Disable Beacons in Small Matches

Samurai

Is there a way that beacons could be disabled in small match sizes? Maybe even players could vote to disable them. I used one in a small match and totally agree that that was foolish. We restarted the map with everyone knowing not to use them except new people joined later in the map and began using beacons. To be fair, they had no idea this was our rule, but still... What do you guys and gals think?

I think in small matches prioritizing base defense is key to victory, so long as two players stay behind in the base no single beacon will go off and the chances are the other team won't be thinking much about base defense. 

Beacons being disabled during low-pop times has been brought up before and really I think beacons being disabled based on playercount should be a server-side mutator rather than be incorporated into the game via a patch. 

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Madkill40 said:

Beacons being disabled during low-pop times has been brought up before and really I think beacons being disabled based on playercount should be a server-side mutator rather than be incorporated into the game via a patch. 

EKT had this, and it was probably one of the only things they had that seemed somewhat logical. Just seems awkward if you hit that playercount, then somebody leaves so you have a beacon you can't even place. 

50 minutes ago, yosh56 said:

EKT had this, and it was probably one of the only things they had that seemed somewhat logical. Just seems awkward if you hit that playercount, then somebody leaves so you have a beacon you can't even place. 

If you would just disable beacon purchsse instead of placement that could work.

• Thanks 1

This does seem logical. This, or somehow make beacons scale in time or damage or something, based on playercount. Honestly, I always liked scaling damages based on playercount, but while it's hard to argue it for the rest of the game, it's impossible to argue it here because disabled beacon purchase in 6v6 or less sounds simply superior.

What about c4 damage though? That's honestly even more obnoxious, even with proxymines, in small games. Really, I still believe in the latest answer to small games: Have an adapting maprotation use small maps for small games and add larger maps for larger games.

Map rotation based on playercount, would fix beacons, mct-c4, and generally lack of any interest in gameplay, for 1v1-6v6 playercounts

In small matches, I generally ask in all chat for a gentleman's agreement of no beacons. Most of the time all agree, when it isn't,  we play total chaotic war. I'm my experience this has been good enough. Most respect and agree that beacons are just unfair/too easy in small player number matches. I would encourage everyone to try this method. 

• Like 1

The timer doesn't really make a difference if you ask me. 

When you play 6 vs 6 and one person with an APC plants a beacon you will have a hard time reaching it. It is offcourse easier if you (allready) have vehicles, but once you need to to buy one it will take too much time. Same goes for when you have a beacon and an SBH had the beacon planted cause than you cannot leave your vehicle. 

A (voteable) disable option is fine to me. Above a certain amount of ppl the beacon should auto activate, for example about 10 vs 10.

• Like 2