are there controls built for the player to use or just the Ai?

3rd issue balance... should it take 25 rockets to do 30% damage to a mammoth tank? 

here are some helpful hits i feel were lost in the creation of this game...SIMPLE keep things simple. its 2018 people fps shooters have been around for over 20 years now and the worst idea you can have is to try to reinvent the wheel. I get that you may have special vehicles and/or weapons/classes that require special ways to use them, however a smart person would add a tutorial or directions on the controls. Other than that...wasd, left click shoots, right click aims, secondary can be middle mouse button. Not that hard. i don't know why im shooting a rocket with left click and then shooting a rocket with right click. Lastly when i get into a vehicle the controls should be 90% the same as the controls when walking(wasd) for moving...this isnt need for speed i dont need a throttle. 

worst part is that these may be the controls I wouldn't know because they dont work in the game...

other than that and probably 50 more issues i wont talk about because i have not played enough...the game seems like a nice mod for unreal 3. it really feels like renegade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kbls said:

i don't know why im shooting a rocket with left click and then shooting a rocket with right click.

Left-Click (primary): Shoots guided rockets (will follow targets that are "locked")

Right-Click (secondary): Shoots unguided missiles (ignores the locking system)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started playing as well, and although i am not having the control issues, I agree with what you are saying.

I was going to make a separate post, but I might as well tag onto yours.

The game just feels like CoD and Renegade had a crackpipe baby.

The content is awesome, but the game feels really unbalanced or glitchy it's hard to say which.

People are spamming nukes and ion cannons all day long.

The best gun seems to be the basic infantry machine gun you start with as everything else feels like I'm shooting blanks.

Not sure if it's the colliders on the projectiles, explosions, or characters, but most weapons feel very inaccurate.

Honestly i think the problem is that everyone is moving at half the speed of light like a son of flash Gordon.

It feels like everything is 2x as fast as it should be and it's hyper annoying like a 5 year old that just ate a tub of ice-cream and is now running around screaming.

I also died many times to tank shots that should have been impossible. Through buildings, walls or multiple walls. 

I'm safe in my base way far back and some artillery makes a shot through a mountain or huge ass bunker and kills me like he has a wall hack.

Which it totally could be accurate and that would be understandable. Every game has it's share of asshat hackers.

I'll keep playing the game, and I'm even considering donating because what you guys are doing here is awesome. I believe it could be something worth dumping stupid amounts of time into one day.

The bots in this game are pretty awful. They alternate between being useless (strategy wise) and annoyingly accurate in their firing when they decide to finally take issue with you. 

Some weapons, when you fire them, do indeed have an element of randomness. In original Renegade, I'm pretty sure my shot accuracy rate was a lot higher than it is in RenX. Each weapon handles a bit different and takes some getting used to.

Likewise with the controls, especially for vehicles. The vehicles handle differently (a lot more unpredictably imho) than old renegade.

When I make these statements, they're not criticism, they're just observations. I and many other players have gotten the hang of the mechanics of the game and there are many skilled players that have put in the time to become good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the intent of this game was never to just pick up after playing OldRen and have everything feel identical. It's a different game with a different engine and different mechanics. Like everything else, with practice comes skill.

That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvements in some areas, but it is what it is.

OP, I would encourage you to keep practicing and keep an open mind. We have all been where you are and those of us that have stuck with it truly enjoy the experience and the community that surrounds this game. But to the devs, even if you disagree with his points, OP's post is a prime example of how some elements of the game are prone to scare away newcomers and there are definitely lessons to be learned there if we want to get more people playing. Just food for thought. 

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

@kbls I think your statements are a great example as to why the the tutorial level should be made a priority. I've been seeing more new people on the servers lately and they unfortunately just have no concept how to play and in the match it's hard to take the time to teach people what an MCT is, that one can over take both vechicles, that most weapons have alternate fire etc.

Hell even if it was something text based that came up as a prompt when you loaded the game "is this your first time playing?", Then it goes over the basics.

To be fair I think even the original renegade did a poor job of explaining itself. 

I'd be happy to write up a draft if any devs think a text based tutorial with photos could be a good quick fix vs a tutorial level.

• Like 1

On 22.1.2018 at 2:23 AM, roweboat said:

I'd be happy to write up a draft if any devs think a text based tutorial with photos could be a good quick fix vs a tutorial level.

I do think so and id support its integragion. That would be very good to have. A tutorial level is not on the horizon afaik so imho we should not wait for that to eventually happen. And even if a tutorial would happen eventually a picture story would still be very good to have. Ideally accessible from the main and from the pause menu I think.

• Totem Arts Staff

This is as far as we got in a few days with ideas for videos...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/144px5FBM1hjMWpc48c6dVoWiWhP1qAZ0FCaO3jWsC4E/edit?usp=sharing

1. The basics of C&C mode

1. GDI & Nod

1. A little lore

2. Faction specific weaknesses and strengths

2. Buildings & respective functions

1. Including harvester

3. How to win

1. Marathon

2. AOW

4. Crates

1. What are they for

2. What do they contain?

2. Vehicles

1. For each vehicle

1. Main purpose

2. Cost

3. Strengths and weaknesses

4. Driving styles (arty reverse driving for example)

1. Team Play

1. Where to position yourself, and why

1. E.g. Good places to position yourself depending on how the battle is going

2. Keyboard Shortcuts

1. Explain the multiple usages of the Spotting Key (Q)

2. Explain that you can change class at your death screen for your next respawn

3. Explain that PT’s can be used with your keyboard alone for faster purchases

3. Acronyms + Short Terms - What do they mean?

1. Buildings

1. HON, Bar, Ref, etc

2. Units

1. LCG, SBH, Stank, Arty etc

3. Other

1. PT

Edited by Sarah!
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your feedback @kbls and @Bigtimbers - your opinion as new players is very important to us!

In terms of quick fix, I think we should just bring back the old loading screen that explained the essentials of C&C gamemode and also costs less memory than videos. Perhaps add a unique background for every map, battlefield style.

Besides, I was working on a tutorial level for multiplayer, but the plans for it may have changed a bit - and when I find the time I would like to pick up the work again ;)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, j0g32 said:

In terms of quick fix, I think we should just bring back the old loading screen that explained the essentials of C&C gamemode and also costs less memory than videos.

Please, don't do it.  I like animated loading screens very much! I think short tips on it is quite enough information.

Maybe after the player connected to the server there could be a screen with all important information about the map. Also  there can be a hotkey to show this screen again.

p.s. If there oneday will be a "waiting screen" for players who wants to connect to the full server,  it can be combined with this info screen.