New Forums!

Agent

Is it worth paying 30 burgerEuros per month?
Also, whole previous site was made in phpBB 3? Holy shit.

When I used phpBB 3, it was just to set up forums.

I can't imagine how much code butchering was required to make it into full website.

As freetard, I still think that it would be better to use Joomla or Drupal or Wordpress.

But hey, I am still happy we got new site. Thank you for all the effort.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

We're not paying $30/month -- that would be if we wanted them to host the website, which would impractical. I already had a self-hosted license laying around, and the renewal fee is $50 every 6 months for updates and support (which really isn't much).

And yeah, phpBB was tied into the front and download pages as well. I didn't even realize that until I put the forums in maintenance mode and nobody could reach the downloads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

PS. Disable emoticons, we don't need them here. [Text-based emoticons rule]

What we should do, is allow emoticons, but disable text-based ones, any combination that could be construed as a text-emoticon that doesn't make a picture-one instead. Why have both things, when disabling other people's things is fun? As long as it isn't my things.

( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ)    ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻    (ง'̀-'́)ง    (>ლ)    ಠ‿↼

Also, I know it's some work to do, but new SDK plz?

The width of the forums is now described as:

body {
	width: 1200px;
	max-width: 100%;
	min-width: 60%;
}

Which means the forums shouldn't be tiny on, say, 4K monitors (which sadly I do not actually own and therefore can't see how it looks on -- if someone could take a screenshot of the forums on their 4K monitor and post it that'd be really nice).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fffreak9999 said:

The only thing I find annoying is that the default behaviour of the Unread content is to send you to the beginning of the thread, rather than to the last post you saw or the last post of the thread

True, nonetheless I like the timeline of the unread content, cool feature!

Feels almost like a social media platform :-P

I  open no proplem new forum on mb 4-5 devices ..But I have this Xp PC that wont open it but use to open it (old Forum)

I thought  cleaning the temp int files would do the trick ,but it didnt. My guest is there is a new thing on the new forum (mb a script ..idk) that this PC forbid.

I dont have any message pop up ..only a kind of off line blank webpage ..other sites open as normal ..any ideas ?

• Totem Arts Staff

Sorry I'm late to send the feedback, but apparently all the fancy look and scriptings on the new forum, while nice and all, don't go well at all with my mobile Opera mini browser :(

Any chance you'd be working on a mobile version?

EDIT : Also, where's the SDK download now? (I didn't use the new installer if it's included there)

Great work on the new website, I'm happy that old one finally got an upgrade. 

The old website was indeed heavily relying on phpBB,  mainly because we needed a new website after the old one died. The old forum was also corrupted and we needed to find a solution so took the free phpbb, we'd rather spend the little money we could spend on devs! 

During old beta tests we verified connecting players by their Steam accounts which was a bit annoying as we had to keep track of random hex strings (Steam IDs), so we came up with a tool where people could link up their forum profile and Steam account to automate this task. 

The download page was made about 2 hours before we released Black Dawn so we could get an indication of the download numbers and all the devs were on Skype following it which was pretty cool!

Lots of phpBB customisations! I believe there were also heaps of references to peanut butter in that old code...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎09 at 8:29 PM, Xtractor said:

I  open no proplem new forum on mb 4-5 devices ..But I have this Xp PC that wont open it but use to open it (old Forum)

I thought  cleaning the temp int files would do the trick ,but it didnt. My guest is there is a new thing on the new forum (mb a script ..idk) that this PC forbid.

I dont have any message pop up ..only a kind of off line blank webpage ..other sites open as normal ..any ideas ?

Not That important But I still cant open the forum with this ^^ PC using Xp and I had try with  Chrome,IE and Maxthon.ProBably something on my side .

Did Reset to Default many things still doesnt work.

Here a Error message from Chrome (sorry its in french)renx incompa.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, Xtractor said:

Not That important But I still cant open the forum with this ^^ PC using Xp and I had try with  Chrome,IE and Maxthon.ProBably something on my side .

Did Reset to Default many things still doesnt work.

Here a Error message from Chrome (sorry its in french)renx incompa.jpg

Short and Lazy version because you're on xp

Try it with firefox, XP does not support the new crypto in the SSL Certificate.  Firefox uses its own Store for SSL Certs so it should work still on xp, but IE, Chrome etc, use windows SSL Store.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Unfortunately I've come to conclusion that I like the old forum better in terms of the ease of use. I've had a lot of times when reply box (and just about a lot of useful things in forum) just doesn't show up, mostly when I'm using internet at home. Mind you that I tried this on both Firefox and Chrome. In fact I would prefer it if I can have the option for a much simpler reply box.

This also disallows me to use Opera Mini, in which I can't even go to any page aside from topics without retyping the address or opening it from history. I also can't open the box there, and when I tried typing, the box is already turned into a button in the browser, making it impossible to type anything. I always open everything in Opera Mini for the sake of saving data and lightweight browsing, the native browser in my mobile phone is too heavy for me.

The new forum is certainly an improvement in functionality and visual. But the features are a bit too 'fancy' I can do nothing without good connection on a PC computer.

That would be my review.

On 2016-11-28 at 10:07 PM, Cronus said:

Short and Lazy version because you're on xp

Try it with firefox, XP does not support the new crypto in the SSL Certificate.  Firefox uses its own Store for SSL Certs so it should work still on xp, but IE, Chrome etc, use windows SSL Store.

@Cronus   Thanks a LOT !     Work like a charm B|