[Map] CNC-Outposts

TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

Hello there people,

So I've decided to make a WIP Topic of my map which is currently in the working. I upload as much as I can for the series but sometimes I don't have time to record it and stuff changes in short time.

The map takes place at the dunes. GDI is located on the beach, while Nod is more located on the mainland between tree's. Both teams have defended their base with everything they've got. Fences, Containers, Nature etc. In the center there is a huge infantry path for close combat and sniping.

Follow my series on YouTube aswell (Don't forget to Subscribe if you haven't done it yet :))

593c57392c10f_Dunes1.thumb.jpg.a93ab7a4363ae4128497be3093a13cda.jpg593c573a99854_Dunes2.thumb.jpg.d245127fe10f3a279eee460d68003943.jpg593c573c5e6c4_Dunes3.thumb.jpg.e8d3cc45b37667f79938ea5e15b1c7bc.jpg

DunesTop.thumb.jpg.a41267708af71dc700bce0923766137e.jpg

Some Materials aren't done yet (like the tree leaves needs to be done because it doesn't really matches yet with the grass at the moment) and as you can see from the top-down view the main field is quite empty at the moment. Why is that? Well I haven't done anything to it yet :P

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Schmitzenbergh said:

Can you create a top-down shot? I really have no idea how the map is layed out. It looks ok from seeing the 3 screens, but I'm missing the overview.

Check the first post again

I thank you. Looks like a promising map. But I can't say to much as it is heavy WIP.

I would suggest you make a lot of height differentiation on the beach part for more interesting gameplay there. Another thing, maybe heighten up the nod base so you have the GDI base on the lower beach and the nod base on the higher green area. At the moment it looks like you've carved a piece of ground away to make place for the nod base. Blend it in with the terrain :)

Another neat idea might be to make a little shallow water part on the beach for tanks to drive trough. When shot you'll get those big *sploosh* effects :D

Keep 'm up, might become an interesting map. I like the environment!

• Totem Arts Staff

Just had a recording session for Episode 9 and I thought why not make a screenshot for it.

Dunes.thumb.png.7c1b8aaecf545da1c5aed695b4ba3a7e.png

The full Episode will be Online on: Thursday June 15th

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Map is going further in progress with a new name: CNC-Outposts

Why?

1. It sounds better

2. I think the map will be more about the outposts than the Dunes itself

Nothing big changes, only the name people!

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff
14 minutes ago, DarkSn4ke said:

when can we expect a release?

(or a pre-release for closed-testing?)

Don't expect a release soon. It's a big map and it is still heavily in progress.

I can't say if I'll do a closed-testing or not. Depends how I feel about the map at the first release.

50 minutes ago, TK0104 said:

I can't say if I'll do a closed-testing or not. Depends how I feel about the map at the first release.

feel free to pm me if you want me and/or T.O. to do a closed beta testing :P

over the years you learned much about mapping and avoiding general mappers fauxpas, but.. I guess you know that after hours of mapping you can't see / find your own mistakes anymore

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• Totem Arts Staff

Things that I noticed in the new episode:

Screenshot_(8).thumb.png.5698178a228c826ba4ea30261eb458dc.png

You could place an ion canon beacon behind the containers and destroy the Facility. That is like on Goldrush in the tunnels. Cheap and annoying.

Screenshot_(9).thumb.png.2d107631f4b0706fbfa12d5aa5b934be.png

You can add tiberium cracks on the rock material like on Cliffside. Would look much better.

Screenshot_(10).thumb.png.10bf4a1b6069ed889c7951732287e927.png

Same goes for the harvester.

59451fb2604c5_Screenshot(11).thumb.png.29a017cf4f5998b5f128ee74ce834cfd.png

What about the old Outpost is a big dumb? You could add some old and destroyed Tanks over there.

On the Nod outpost you could add a destroyed AC-130 which crashed in there.

Edited by Luhrian

Hmm, as you could tell from my earlier posts, I thought that the dunes setting was an amazing idea, so it is a bit sad that it appears not to be your main focus anymore...

I like the idea with the bunkers/outposts as points of interest though, but at the same time I thought it was a bit sad that the scene, you basically devoted the last episode to, is entirely blocked off and on top of this hill where players will only rarely see/appreciate it...

15057966-Row-of-WW2-bunkers-in-the-dunes

I think it could be very exciting to play in a maze of intricate paths in the dunes, also with a lot of vertical combat, because of many steep ups and downs.

Grass and small hills provide good cover for infantry - I feel the current scale of dunes is way to large. They are good as vehicle paths, but add some smaller dunes at the sides od the big ones ;)

20393064-sand-dunes-at-the-coast-of-the-

sand-dunes-and-ocean-in-the-netherlands-

4630692762.jpg

And you could use tank blockers and fences to block of vehicles (btw. there are already wooden fences in the SDK - check the Barrier Deco package ;) )

Path-through-the-sand-dunes-to-the-beach

Infantry could attack tanks from the top.

