Prevent snipers from close combat

TheOlsenTwins

Hi,

As it is always kind of silly to get killed by snipers running around, could there be any solution to this, so that they can only target and kill effectively while zoomed in?

Dont get me wrong, snipers are important, but its just annoying when you get one shot by a guy that is using his sniper as a shotgun on the inf path. (also almost no other games have this kind of accuracy on a running sniper)

Maybe the crosshair could be jerking around (in all directions) while moving and not zoomed in or some other other effect, i don't care...

Snipers are important for hitting repair guys from far away, but shouldnt be used (at least not that easy) in face to face combat. (they also have a sidearm for that)

What do you think?

• Like 1

I think...at this point the best way to further balance these 1-shot kill units is to increase headshot damage for all non-sniper/pic weapons. This wont affect the one-shot guns as they already kill you and instead decrease their survivability, particularly in close quarters against other inf. 

On Dienstag, 13. September 2016 at 1:54 AM, Madkill40 said:

Their gun doesn't have a scope, so clearly they are balanced out.

What if a sniper rifle couldn't one-headshot-kill when not scoped? Cause, y'know, that'd be super easy to thread into the code, right? :D

Yeah, maybe just decrease damage significantly when not scoped...

5 hours ago, TheOlsenTwins said:

Yeah, maybe just decrease damage significantly when not scoped...

As in not the accuracy, just the damage, because the gun loses firepower when its not steadied properly... 

I actually like Jeff's idea more, raise headshot damage on ALL other weapons so we can all feel like shotgun-snipers. 

Edited by Madkill40
Not sure which idea is worse at this point

On 13.9.2016 at 2:38 AM, CampinJeff said:

I think...at this point the best way to further balance these 1-shot kill units is to increase headshot damage for all non-sniper/pic weapons. This wont affect the one-shot guns as they already kill you and instead decrease their survivability, particularly in close quarters against other inf. 

I'm really looking forward to all the hate Shotgunners will get. 

"Wow this is bullshit, I paid 1k for this unit and it gets f*cked by a free unit"

You would give @Agent even more of a reason to play nothing other than a shotgun lol

I think we should just decrease health on snipers instead of increasing the death speed of every character. Snipers are meant to be far away and not seen. so they dont need high health.

Why not give them a changing accuracy like a lot of games have? I mean that your shots will be least accurate when you are sprinting, and most accurate when you are standing still and you're using the scope. Maybe make the projectiles slightly bigger to compensate.

You can make the crosshair wider and smaller to indicate this, if you've never seen it in a game, here's a good 360p example: 

• Like 3

Looking down the scope wouldn't affect the weapons firepower. Firing from the hip should penalize the user's accuracy and recoil at best. If somebody gets a kill with a slow-firing bolt-action weapon with crappy crosshairs, I say he deserves the firepower. I am not a sniper-whoring guy, I get annoyed a lot too with these no-scope bullcrap but I am suggesting heavier accuracy penalty without scope.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'll just throw some old ideas:

Snipers - big spread while hip-fire, full accuracy while scoped.

PIC, RAW - no headshot multiplier so they dont necessary need to scope, but they won't be able to kill any full healed character in 1 hit (exept for an engineer and a marksman - as I still remember, these 2 have low overal health), so they can switch to pistol after hitting someone, or wait for recharge.

Or: simply remove headshot multiplier for all of these above... (I'd removed headshot multiplier from this game entirely tho :D I had much fun with my mutator that removed multiplier and decreased ttk to around 0,6s - 1,2s and 2-2,5s for snipers, depending on weapon. Offtopic)

• Totem Arts Staff

Seeing as basically all I do is snipe, after the last patch (the vet one) was harder to be close up and still get a lot of kills. I don't know if the snipers were changed then but it was harder for me. I get that you are frustrated that they can till kill you quickly but it's just good aim and practice imo

• Totem Arts Staff
On 9/14/2016 at 8:16 AM, Gliven said:

You would give @Agent even more of a reason to play nothing other than a shotgun lol

I think we should just decrease health on snipers instead of increasing the death speed of every character. Snipers are meant to be far away and not seen. so they dont need high health.

Then give us better areas to snipe from. most map devs won't or haven't done that

• Like 1

Good point with map design.

Although I would love to see slightly less arcade and more tactical gameplay by introducing more bullet spread when firing from the hip, higher accuracy when using sights/scopes, more recoil, and more damage per shot...

... this is probably  never gonna happen, unless there would be a classic and a realistic weapon behaviour mode...

I think most of the maps have good sniper points. Most of the sniper spots are pretty well balanced in my opinion, no spot is the ultimate sneaky safe spot where no enemy is able to get to, but there's lots of spots where you're safe from enemies sneaking up from behind or vehicle splash damage.

Of the commonly played maps I can only think of Goldrush, Snow and Mesa (kind of) that aren't that great for snipers. Which maps do you think should have better areas @Zephyr ?

(Only played the new Training Yard once so I don't know about that one)