Maps that arent shaped as an U

Eagle XI

It seems most maps are shaped similarly. One 'main corridor' in the shape of an U, two bases that are an stonethrow away placed next to each other yet are seperated with impassable terrain, an side route for infantry, most maps dont even have an alternate route of attack outside of infantry flanking.

Why we dont try something else in map design for an change ?

Guest Gliven

U's are actually a pretty good shape for Ren-X maps. You can elongate the field for vehicles while at the same time making the map relatively small. Having a short infantry path is usually ideal. If infantry paths are too long, they tend to be ignored, a good example of this is the outer path on Training Yard.

Sure it would be nice to have some variety by creating non mirrored/U shaped maps, however:

Mirrored or U Shaped maps really help towards balancing, each team has a similar entrance/exit point for their base either for vehicles or infantry - because of this I would assume that making a non mirrored/U shape map could cause gameplay mechanic issues in terms of fairness.

Canyon is basically a U, so is Xmountain. Reservoir, Goldrush, Lakeside and Crash Site are also U's (Lakeside being slightly different because of flying vehicles). Volcano, Mesa and Training Yard are O's. The U shape is the most common but there's plenty of variation.

54 minutes ago, yosh56 said:

Everyone forgets Eyes, Arctic and Glasses 

No wonder... They've been pretty much out of rotation since last summer...

On 2018. 01. 03. at 3:04 PM, Eagle XI said:

See Paradise. It's more like an  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Already plenty of alternate maps under Downloads > Levels

Paradise is a nice one that is completely different from the other levels, there is also Forest and Outposts that are not U-maps

You would need to get the main servers to add more of them, but they probably won't because most players will have to use the IGDL to get them.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Servers should go back to forced map rotation, so we actually get to experience more than 3-5 maps in a session. 

I know people have put alot of work into the maps and its a shame when the majority of people don't experience it because a few regulars only like 2 maps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Gliven

If you want to see new maps added to the game, go and play test the ever living shit out of them. Organize play test sessions with multiple people, play an actual game on them. Record what you find, show the map developers what needs to be fixed, and then show the lead devs that this map is good to go. The devs and server owners arent going to add incomplete, or non play tested maps to the main servers.

If you want to organise play sessions on new maps, ask @Fffreak9999 or @Madkill40 or @campinjeff on discord, to set up the testing server for you and your friends.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 3.1.2018 at 3:04 PM, Eagle XI said:

It seems most maps are shaped similarly. One 'main corridor' in the shape of an U, two bases that are an stonethrow away placed next to each other yet are seperated with impassable terrain, an side route for infantry, most maps dont even have an alternate route of attack outside of infantry flanking.

I think this U form is a good for improving the balance of a mao.

If you have no map advantages it depends on the skill and coordination who wins and who doesn't.

Ofc not all maps are balanced perfectly through the differnt characters and tanks from both factions, but I think as a map developer it is the big goal to create something where both teams have the same chances, so both teams can have as much fun as possible.

Edited by Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff
6 hours ago, CoreDefender said:

You would need to get the main servers to add more of them, but they probably won't because most players will have to use the IGDL to get them.

That's not necessarily the case. We have setup the download system that downloads at a more normal speed. However, there is light compiling, which people may think is a bug or whatever and exit the game. Also, we don't have a 100% working way to force downloads of maps. IE: Map ends, people choose Outposts. Everyone who doesn't have it then is disconnected from the server. The only way I can think of making this work is adding the map files in some packages and attaching it on a mutator. However, this would increase loading time for players and I am not sure how it would affect the ability of some people to join.

Guest Gliven

@Sarah! I'm not asking for myself. Im asking if the devs could implement a system to force the download upon map change if a player is kicked for not having the map. Or am i asking too much?

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Gliven said:

@Sarah! I'm not asking for myself. Im asking if the devs could implement a system to force the download upon map change if a player is kicked for not having the map. Or am i asking too much?

I'm not extremely familiar with that side of the code, but I would imagine if it was that simple it would have been done already. It may also be that they have more important things to do, I am not very sure.

Guest Gliven
13 minutes ago, Sarah! said:

but I would imagine if it was that simple it would have been done already.

Fair enough, but someone has to ask the dumb questions.

• Totem Arts Staff
53 minutes ago, Gliven said:

Fair enough, but someone has to ask the dumb questions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ No question is a dumb question in my opinion. That's just my train of thought, I could be completely wrong :D

Edited by Sarah!
  • Like 1