Temple of Nod(autocad)

[B]Veyron

the way I've done it I skinned it in maya and then transferred everything over into UDK so there's no unwrapping done bc I'm having a hard time following the tuts.  I think it seems  like i'll have to extract the texture file and then re-apply it in maya?

and I know.  and I'm the only one who gets to play with it hehehe

Edited by [B]Veyron

I'm also thinking the interior is the same as the exterior texture all around.  Where I was basing my interior off the other interior rendered version when in reality the texture is the same.

Also the size is the "true" size or rather approx. but could be shortened to a temple for ants.  OR we can make the temple the center of attention in a map or gamemode like a few people have said.

outsideinside.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron
backwards meanings

I understand that if the building is purely scenery but if it was to be at a playable scale (scripted building) it would be more practical to be shrunk down.

Technically, the Barracks shouldn't be nearly as big as the refinery but it is because practicality dictates this. The temple should remain the biggest building but maybe not that much bigger? Scaling it's total length and width down would benefit the metal.mesh texture as well, the closer it can remain to its original height by comparison would keep that cinematic example.

Have the original and a scaled down version by all means, the scaled down one could could just be dubbed 'Temple of Nod Shrine' and be made into an actual building with a health/armour bar and MCT.

Edited by Madkill40

9 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

I understand that if the building is purely scenery but if it was to be at a playable scale (scripted building) it would be more practical to be shrunk down.

Technically, the Barracks shouldn't be nearly as big as the refinery but it is because practicality dictates this. The temple should remain the biggest building but maybe not that much bigger? Scaling it's total length and width down would benefit the metal.mesh texture as well, the closer it can remain to its original height by comparison would keep that cinematic example.

Have the original and a scaled down version by all means, the scaled down one could could just be dubbed 'Temple of Nod Shrine' and be made into an actual building with a health/armour bar and MCT.

yes I see what you mean.  and that would benefit too.  damn keep piling this work load.  It's ok though I'm glad a good majority think it's phenom.  I'll keep the pics coming as progress continues some are wallpaper worthy!

• Like 1

snippet of some assets.  TVs, landing pad, Giant TV, red carpet in the center isle, and spike display/ring.  I didn't want to do cones for the spikes just kinda because so I left it at small cylinder and pyramids for the display. 

One thing I realized when I inserted the temple into UDK was I was able to shoot it and place c4 on it but could still walk through it as if it has collision but it doesn't. 

templeint.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron

and here's what I've done with the "mesh" split it so it'll fit together like a puzzle.  likely I will split the assets too (giant tv, TVs, carpet, spikes, and side doors/windows? whatever they are I still have yet to do as of now) after that I think the interior will be done will just need a re-skin and then I will be moving on with the nuke silo in the back.  should be easier now that I've split it up.

manymeshes.jpg

• Like 1

At this point I'm finished with the main set.  the pics describe itself but it's split up into 5 different parts: what's the best way to combine these parts together other than one whole mesh or is there?

sorry for the white shit.  Yes I've added my stain glass :) also the small TV's I had the idea of inserting propaganda (Peace, Unity, Power(?)) from what we see in the cutscenes when the GDI spy enters.  The big set of Tv's I was thinking the same thing aswell but I don't know how to go abouts doing that yet so instead you get random C&C internet pics from google.  I'd like to update those screens with my own Tiberian dawn online games.

Enjoy.  Oh! and CRT TV's :) for your 1995 viewing pleasure

nod1.jpg

nod2.jpg

nod3.jpg

nod4.jpg

nod5.jpg

nod6.jpg

nod7.jpg

nod8.jpg

nod9.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 2

need an opinion.  @Madkill40 I re-did the texture, it's like the type of marble you'd find on a coffee table or something.  I did the TV's too but I think the TVs themselves are a bit small? re-skinned the walkway, the floor and darkened the exterior a bit you'll easily see the changes I ran over. 

