potential copyright violation

MBT808

Similar but different sounds going up in pitch as it charges, totally different sound when they fire

Also noticed the Halo 4 Plasma pistol Overcharge as well in that. Doesn't really change the fact that their using assets from Halo 4 with some minor modification, which could result in them getting faced with a copyright violation for using Microsofts property without proper permissions. In this case the Sound(s) falls under the Game Content Usage Rules, which requires they apply for a Game Content Usage License to use those audio effects in Renegade-X.

its specified here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/rules

plus they could use these sounds instead and have no issue:

*checks Old Ren video* *Checks RenX Video* ....... *checks newest version of RenX in-game*

Oh, they gave it a new whistle-chargeup OVER TOP OF the hum. Still entirely different. How did I not notice that, and why did they even bother updating it when it was fine last update? They had to have an interest in doing it, so they'll likely overrule you on this suggestion.

The whistle still sounds different from Halo 4. It sounds like a mix between it and the "Ricochet" sound from Fallout 4...

I'd like to add that it's not uncommon even for AAA tiles to use stock sound effects from libraries that are in the Public Domain. One example is the "swoosh" sound that the spawn cubes in Doom make when they explode; this sound has been used in countless other games and movies for all kinds of stuff. The hydraulic door sounds from Duke Nukem 3D is another example. So, just because your see or hear something in one game or movie doesn't have to mean that it's protected by copyright law.

I'd like to add that it's not uncommon even for AAA tiles to use stock sound effects from libraries that are in the Public Domain. One example is the "swoosh" sound that the spawn cubes in Doom make when they explode; this sound has been used in countless other games and movies for all kinds of stuff. The hydraulic door sounds from Duke Nukem 3D is another example. So, just because your see or hear something in one game or movie doesn't have to mean that it's protected by copyright law.

If you can find the sound effect that sounds like the halo 4 spartan laser charge up and the plasma pistol overcharge charge up sequence, then I would agree. However, unless proof is presented otherwise, then the terms of Microsofts Game Content Usage rules still stand and Totem is in violation and could stand to be sued and Renegade-X permanently shut down. I don't want that to happen if it happens to be the case they are using microsofts content, I like renegade-X(despite the balance problems).

Well said. Exactly. I remember that in Tiberian Dawn & Tiberian Sun, the soldier death screams are stock screams and these screams were also used in an episode of Goosebumps. Also in Red Alert 3 Uprising, the assortment of death screams for the Mortar Cycle are the same as infantry death screams from Tiberian Dawn.

In Tiberian Sun, the sound of the Recon Bike firing rockets is occasionally used in Batman Beyond when there's an explosion. So yeah, studios use these same sounds for all kinds of stuff.