Game mode suggestion

Mishqutin

Not stupid at all, in fact there was a Renegade mod called Sole Survivor which had this gamemode. You had to protect the MCV until it reached its destination. It also had a capture the Mobius mode, Domination and CTF. More than 10 years ago archived all of its installer files in case somebody ever interested in how it worked.

Edited by Radeon3
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree, some variation from box standard C&C mode could be great fun!

A few things might be possible just with some clever level editing:

E.g. you could put the Refinery and TibField navigation points far apart, and block some paths in between to force the Harvester to follow a certain route.

Also, you don't have to place every building on the map ;) combined with VehicleFactories you can create Siege and Defense scenarios.

We also have capturable MCTs. :)

You can spawn bots in Kismet and give them orders like "enter vehicle",  "Move to" etc.

There is already a good amount of tools at your fingertips!

I guess the main difficulty at the moment is to tell the game about a "custom" victory condition, other than time limit or base destruction; i.e. when to end the game and who has won.

And the other, probably bigger, issue is gameplay balance for both teams in a new gamemode :P

So, if you have some ideas, just give the SDK a go and see what you can come up with or build yourself !

Or just share your ideas for someone else to try and implement them!

At some point, I would actually like to write some new Kismet nodes that allow you to trigger certain game mode events, victory conditions etc. to make tbose things "easier" for fustom maps ;)

(these things should be possible, this is the UDK after all) 

but few will actually take on the idea since few only know so much.... lack of resources? lack of knowledge? add laziness in there and real life problems.  I am starting to think that some things require a team to think as one.  

I'm open to this idea and would love to expand on it for one because this was my temple of nod idea.  combined with my mass set of C&C3 models and whoever else wants to do things speak now or forever hold your peace/piece/peas.  

45 minutes ago, Veyron said:

but few will actually take on the idea since few only know so much.... lack of resources? lack of knowledge? add laziness in there and real life problems.  I am starting to think that some things require a team to think as one.  

Yes, "some things" are probably much to tackle alone...

With C&C Hammerfest, I had some intentions similar to the above, but I also had a few months time... and still I couldn't get at everything I wanted to before life took over^^

Some ("personal") word of advice: try to break down your project into "manageable" components; in the above case, e.g. convoy movement, player respawn system, scoring, or in the case of assets, modelling, unwrap, texturing, rigging, import, uscript Setup etc.

Try to make a detailled to-do list, with every little step along the way. That helps you stay focused, work towards your goal and make real progress. Start with small little tasks, something that you can finish within reasonable time. And anticipate that things will take longer than you expect, EVEN if you anticipate that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstadter's_law?wprov=sfla1

Thanks @Henk:)

I cannot infuse you with motivation, but perhaps this helps you to regain and keep up the motivation and to finish your projects!

And if you need resources or have questions, browse the forums or ask people ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, j0g32 said:

Yes, "some things" are probably much to tackle alone...

With C&C Hammerfest, I had some intentions similar to the above, but I also had a few months time... and still I couldn't get at everything I wanted to before life took over^^

Some ("personal") word of advice: try to break down your project into "manageable" components; in the above case, e.g. convoy movement, player respawn system, scoring, or in the case of assets, modelling, unwrap, texturing, rigging, import, uscript Setup etc.

Try to make a detailled to-do list, with every little step along the way. That helps you stay focused, work towards your goal and make real progress. Start with small little tasks, something that you can finish within reasonable time. And anticipate that things will take longer than you expect, EVEN if you anticipate that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstadter's_law?wprov=sfla1

Thanks @Henk:)

I cannot infuse you with motivation, but perhaps this helps you to regain and keep up the motivation and to finish your projects!

And if you need resources or have questions, browse the forums or ask people ;)

damn I think this even helped me out.  Thanks j0g