Optimisation - what do the settings do?

rocknroll237

Hi guys,

First of all, the game is really good, well done to the devs!

I'm running a GTX 780 at 4K and was wondering which settings should be turned off/reduced for max fps. :) Overall it's running quite well but if there are settings that don't need to be on and have little effect on the visuals, it would be best for me to turn them off.

What do the Nvidia FXAA 1-5 settings mean? Is 1 the least amount of FXAA and 5 the most? As I'm running the game at 4K, I won't really bother with lots of traditional AA, but something quick and efficient to round off the edges would do nicely.

Should things like static decals, lens flare, bloom and distortion be turned off? What exactly does distortion do? Also, Ambient Occlusion, is that a big fps killer?

A quick breakdown of all the settings as a stickied post would be a great idea. Apologies if something similar already exists.

Cheers!

Edited by rocknroll237

hi @rocknroll237 ,

first of all: welcome to RenX!

RenX is based on the UDK which is an engine that can't properly handle multi core CPUs. From experience I know that a decent CPU is more important for RenX than the GPU. Usually: the more GHz / core the better (but not always).

• What are your specs?
  • Don't forget to run RenX on the nVidia GPU by default.

Did you test the different graphic presets? [you can set the preset to "medium" and still set the resolution to 4K. An easy way to quickly test various graphic settings.

Regards,

Sn4ke

Cheers Sn4ke,

My specs are 8gb RAM, Samsung 840 SSD, i7 920 @ 2.6ghz. That might be why there are some dips although the fps isn't too bad anyway.

I can do some fiddling with the settings but just wondered if drawing up a guide to all the settings would benefit others who might want to optimise the game. :)

For example, I've heard static decals reduce fps from elsewhere on the forum so it would be good to turn it off.

• Totem Arts Staff

Ambient occlusion is most often calculated by casting rays in every direction from the surface. Rays which reach the background or “sky” increase the brightness of the surface, whereas a ray which hits any other object contributes no illumination. As a result, points surrounded by a large amount of geometry are rendered dark, whereas points with little geometry on the visible hemisphere appear light.

uyLMx.png

Basically more realistic lighting on some meshes.

Distortion can be part of explosions and the heat stacks on top of the PP. (my guess)

For me, I just untick every radio button but leave meshes on higher, because I can't stand looking at ugly character faces

A common thing in FPS is to try and MAX frame rates, not image quality. This is done to increase reaction times, and mechanics such as bullet timings. I've always turned off all cloud/fog/light-rays/similar effects just to keep a clean screen so it is easier to hit my target. It is not as beautiful, but I do find I noticeably play better.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:34 AM, Psypher said:

I've always turned off all cloud/fog/light-rays/similar effects just to keep a clean screen so it is easier to hit my target. It is not as beautiful, but I do find I noticeably play better.

Probably because others players not removing the visual atmosphere (like fog) are at a disadvantage to you just by not having a completely cleared sight? Considering fog will hinder how much you can see in the distance (obscurity) with fog turned off you can see other players possibly before than can even see you. Good job.