Flame throwers and Chem warriors effectiveness discussion

sterps

As the title suggest, I'd like to discuss the balance of Flamer throwers and Chem warriors.

For a while, I've felt like they're OP, they're almost unstoppable when they rush buildings, especially once they're inside a building.

They seem to be preferred to take down a building rather than an engineer.

On Sunday, almost every game i played ended in minutes because Nod kept using Flame troopers and chem warriors off the bat, and made the games NOT fun at all, players were leaving and commenting on the balance.

I agree they should be strong versus infantry (Renegade they were UP), but at the moment they feel too powerful versus infantry and buildings.

• Like 1

At the moment I feel chems are underpowered compared to Mcfarlands especially after their recent nerf. The people who complain about these guys are the ones who don't understand infantry armors and throw remote C4s/grenadiers at them instead of soldiers or shotgunners. 

The only time I use flame troopers is when I'm running for crates, and that's about it for them. Nod's other basic inf are much more substantial. Engineers are also without a doubt much more of a threat against structures. 

I'll give the officer a go to counter them, however will this be an effective solution in the situation where flames/chems are inside the tight confines of a building and in your face firing? 

I do use minigunners/ shotguns against them, i'm dead in 2 seconds flat

Another thing i noticed, i spawned and almost instantly i was dead from a chem firing at me.

Not sure if there was a delay from when i spawned on the server vs when i spawned on my PC.

When you get an early officer your main job is to prevent that from happening in the first place, but even if they do get in you still kill them faster than they kill you, especially with refills

Shotgunners can kill both in one shot, and the fact that you can sprint shoot while they can't is a huge advantage

I think a Flame Trooper or Chem Trooper rush is to be expected on some maps early game. They are countered with some decent defense, but what I see is normally a bunch of players charge at each other and the match plays out. Just backpedal and attack from range, aiming for headshots, unless you want to try Shotgunning them in the face. Honestly, while these rushes may be a surprise to newer players, I think once some veteran are on a team they know how to easily counter it.

The easiest counter is have a dedicated defender sit in base a little bit and get an Officer, and then that Officer just guns everyone down. This work well on Islands where two officers can cover the tunnels, and the main entrance is easily observed. 

I feel that the units are more or less fine as they are, and it's more of an issue of players learning how to properly counter them.

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, SirMark9 said:

I think a Flame Trooper or Chem Trooper rush is to be expected on some maps early game. They are countered with some decent defense, but what I see is normally a bunch of players charge at each other and the match plays out. Just backpedal and attack from range, aiming for headshots, unless you want to try Shotgunning them in the face. Honestly, while these rushes may be a surprise to newer players, I think once some veteran are on a team they know how to easily counter it.

The easiest counter is have a dedicated defender sit in base a little bit and get an Officer, and then that Officer just guns everyone down. This work well on Islands where two officers can cover the tunnels, and the main entrance is easily observed. 

I feel that the units are more or less fine as they are, and it's more of an issue of players learning how to properly counter them.

I agree, 2 officers hanging back outside the tunnels can slaughter 5-6 Chem troopers before they can become an issue. By that point, the rest of the team will normally have killed the rest.

It would make a little bit more sense that a flame or chem trooper didn't hurt an MCT as much, that building damage would be a buff with veterency.

But is as Jeff said, don't let them get in the base. 

If it sprays, keep your distance, if its close and sprays and you're already free infantry and they're in one of your teams' buildings then shotgun them in the face by running pass them and making that big circular reticle be as close to their head as possible and then BANG. dead.

Rule of thumb, if a majority of your team is going in one direction and you're behind them, go in a different direction (to where your team is least present) with the aim of taking out incoming infantry, because the most effective sprayers slip themselves inside by not being confronted.