Does anyone in the US even play??

Alkaline!

US Central here.

I've noticed peak times are 11:00 AM to about 5:00 PM (US Central Time). That is because I am assuming most players are from Europe, and that is also because there is just one "full" server. Every now and then there might be a second server filled with a decent amount of players (10-20), but if there is just one full sever and the rest are "empty", I normally don't bother.

A solution might be to organize the US players so they all join at the same time. The problem is that if one looks at the server list, he sees that it's nearly empty, so he leaves. Now imagine twenty people doing that - While they could have been playing together had they known that others would also like to play at around the same time. So if it would be possible to agree on a set time where everyone joins a sever and stays in it for a perios of time, allowing others to join and filling it up, even US players could have their games. I managed to do this once or twice for Mechwarrior: Living Legends, a game with a similar smal playerbase. However, interest quickly petered out because it's too inconvenient for most people to do more than casually join a hopefully full server ;)

I play but at night time i dont, because there is only like 10 people on.

When 10 people are on the game is too easy especially for nod. all people do is stealth nuke bases and i dont want to play and lose every damn match because of how easy it is for super weapons on low server pops

When 10 people are on the game is too easy especially for nod. all people do is stealth nuke bases and i dont want to play and lose every damn match because of how easy it is for super weapons on low server pops

Thats the exact reason i don't join any server <20 players. If i cant get a slot on that 40+ server i'll skip this day...

• Totem Arts Staff

Thats the exact reason i don't join any server <20 players. If i cant get a slot on that 40+ server i'll skip this day...

This is part of the reason why we don't get many servers active.

If players were willing to join another server, you can quite easily get 60-80 players on during the day.

maybe this can be resolved by a chat system in the launcher, something that could connect to an IRC channel, it would show how many ppl are in the lobby and we could organize a game :confused:

I also support this idea.

Sometimes I may keep the launcher open when there is a full game to see if I can get in once someone leaves. If there are multiple people waiting in the launcher, they may be able to organize a game elsewhere.

• Totem Arts Staff

I would like to see something similar implimented, a chat lobby would be brilliant or at the very least something on the lines of " X People are in the Lobby (Launcher)".

If you did a chat lobby, it could also take the players names at this point and prevent people joining as a default "Player" since everyone should be forced to take a name and not leave it blank.

maybe this can be resolved by a chat system int he launcher, something that could connect to an IRC channel, it would show how many ppl are in the lobby and we could organize a game :confused:

yes! who knows, maybe there are 30 other people just looking at that 40/40 server not knowing they could fill up another server. Great idea

I may work on lobbies (and possibly other social features) at a later date, I just haven't gotten around to it (and honestly probably won't). If I don't get around to that, then yeah, tossing a quick IRC client to connect to the #RenegadeX channel should be relatively trivial.

Earlier on in Renegade X, I remember playing some games where there were only a few on, and when I tried to Nuke, a message said ''No Nukes allowed until xx number of people join''. Maybe Nukes should be disallowed server side until a certain amount of players are on.

maybe this can be resolved by a chat system int he launcher, something that could connect to an IRC channel, it would show how many ppl are in the lobby and we could organize a game :confused:

I already had this partially implemented in the launcher for some time ago, but I never finished it due to other priorities.

You could login on IRC, send messages and see the online people. Still need to fix the message receiving part.

If it is wanted, I could do an attempt to integrate it again.

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

I already had this partially implemented in the launcher for some time ago, but I never finished it due to other priorities.

You could login on IRC, send messages and see the online people. Still need to fix the message receiving part.

This is literally the 1st thing I had asked to be incorporated into the launchers =p

This is literally the 1st thing I had asked to be incorporated into the launchers =p

It's on the to-do list now ;p

It's on the to-do list now ;p

I seen player-made atomshell launcher for PA build an IRC chat into the launcher.

Could look into IRC plugins you can mount into the launcher.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2016 at 10:28 PM, Fffreak9999 said:

MPF is quite popular at various times of the day, and they host an American server

I have never seen MPF populated except that one time when CT went down. I prefer MPF though since ping is only 60 for me.

CT seems to be the only populated server and even it will be empty when Europeans go to sleep.

• Totem Arts Staff

The game is mostly played by Europeans, but on occasion MPF does fill. 

CT is normally filled first, but all it takes is a small number of players to make people join a different server first and that server will be populated (I've seen various uncommon servers filled just because 2 people decided to play on a random server)

Just try joining MPF when you are on, and eventually you will have a good number of people playing on there.

3 hours ago, Fffreak9999 said:

The game is mostly played by Europeans, but on occasion MPF does fill. 

CT is normally filled first, but all it takes is a small number of players to make people join a different server first and that server will be populated (I've seen various uncommon servers filled just because 2 people decided to play on a random server)

Just try joining MPF when you are on, and eventually you will have a good number of people playing on there.

Yep I notice this too sometimes. This is why the game needs some form of matchmaking. If it's done right I bet we can play any time of the day then.