Mammy for scale.

do things look better with an actual texture and not just colour? seems so ..

anotherempleshot.jpg

templeintshot.jpg

templeshotagain.jpg

Templetesting.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 2

Can you make the texture so each word is individual? that texture I can use for the small TVs but I want the inconsistency on each TV different word for each one

will post pics later on today but I'm trying to keep the door frame and stain glass frame inside the door separate textures but most likely I will texture the door frame with the marble but i'll play around and post photos

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 1

am I able to animate a repeat of those images on the screens? kind of like the colour animations.

also I came up with this design but it's not too late to scrap it.  I thought of other rooms people can pass through but it might be too much? I can continue on here or I can make it so the ramps are in the rooms the stain glass doors lead into and then follow into the silo area like I've already done.  I did a cross section of the silo part to make it easier to work with and I can add a few assets in there as well

TempleSilo.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 1

not sure what you mean. 

but here's more pictures! I have found out how to add collision in maya and did a test run which was successful but here's Part 2 of the Temple.  The evil Lair.  It is supposed to be the last scene where Kane oversees one of his employees execute another employee.  I've shifted somethings around since this picture but you get idea.   It connects and is accessed via the back of the Temple. 

templepart2.jpg

tmplepart2.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 1

You've done fantastic work with this, it looks epic!

I don't know if you've done this or not, but I reckon you should add some upward facing red lights on the inside of the spines on the roof of the temple, it'll really give the temple that ominous feel especially on a night map. 

They did this right in renegade, but I think they should be placed at the base of the spines, where the spines meet the roof of the temple, and act as fixed spot lights angled upward.

If that's not possible then the ones below would be fine

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUrvWnx11dV1Sn6pR0qcZ

In terms of scale, I agree with madkill, have a copy of a big one for say an objective based map.

Also have a scaled downsized version for c&c mode, where the building is destructible and has a purpose, but needs to be feasible to defend.

• Totem Arts Staff
35 minutes ago, sterps said:

You've done fantastic work with this, it looks epic!

I don't know if you've done this or not, but I reckon you should add some upward facing red lights on the inside of the spines on the roof of the temple, it'll really give the temple that ominous feel especially on a night map. 

They did this right in renegade, but I think they should be placed at the base of the spines, where the spines meet the roof of the temple, and act as fixed spot lights angled upward.

If that's not possible then the ones below would be fine

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUrvWnx11dV1Sn6pR0qcZ

In terms of scale, I agree with madkill, have a copy of a big one for say an objective based map.

Also have a scaled downsized version for c&c mode, where the building is destructible and has a purpose, but needs to be feasible to defend.

You just basicly use some lensflares in the SDK and voilá you have that effect ;)

But @Veyron is making the temple in Sarajevo, not the one in Cairo (one in Renegade) so it doesn't need to be. But it's his project so he decides after all :)

Edited by TK0104

currently having problems with collision it might be overlapping but my geometry in maya tells me otherwise? it's weird.  anyways this is what part 2 looks like with some added.  All is needed is the walls, lobby floor spot and the ramp right.  As far as I know collision cannot overlap and depending on what type of shapes are used.  I tried combining all of the collision meshes together along with all the floors so they were 1 whole collision and 1 whole floor and that didn't work either.   Also I am adding very simple geometrical collision as you can see nothing like the other buildings fyi mostly rectangles. 

ideas?

temppt2.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 1

I am not quite sure what I am looking at but I now just think a balcony which goes above the main hall which leads to the nuke in the Temples tail would be more practical than an entire underground side...

Simply because that picture looks like a balcony over a hall/bay leading to the nuke silo.

I am just waffling, you're making good progress and I like the details which shape the room. (The columns especially)

sort of what it is

Part of my thinking was if I make those stain glass pieces on the interior walls as doors then I have to make like 4-5 rooms and have some sort of application of these rooms.  It just grew on me and I had the sudden idea of making an underground complex which I had a few ideas and then I had in mind of players exploring the whole building and it just seemed practical to me to set it up in this fashion.

so while not completely exact this is what I was aiming at.  I have yet to add the TVs, computers, and the netrunner chairs.  I apologize firsthand because it's a pretty big room (Arty for scale) 5 1/2 x 8 artys.  Maybe I should make it smaller? that means more work! :( 

Collision works 100% and I found out how to change the opacity on textures in UDK*

I haven't done anything to the Temple as of now but I will be looking to do unwrapping(for better texture results?), animating textures(TV screens), animating doors, and I think that's it. 

anotherscene.jpg

bottomtemple.jpg

bottom2.jpg

morescenes.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 1

I've decided to remodel this scene to be more like the actual scene! it's been shrunk down a bit.  The next time I make an update I will try to have an order of animated textures, reskin, collision, all assets, and doors made and animated.  That goes for both part1 and part2 =)

Edited by [B]Veyron

update:  Having trouble with animations so I just edited the textures.  mostly just pictures here but I'm in the midst of adding custom collision in maya now.  This will remain the main and final edit of this mesh unless I can come up with something in the extra rooms because of how I designed each mesh unfortunately.. but my plan was to have infantry go through the entire structure and visit what it might actually look like inside.  Enjoy.

