[Shrewds Dev Blog] PlayArea Volumes

ShrewdTactician

So I thought I might start sharing some of the development work that happens between patches. For those people who are interested in the actual development side of things, this could be interesting, but big wizbang news and changes will still be left for actual releases. Most of this stuff will be from videos and info that gets shared to the team, with a slight touch up to put into a forum post. This is far from formal news.

Now that's been said, lets get on with it.

One of the known issues has been with the softlevelbounds volumes that are put on edges of maps to set off the out of bounds warning. As such I've been working on making an alternative volume to achieve the same effect, just with a different approach, the video explains most of it, so ill let that do the talking.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoy it when developers of any game put these kind of inside-look videos up.  Creators such as Rust and Factorio do this type of thing and it really makes some players both respect the work of the developer, as well as feel involved with the pipeline of where development is heading, even if the thing being shown is not of final form.

@ShrewdTactician Keep up the good work, and where applicable more inside-look videos would be great.

Edited by AlienXAXS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
8 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

@ShrewdTactician is anyone using PlayArea Volume for 5.3 maps? couldnt find anything in the prelim. notes. especially maps like Field (outer vehicle path) would be much more enjoyable if you didnt die inside the map due to "OUT-OF-MAP-TIMER"

I think there are a few bugs left in it, but I can't say for sure. I'm hoping the 5.3 SDK will have this 

9 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

@ShrewdTactician is anyone using PlayArea Volume for 5.3 maps? couldnt find anything in the prelim. notes. especially maps like Field (outer vehicle path) would be much more enjoyable if you didnt die inside the map due to "OUT-OF-MAP-TIMER"

yes. All maps for 5.3 have been converted over.