Sand-dunes-in-the-forest-P3_005010-1920-

And the other idea to fit your theme and provide landmarks could be wind turbines. Hell, you could even make them capturable techbuildings which replace powerplants ?

f0033215.jpg

Just tossing some ideas / insiprations out there, cause it seemed to me like you were slowly losing your motivation over the later episodes, and it would be a shame to see you abandon such a promising project!

Keep it up and good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luhrian said:

Screenshot_(8).thumb.png.5698178a228c826ba4ea30261eb458dc.png

You could place an ion canon beacon behind the containers and destroy the Facility. That is like on Goldrush in the tunnels. Cheap and annoying.

definitely too far away for a successful beacon placement (unless you place it on top of the containers)

• Totem Arts Staff

@j0g32 The Dunes are the Environment, but the Outposts are the main focus.

Don't think Dunes aren't there anymore :)

About the wooden fences. I know that there are wooden fences, but I wanted to give 3ds Max a try again and I didn't like those on this map. But those won't be in. Will stick to the regular ones and change the material a bit

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

@Luhrian I'm planning on changing the design of the bases because it's a bit boring at the moment. Also Tiberium tocks was on my to-do list.

I like the ideas for abandoned outpost. Will be added! 

Also! The weather will be changed because I don't like the grey light. I was thinking of a dawn sunset as replacement.

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

@Madkill40 Currently I have no plans for that. The only tech building at the moment is the comms center in the huge infantry path. 

But the outposts will be a lot of fun since vehicles can enter it. And to make it more interesting I've added explosive barrels and SSM Missiles which are deadly as hell if you are in the radius (regular soldiers in one explosion dead)

Good job, I like it!

The outposts are cool!

Thats what I imagine the Dutch coast might look like during the Tiberian Sun / Tiberium Wars era :)

But the windmills are too high poly, you should definitely try and lower them down, at least create LODs.

The abandoned outpost/silo/harvesters scenes are nice, but again since they are blocked off, I think you should rather put these details into actually accessible areas, and save on objectdraw calls where possible ;)

Keep it up!

• Totem Arts Staff

So a small, just a tiny update with an album of some pics. But keep in mind that not everything is done and final. I'm keep working on these areas I'm showing you right now :)

Feel free to comment your thoughts!

Spoiler

5954045d418f5_Outposts1.thumb.png.818a6135e376df710f7a57b669701407.png5954046499669_Outposts2.thumb.png.253964c0381e18842de02c3c161b4f61.png5954046bc367b_Outposts3.thumb.png.561b5080e519326669fb35ed4ec6da80.png59540473b5b47_Outposts4.thumb.png.42d4e70d961197426f9729dc6b233514.pngOutposts_5.thumb.png.aabf2df90b6f3813a4f251dc3322e6e4.pngOutposts_6.thumb.png.4d69ff03098df4c246dfbca9a103103e.png

(Yes I finally did something about the trees! xD)

On 24-6-2017 at 5:45 PM, j0g32 said:

But the windmills are too high poly, you should definitely try and lower them down, at least create LODs.

The abandoned outpost/silo/harvesters scenes are nice, but again since they are blocked off, I think you should rather put these details into actually accessible areas, and save on objectdraw calls where possible ;)

I tried to do this but the LOD's don't affect much but they're in! Since they are from a website and actually not really supported for UDK but a modern day engine :/

I'm putting in destroyed vehicles around the map to fill it up :) I'm not going to put in a destroyed silo in the field because sometimes it creates confusion for some players. I'll try to make the (accessable) outposts more damaged.

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Hi Guys,

Just to let y'all know the map is not dead. The map is only taking slow progress due to school and work. And it is a quite big map so I'm struggeling with making the Infantry Path smaller because it's a boring thingy to do but it will be done. I have already done much like optimization so expect next release a better fps.

As I said before I'm always open for suggestions and after the V1.0.0 release a lot of suggestions were posted and I'm trying to add these in.

Here's a small teaser of the next release:

Outposts_V2_teaser.thumb.png.17c92d96bdb7ed97b8c964db3a9d062b.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

For those who thought the project was dead....LIES\

I finally found the mood to finish the infantry path and now a new build is ready. The only thing I need to do is make a minimap and test it.

If everything is 100% fixed then..... well, you know what that means, right?

tumblr_ow0cxh8Dha1u1zdb6o1_540.gif

Here's a small preview on the infantry path:

Outposts_Inf.thumb.png.e97ac95be874fb676ca5e3bc84ef270b.png

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 3

Your water leaves much to be desired.

Use a different texture maybe? I can't even tell its water, it looks like gone off milk. 

Aside from that the map is awesome, although something such as trenches or sandbag walls for the infantry path would be nice. It's the only area of the map which looks like it hasn't been fought over yet which just looks odd given the map itself.

Don't be afraid to partially bury the wrecked vehicles.

