Mining

lawANDorder

Mining  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the mining system change?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Assuming the mining system is changed, how should it be changed?

• Make mines a purchasable item and remove the limit
    • Remove mines entirely (see question 3 for replacement options)
    • Allow commanders to disarm all mines
    • Allow all players to disarm all mines
    • Add designated mining areas that must be added on every single level
    • Indoor Gun emplacements
    • Other
    • I will quit playing Renegade X if mines are changed
  3. 3. If mines are removed entirely, what should they be replaced with?

• Nothing
    • Some arbitrary door protector (laser wall, blast doors, etc)
    • Other
    • I will quit playing Renegade X if mines are removed

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, I think one should always keep in mind how and why such discussions arised in the first place...

In particular, if the arguments are just spiraling in circles, and each of the suggestions has its own pros and cons.

And that's why I would suggest to tackle one problem at a time, preferably the initial one, which was the complexity of how to "properly" place mines, causing overmining etc.

So why dont we simply indicate the "common" mining areas?

Just highlight the mining spots with decals/volumes and add some dynamic HUD/UI information indicating e.g.

"2/3 mines. Place more proximity C4 to secure this area."

Or

"4/3 mines. Use repair tool to disarm and relocate excess proximity C4."

I guess mines have their own collision  channel, which would be useful for the area specific mine counter.

What do you think?!

Edit: i shall focus my attention to @Sire's thread. Cheers ;)

Edited by j0g32

@j0g32 as I said, designed mine area would be one of the solutions. Not the perfect one, but defenitely a solution. Keeps mine placement procedure on the players. Then there are another 2 solutions, imo the better ones, becouse it removes a mine placement procedure from a players. 

If there was such a thing as a building antiinfiltration device since a very begining (2002) would anyone even think about removing that, and replace it with current chaotic mines system? I dont think so. I've been participating in discussions againts current mines system 2 years ago (maybe longer), so its not like it's just now ppl have "decided" that system needs to change.. this problem always been there, this mines system was always crappy.

Edited by Axesor
  • Like 2

As I've been playing recently I have avoided placing all mines at doors because EMP grenades mute the idea of mines always being in the same place, any players saying there is but one way to mine base are wrong and obnoxious at being wrong, if you're always putting mines in the same place within a building then you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm finding the republican whipping I get a little funny whenever I promote an idea which may only hurt the poor solo infiltrators' "fun", despite the practicality of green blips which constantly seems to be overlooked, I've even gone off Jeff's "Mines stuck to one place in a building with a simple arm and rearm function" unless those forced mines can be edited via the mappers discretion in map making.

What are the cons of green blips on the radar/minimap for your own teams' mines? [I'll do the Pros]

Pros:

1. Shows where your teams' mines are
  2. Displays where mines in your base have gone down, giving you a bit more time to save a building from a soloist, not so much if it is a group.
  3. Allows more than just one defender to be aware where the mines have gone down [e.g. If you only mined one building and hear a "Boink!", only you know where that is.]
  4. Promotes teamwork among infiltrators
  5. Encourages players to do more together
  6. Gives new players a decent idea of where to place mines, which typically is within a building but not necessarily just at the doorways.
  7. Could promote external, more aggressive mine placements which work in games such as Natural Selection 2 when you want to know where the enemy is coming from before they reach the actual base.
  8. Minimalist idea requires the least technical effort and could make a big difference for the better without changing too much within the game already
  9. Could be tested and trialed before going for much bigger changes to the 'system'
  10. The entire team can keep track of mines, not just the odd one or two people.

^ A lot of pros for just a few green blips, isn't it?

And what would the cons be?

Solo-infiltration is more difficult. Are there any more cons than just this one?

On 11/21/2016 at 8:57 PM, Axesor said:

^ unbeliveable :D I like how you try avoid to consider laser wall at all cost, while The only difference between laser wall and jeffs energy mines is that laser wall could automatically recharge itself after xx seconds if its not hacked, while energy mines needs to be always recharged manually :D This is literally the only difference:/

Laser wall makes sense for the Hand of Nod and AirTower windows because Nod are the ones that have laser tech in the C&C universe, it makes sense for lasers at the windows but not to replace doors or go in the way of them. It then only means Lasers would be engaged on flying maps where those windows are accessible from the outside. 

Edited by Madkill40
  • Like 1

@Madkill40 laser dont need to be a thing that harms, and it wouldnt be a replacement for a doors also (It would be just there when the door opens). It may only just give an idea so someone who walks by, that "oh this entrance may be actually protected somehow"..and then he will notice a panel next to it. Its nothing hi-tech that only Nod can use.

This thread is going in circles, and no realistic ideas to solve the shortcomings of the current mining system have been proposed for many pages now. Any further discussion about mining should take place within the development team rather than this thread. Thank you to those who participated in the poll.

Thread locked.

• Like 3

• Agent locked and unpinned this topic