Need help

Andrrick

Can you check if you have full permissions over the renegade x folder?

You can do this by going to the folder where you installed renegade x, right click->properties->security. You will get something like this (It's in Dutch so don't mind that):

Thingy.png

Send a screenshot of your permissions so I can check.

1 hour ago, Madkill40 said:

Run Launcher.exe as Administrator via 'properties' and see if the update updates the game.

Default directory for 'Renegade X Launcher.exe' is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\Launcher"

^^This. It should do it automatically, but just to be sure. It looks lik you don't have full ownership over the folder as a user. If this doesn't work, ill cook up a solution (Basically you'll need to change the permissions for your own user "Andrew Wood" to have read and write rights)

PS: @Madkill40Could you PM (Or just post them here, your shot) me a screenshot of your permissions as well? To check if they are the same as I already use a new version of the Launcher that doesn't need admin rights to run.

ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES [Read & execute, Read] Ticked.

SYSTEM [All] Ticked.

Administrators (Username\Administrators) [All] Ticked.

Users (Username\Users) [Read & execute, Read] Ticked.

And this is why I have 'Run this program as an administrator' ticked under the 'Compatibility' tab in 'Renegade X Launcher.exe' properties. 

8 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES [Read & execute, Read] Ticked.

SYSTEM [All] Ticked.

Administrators (Username\Administrators) [All] Ticked.

Users (Username\Users) [Read & execute, Read] Ticked.

And this is why I have 'Run this program as an administrator' ticked under the 'Compatibility' tab in 'Renegade X Launcher.exe' properties. 

Well, the renx launcher should prompt for admin rights. But yea this is why you need to.

Maybe the prompt should just be "Cannot start launcher without 'Run this program as an administrator' enabled in 'Properties > Compatibility'" instead?

Pretty sure this can be avoided if Renegade X isn't installed in the primary Program Files  (x86) directory.

Makes sense as to why some people get this and some people do not get this.

Edit: Yepp. I was right. 

OPVLEQ2.jpg

kIveOiO.jpg

Edited by Madkill40
Yepp.
  • Like 1

Double-Post: Wooo

So! If you are reinstalling or are a first time user downloading Renegade X you have two options when installing.

A) The hassle-free way. 

Install Renegade X into a custom directory, instead of the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\", 

Example: Installing Renegade X into "A:\Retro\Renegade X" 

And your hassle-free result should appear as below:

UGnvRZW.jpg

Or...

B) Install Renegade X into the default directory. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X"

Go into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\Launcher" directory.

Right-Click on 'Renegade X Launcher.exe' [See below]

MliaRCL.jpg

After you tick the box for "Run this program as an administrator" click 'Apply', then click "OK".

Double-click Renegade X Launcher.exe

You should be good to go.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

But wait. The launcher should have the adminrights request on by default. @Madkill40does your launcher not have this? you shouldn't need to do all that stuff you mentioned (Even though its nicely done)

-Edit-

The MSI installer installs a launcher that requests adminrights before launch, that's the sole reason I implemented it in the first place... To get rid of these errors while I search for a solution (Which is done and scheduled for next launcher update)

The only thing I mention to do is to tick 'Run this program as an administrator' and that's only IF you've installed Renegade X into Program Files (x86).

This is the case on Windows 10, because Program Files (x86) requires administrator privs.

I just downloaded the .msi via Downloads > Renegade X. It didn't ask for permissions, but I wasn't installing into an area where the launcher needs administrator privs so maybe that's why it didn't ask?

36 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

The only thing I mention to do is to tick 'Run this program as an administrator' and that's only IF you've installed Renegade X into Program Files (x86).

This is the case on Windows 10, because Program Files (x86) requires administrator privs.

I just downloaded the .msi via Downloads > Renegade X. It didn't ask for permissions, but I wasn't installing into an area where the launcher needs administrator privs so maybe that's why it didn't ask?

Sent you a pm to further check stuff.

For @Andrrick I hope you can install the game now. If not just post again!