@TK0104

Spoiler

Barren_Inf_path.jpg

just a reminder - add some cover / decor to the inf path area. looks rather barren
Base_Cover.jpg

you might want to add additional cover possibilities to both bases
Floating_Try.jpg

There are some bad "floating"  collisions around the new inf path entrance (mid field)
Windmills.jpg

the windmills lack a base and the texture is... way too shiny & sparkling. maybe add some dirt / twines? :P

first two screenshots are just a reminder. the map looks really promising, consider to add some of the suggestions from the community though and don't forget to remove your lazy GDI walls, GDI side of the inf path is way too narrow :D

+ fix the harvesters :/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Quick Update!

There was some criticism about last release and I understand those things. Like GDI Infantry Path is very bad done. Apologies for that.

So what to expect in next release? Well here's a list:

- Tunnels from Field to Refinery!

- Updated GDI Infantry Path, something bigger and walls going to get converted to Barbed Wire

- Small change on the Nod Base Defences

- Some fixed spots for Rocket Rushing

- Fixed bugs posted on the forums

And much more!

If you have a bug to report on the map, please put them on this topic ASAP! Then I can take it into next release :)

• Totem Arts Staff
23 minutes ago, ☢☢☢☢ said:

question: is that missile placement safe? sure those missiles don't weigh a couple hundred kilos? gonna need an exo-suit to carry that higher up one.  just a thought as I wonder aimlessly through this forum 

I can replace the missiles with weapons if that would make more sence.

But the same is on Volcano.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-45_Shrike
looks similar, although smaller than the shrike. Probably closer to 100-150 kg. No reason to have a couple of large missiles just sitting on a shelf to be honest, even if there was a SAM battery/Fighter jet sitting close by. Poor storage. If you want to keep the missiles at least put both of them on the bottom shelf :P. Or just leave it be, honestly, it doesn't really matter.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:11 PM, Gliven said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-45_Shrike
looks similar, although smaller than the shrike. Probably closer to 100-150 kg. No reason to have a couple of large missiles just sitting on a shelf to be honest, even if there was a SAM battery/Fighter jet sitting close by. Poor storage. If you want to keep the missiles at least put both of them on the bottom shelf :P. Or just leave it be, honestly, it doesn't really matter.

Wall hooks with the missiles in them or just have the missiles stood on their base, or they sit in partly obscured wall vaults or summin. But the shelf seems odd for missiles.

Like, surely if a missile is propped up by its wings/fins(?) as they are on the shelf then over time wouldn't those bend out of shape even just a little bit and then they wouldn't be as effective travelling through the air when fired? Y'know, if that's how it works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Rendering V1.2 at the moment! Expect a release tomorrow!

EDIT: Map is going to be postponed to December 27th. Found some bugs that needs to be fixed.

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Update.png.edf0ade305272def63b92ede59a7c945.png

Hey guys,

maybe some of you guys know I'm still working hard on a new version of CNC-Outposts. I know there are still a lot of things to fix and to add but I'm trying as hard as I can.

So, some additions in the upcoming version were already done BEFORE the current version got into the game. I decided not to release anything before the 5.3 release and stick to the version we have now so I could see everything came out.

First of all, I've heard people saying: "Okay people, time to set FogDensity to 0", which gives me the feeling people don't like the lighting. So after I heard these things I re-did the complete lighting + the post processing. And the water doesn't look invisible anymore or "milky".

Spoiler

Outposts_new_2.thumb.png.1f3c7ee1444c773f98f362163b48a064.png

The most important thing I got in mind at the moment: Balance!. Currently Nod rules with Stealth Tanks in the map since it's open and whole field is accessable. In the upcoming release the Outposts are completely closed for Vehicles and only accessable by foot. Also, GDI has a hard time when the Guard Tower's are down. I've seen a lot of people camping the base when their GT's are down. That's why I decided to add the Adv. Guard Tower and the Obelisk to give the players more freedom.

Spoiler

Outposts_new_1.thumb.png.7286a29646d9323671edc0c7e04f06b2.png

Another thing: Entering the Infantry Path takes very long. Since this map is big and I want to make sure players get safe into the infantry path, I've created a new road from the base to the infantry path that can be used. It is very handy for infantry (* cough* sneaking * cough* )

Spoiler

Outposts_new_3.thumb.png.b1d15cdb03dff0d8aab6c5b73c6ea798.png

And of course even more things are changed , but that will remain a secret 'till the actual release! :)

People are crying for Aircraft in this map, but for now there is no actual plan to add that. I WILL make a prototype version with aircraft in the future and let people actually test it they can give feedback and all.

I hope I informed you guys enough for now! If you have something you want to see to be changed, sent me a private message in the RenX Forums or on Discord.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Progress of this map keeps going on and on but right now I have a serious issue which appears to have been unsolved in version 1.0.0: The water is flickering.

I don't know what's causing it and I don't know how to fix it. I'm very screwed!

EDIT of 03/12/2018: Got fixed. Thx to Kenz for helping me out. I just made some very nasty faults...

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

So, all reported bugs are fixed. And the bug I was so mad about is fixed too, which makes life much more enjoyable again. I've enabled some stuff again that was disabled because I thought that was causing it. xD

Small Teaser on next version:

Outposts_new.thumb.png.47fbeb868647e707fcba6bbe6fce3fdc.png

• Like 1