Ragequitters

djlaptop

Just played a game on Whiteout where literally my entire team ragequit except me. I destroyed WF while the entire GDI team began rolling their meds and sydneys into our base, I suicide and call for help disarming ions and wondering why nobody's helping, then I look at the playerlist and I'm alone.

I don't play a lot of games other than this one, but how do other team-based games handle it when people quit and leave one team severely unbalanced? I know this is just a game, but this one thing really ruined my day, because the principle is bigger than the game, it's a statement about people in general.

• Thanks 1

Well, I wasn't in the game at the time so I have absolutely no idea what really went on. If it was a bunch of people in mass quitting, than a ragequit is possible. Or maybe there was some sort of server crash, or a mod/admin kicked off several people? I just like to review all possibilities. If you haven't read the following two topics, you really should.

So, what do you think may have happened after a second thought? If it really was say literally an entire team (like 20 plus people), than YES, you are most likely right. But again, there's a possibility of something you didn't see or know about. Was that a clan you were playing with, or a group of unique people? Blackouts occur, emergencies come up, etc. I'm just saying they have real lives, and they probably left for a different reason (they possibly have to quit the game anyway due to real world obligations). So if it was a ragequit I wonder what do they resort to doing with their free time off RenX, lol. Take me for instance, you never know when something may cut into my game time (like a bathroom break).

Mabe remove death count now already? Thats the time when swarming, and rushing with free infantry comes in place. Nobody wants to see themselves fail, but its satysfying when they finally get that important kill. I understand that many of you simply do not care but u r minority.. just realize that. And wat about giving that VP to enemy team? Fuck  it, ppl dies anyway. Nobody cares about giving VP in such a moments.

The game must be fun to win but also fun to lose. This is just one of many things that could make players more satysfed while loosing or being terrible, or even supporting ur team with repairs while dying very much.

It would defenitely move that ragequit-like mood to another level.

Edited by Axesor

We can't remove rage quits completely, it exists in any games that don't have penalties for abandoning games. People rage quit when a building gets destroyed. They just thought that it's better for them to leave if their abilities are limited when they lost a building.

A small step to slightly reduce rage quitting might be reducing the effects of losing a building. Maybe a buff to free infantry will always help teams that lose any building a chance to fight back. I never like the VP system because I'm always against anything that punishes losing team even more and while it is good that it encourages people to stop throwing their lives in vain, it also discourages people from doing rushes although this game is based on RTS, rushing and being cannonfodders as regular infantry shouldn't be penalized heavily.

With the type of game Renegade is, I dont think we could ever solve the problem of rage quitters.

There is no way to punish people for leaving a match prematurely. I dont think we would even want to punish players who leave. There could be multiple reasons why people leave other than the rage quit. Sometimes i play longer than i should because i am having fun. If i stop having fun, like i am trapped in base, with no possible exit, I just leave. People have places to be.

It is also the nature of the game. When you lose a building it is a massive moral hit. Some people cant take that, and they leave. A lot of people play games for stress relief. Ren is a stressful game. Losing a building or two is very stressful. So they leave.

Some people just cant have fun when they are losing in general, understandable, I mean i wouldn't have too much fun if i got steamrolled. Hard fought losses on the other hand can be fun.

2 hours ago, vandal33 said:

A small step to slightly reduce rage quitting might be reducing the effects of losing a building

This has been mentioned and looked into multiple times, its the reason why we can buy apc's and humvee/buggy when their respective buildings go down. I think features like this are a great idea. But there are downsides when you implement these kind of features.

When you lessen the blow of losing a building you prolong the game. The winning team now has less of an advantage that they can press on the enemy. VP solved the problem of having 24+ hour field matches. Every feature that lessens the blow that's added, that helps prolong the game whether that is wanted or not.

The only true way to solve rage quitting is to change peoples mind sets....which is nearly impossible.

The other alternative is to put a @Madkill40 bot on both teams. They will make grand speeches to boost morale. Problem solved. 

VOIP would also help out a lot. You would be able to communicate much more easily. If your team knew you were about to blow up a building they might put some grit into their defence. Hope is a powerful thing.

17 hours ago, djlaptop said:

but how do other team-based games handle it when people quit and leave one team severely unbalanced?

How many team games do you play that doesn't have some sort of voice communication? I mean q-spotting and voice commands help. But a lot of the time they are missed, ignored or not clear.

14 minutes ago, Gliven said:

The other alternative is to put a @Madkill40 bot on both teams. They will make grand speeches to boost morale. Problem solved. 

Ya team hath no fury like a mad boost to morale to encourage your enemy to know exactly why they cannot beat you and your fellow comrades who aren't going to give up just because they lost a harvester, vehicle, building or base! 

If your team knew you were about to blow up a building they might put some grit into their defence. Hope is a powerful thing.

I think is an element that could be worked.    The Worst, is when you loose a building and yet you know your team is about to pull off an equally destructive move.

Ways to increase team awareness of the overall situation might be helpful.     Encouragement from a bot is nice, but from your team is very nice.