[Poll] Lakeside Flying

LavaDr4gon

Lakeside Flying  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lakeside be a flying map or non-flying?

• Flying (remain as is)
    • Non-flying (ground only)

• Totem Arts Staff

Simple question whether Lakeside should have flying in it or not.

Currently orcas/apaches are very powerful on this map.  Ground vehicles are hardly used despite the large field that barely anyone goes to.  Looking at the PUGs the strategy is the same and the team that wins uses orcas/apaches rushes.  There is a big open field out there that is hardly used anymore and could potentially host great vehicular battles.

On 25.10.2016 at 7:21 PM, DarkSn4ke said:

Remove building stairs or not?

Non-flying would mean that the buildings are in the same state as they would be on a typical non-flying map.
In short, yes. They'd (have to) be removed.

EDIT: Alright, fine, I got it I got it. They can have stairs. lol.

In addition to that I would like to see some other flying only maps as they were in the classical Ren, such as Walls. There is Walls_Flying and just Walls. As that would be very interesting, since infantry combat suddenly becomes a lot more interesting and no longer "who can shoot down the most orcas/transports/apaches" while avoiding to get roadkilled. Not to mention the importance of vehicles, of scouting etc.

Edited by KrypTheBear

Kryp I know that generally non_flying = no stairs... but it could be a map without orcas/apaches but with stairs...

and about Walls.. seriously? no.

at least not with the current map design. Walls_non_flying needs an only_inf_path (imo) and maybe no ramps at the side (or reduced ramps) with extra inf entrance.

because without orcas/apaches on the current design you got 2 entrances only... (yeah meds & stanks can easily climb the ramps, but thats not intended by map design so it's a damn glitch)

Personally I think instead of changing the map, orcas/apaches need a nerf so that they're not the must-have vehicle on Walls and Lakeside. They have the best base-killing potential among all vehicles, insane maneuverability (fastest vehicle to go to point A to B at any circumstance), hard counter vs any kind of incoming rush and infiltrators, best choice for beacon cover, and have decent survivability. But that's for another topic. 

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

Remove building stairs or not?

3 hours ago, KrypTheBear said:

Non-flying would mean that the buildings are in the same state as they would be on a typical non-flying map.

Mesa.

1 hour ago, CampinJeff said:

Personally I think instead of changing the map, orcas/apaches need a nerf so that they're not the must-have vehicle on Walls and Lakeside. They have the best base-killing potential among all vehicles, insane maneuverability (fastest vehicle to go to point A to B at any circumstance), hard counter vs any kind of incoming rush and infiltrators, best choice for beacon cover, and have decent survivability. But that's for another topic. 

Agreed.

• Totem Arts Staff

The ability to purchase flying vehicles is a toggle within the map in the SDK.

Unfortunately to create a non-flying version also means others have to download the map again, but with this toggle set to off.

Since people seem to struggle with downloading maps at the moment, I would hold back on it.

As to stairs etc, they are perfectly able to be in a non-flying map, as the stairs are an optional addition to the building (seperate to the building in the SDK)

Volcano has 2 vehicle entrances on opposite sides of the base, I think it would be a lot different.

How did the non flying Walls play in original Renegade?

About Lakeside, I think the big field is perfect for big tank battles, Flying units take away that fun a bit, but rushing with Apaches and Orcas is very fun on this map too.. For me it's kind of a dilemma. 

One thing done very well on this map is how the lower areas have a lot of trees that are good cover against Apaches and Orcas, and they are a bit like canyons, when I'm infantry I feel a lot less vulnerable on Lakeside than I do on Walls vs Flying Units.

2 hours ago, Snappy said:

If it was turned into a non-flying map, I think it would have a great Under/Field type atmosphere. 

And I think it will very likely turn out like Under/Field with GDI being the dominant force in the field. Flametanks are nearly useless on Lakeside, because of their low-range they are very vulnerable on long routes with no cover. Except of some early pressure, if NOD throws tanks on GDI and some stank rushes, GDI will dominate the field on Lakeside with meds, mrls and mammoths.

So if Lakeside turns into a non-flying map, it will probably need some adjustments to the field like more rocks for cover, so that NOD stands a chance there.

Edited by Denuvian

On 26/10/2016 at 1:35 AM, KrypTheBear said:

On 26/10/2016 at 4:52 AM, LavaDr4gon said:

Mesa.

Training yard.

On 10/27/2016 at 7:32 AM, poi ❄ said:

Lakeside non-flying sounds dope, so curious how that would work out. 

Walls without flying would be so good aswell like the old renegade had.:D

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't original Walls (non-flying) have more limited access to plateau top? Like, not having ramps to top? I forget if it had those sniper perches, but almost sure it didn't have access to very top flat part of plateau. I don't know how one'd counter infantry up there otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

I have already produced a non-flying version of the map, it is not available to others yet.

I want to wait until we have a full working downloader for the custom maps sorted before introducing it, although I may see about trying it out on a PUG one day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Fffreak9999

To bring this topic back to life with a new idea (Don't think this has been mentioned before):

How about adding the Helipad from BeachHead to both factions???

helipad.png

- A new building, wich would be very exciting (especially for new Players)!

- Lakeside would be set as "nonflying" in the settings -> can't buy Orcas/Apaches from WF/Strip

- Aerial units could be only bought through the Helipad

- VERY IMPORTANT: You can set the max number of Orcas/Apaches on the map -> for example: only 3 per team -> No Orca/Apache rush possible!!!

- Intense tank warfare possible

- You can still get the delicate taste of flying these b*tches beautiful, dynamic aerial machines.

- The Helipad could be given a MCT and make it an independent "Techbuilding" like the Silo on Snow

- Maybe make it possible to buy Orcas/Apaches if the WF/Strip is destroyed??

You guys/girls should consider this option because every time LakesideNF is being played, the server population halves... :(

Regards ;)

Edited by IllumZar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IllumZar said:

You guys/girls should consider this option because every time LakesideNF is being played, the server population halves... :(

the reason for this is......... @Schmitzenbergh

and some people are too stupid to download the map.

LakesideNF is an "unofficial" map... so not everyone has it :/ -> server gets EMPTY

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• Totem Arts Staff

@IllumZar / @DarkSn4ke

It is true that LakesideNF is unofficial, it isn't just that easy to get people to download the map, although most people now do have this map, since the launcher has improved.

LakesideNF Download link

Link provided for direct download of LakesideNF as a reference point.

As for the Heli-pad, while yes it would be possible, it would defeat the objective of a non-flying version. Many feel that flying on Lakeside is just annoying, and even if I did add the heli-pad, people would need to go through the process of re-downloading.

7 hours ago, Fffreak9999 said:

It is true that LakesideNF is unofficial, it isn't just that easy to get people to download the map, although most people now do have this map, since the launcher has improved.

Thats the problem of any map not released with a patch ;)

another reason looking forward to the upcoming patch xD

but maybe... LakesideNF is just not popular :( maybe.... the horde wants to spam Orcas/Apaches 24/7 :P

Edited by DarkSn4ke

10 hours ago, Fffreak9999 said:

As for the Heli-pad, while yes it would be possible, it would defeat the objective of a non-flying version. Many feel that flying on Lakeside is just annoying, and even if I did add the heli-pad, people would need to go through the process of re-downloading.

Well I wouldn't say that 2 or 3 helis per team defeat the objective of non flying. Let's say it's a nice addition that not much maps have (flying).

And don't you think adding more AAs would just drag the game longer and make it more stale? :/:(

I hope you consider the Helipad an option but in any case I'd love to see whatever you make out of this^^ ;)