This is a side of the first interior where 2 stain glass doors would be animated to lead into a big empty hall :(.  OR collision can be added here and can disregard the doors.

222222.jpg

this spot is at the very back of the temple.  the little doorway there comes from the big empty hall :( entered through the main entrance.  You can see the two entrances to the underground site.

55555.jpg

The main lobby.

tmepleinside.jpg

Side view

temple222.jpg

Front view

temple333.jpg

view of the dual entrances.  ( cheaped out on textures a bit here)

77777.jpg

Can enter the missile silo here where two doors would be animated to open here and  can also go around the silo too on either end. 

757475.jpg

You can see up the silo! Thanks to @Madkill40 I kinda also had the idea too.  Here I had to eliminate a good portion of the other meshes so this could work.

88888.jpg

The lobby when you exit out of the silo part.  The grey wall at the back would normally be a window to view the comm center area.

somuchbetter.jpg

But first you gotta go through these 3 hallways.  On either side too.

hhhh.jpg

To get here! Haven't textured these assets yet as you can see and I'm having trouble with animation too.  Normally all the TV screens would be animated with "Nod" propaganda.

insidebottom.jpg

Final view.  Troops for scale.  The room itself is still itsy big but it does the justice.  each wall is round in this room

nojpeg.jpg

This is how the building is done.  7 individual meshes. Part 1 - 5 meshes // Part 2 - 2 meshes.  

everyting.jpg

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 2

This probably isn't the way to do things but it does justice for me(*)

Also had the idea of using these meshes in a map and the MCT for the Temple would be at the very bottom and would rely on infantry rushes rather than ion/tank rushes but will save that for another time.

Edited by [B]Veyron

Looking good!

I am a bit confused how the interior is laid out, but that's probably a good thing :D

Sorry, I guess this is still all WIP, but maybe you could replace the "generic 80s space-station pipe-cluttering" wall material with something more realistic like stone/bricks or concrete (or ecen metal sheets). After all its a temple ;)

Take a look at what type of materials are used on other RenX buildings.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

seriously... what the fuck is wrong with @Ruud033 door animation at the current version?

I think Ruud did a very good job -_-

That originally there were too many doors and they were super awkward, the current version of Crashsite proves that exterior doors are fine but interior doors should either be non-existent or fixed open.

Edited by Madkill40

@j0g32 I am trying to keep as original texture as possible.  I don't know what you can consider that material to be maybe some sort of steel wire mesh laminated with road pavement so as to bind together? the building would be ridiculously hot in the late summer.   I can look around some more but in that sense I might consider replacing that texture completely replace it with what? I'm not entirely sure what other material this structure would use in place of it

@Madkill40that sounds like what I will need is a gif.  but what I had in mind was cycling through the textures you provided on a loop on the CRT TVs on the main floor just like what it was in the GDI cutscenes for tib dawn.  The bottom part 2 TVs I had the idea of using the security camera idea but that is kismet.  Doors I'm not entirely sure I can kismet the front door and that will be it exclude any other door( maybe except those 4 stain glass interior doors???) 

I'll finish collision today or try to by the morning.  I'll run a few tests and then finish the last bit of texturing.  After that I have no idea what to do next for this thing. 

I thought about tackling my other plans I had: Tech Center, maybe advnc comms, visceroids & mutants, and MCV, along with maps somewhere in between too which when I feel confident enough I will make another topic

Edited by [B]Veyron
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Veyron said:

I thought about tackling my other plans I had: Tech Center, maybe advnc comms, visceroids & mutants, and MCV, along with maps somewhere in between too which when I feel confident enough I will make another topic

for the love of Kane: please finish his Temple first :)

(and dont start several projects simultaneously xD unless you finish 'em all in time)

Edited by DarkSn4ke

36 minutes ago, Veyron said:

sure thing! the tga files didn't work maybe it was another texture I had along with it but it wouldn't import into UDK.  textured fine in maya but not udk

Textures need to have dimensions as power of 2, i.e. 128x128, 256x 256, 512x512, etc.

• [B]Veyron changed the title to CANCELED. DELETE THREAD.
  • [B]Veyron changed the title to Temple of Nod(autocad)