[Map] CNC-Tunnels

Henk

Continuing over here, because the map is now posted in the downloads sectionhttps://renegade-x.com/forums/topic/75046-level-map-cnc-tunnels/

Download: https://renegade-x.com/forums/topic/75046-level-map-cnc-tunnels/

Description:

4 structures per team

2 Vehicle entrances

1 Infantry-only entrance

0 base defenses

Lots of routes to take and open fields to battle in

Lots of tunnels

Lots of cover

1 Rock to jump over the Barracks' sandbags ;)

Preview:

13V3Tdb.jpg

Top-down map:

http://i.imgur.com/64QLfGY.jpg

WIP topic: http://renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=76494

Leave a comment! :)

Edited by Henk
Map now posted in downloads section, this topic can be closed now.

Looks awesome, downloading right now.

At first I thought this would be a really heavy infantry based map and there would 12 tunnels all over the map. :P

It depends on what you define as a tunnel, if you count the infantry-only entrances, the "trenches" in the bases and in the center, and those 2 mini tunnels in the center, there's 11 of them. But those small ones in the center are accesible to vehicles, and there's enough open space for vehicles.

• 1 month later...

From the WIP topic:

Might add some tunnels that connect the ruins in the field to eachother. Maybe also a connection to the trench/tunnel in the middle of the map.

I don't want the base tunnels to be used for beacon placements. It's already very easy to cover a beacon at the backside of the Barracks and at the Airstrip from the vehicle tunnel. On the other end there's the WF and HoN which both have the infantry only path leading towards their back entrances.

I'm considering placing GT's for both teams. Best way I can think of to make the bases smaller is by moving the Ref forward but the bunker might get in the way, and that's the spot I was planning to put the GT's.

I'm now making/trying out these new tunnels. Also added some rocks on the edges of places in the field for cover and flanking.

Don't want to add too much clutter for vehicles to get stuck on, that's why I'm keeping most of the cover for infantry on the sides. And I want the bottlenecks to be wide enough for at least 1.5 mammoth to fit through.

And yeah it's dangerous to go into the field alone, but not anymore so than on Flying maps or maps like Field and XMountain where there's sneaky lpng range infantry on ledges, behind rocks and bunkers everywhere.

I'm also gonna do some more optimization for framerates.

In the other tunnels that have those mushrooms I have a post-process volume that makes them a bit bloomy, and a subtle DOF effect. Going to add that here too. 

Don't wanna make it too trippy, that would get annoying :P 

A "Press [E] to use mushrooms", triggering a temporary trippy post processing effect would be pretty funny now I think of it.

Update on the shroomcaves:

0W7Rfwn.jpg

It looks a bit brownish, but that's my laptop being weird, it's blacker and darker in the editor and in game

And in stead of the bunkers I added something a bit more useful and powerful to the bases:

mPOBiQr.jpg

oqU2tjD.jpg

Still lot of places for infantry to shoot from, this was pretty necessary to make the bases a bit less vulnerable to tank rushes.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I love those shrooms. Maybe you need to make an extra tunnel to the ref so sneaking is still possible. This map is quite big and I noticed that sneaking is quite hard with those base campers...

WF and HoN are reachable without getting in the line of fire of the GT. When the GT is down it's quite doable to sneak, easier than on Walls or Islands for example. I don't want to make a back entrance that's perfect for sneaking or only meant for sneaking, Hotwire/Technician infiltration shouldn't be too easy, it's not the ideal way I want to see a building get destroyed, games should be won more by teamwork and coordination instead of lone wolves.

• Totem Arts Staff
4 minutes ago, Henk said:

WF and HoN are reachable without getting in the line of fire of the GT. When the GT is down it's quite doable to sneak, easier than on Walls or Islands for example. I don't want to make a back entrance that's perfect for sneaking or only meant for sneaking, Hotwire/Technician infiltration shouldn't be too easy, it's not the ideal way I want to see a building get destroyed, games should be won more by teamwork and coordination instead of lone wolves.

Yeah, actually you're right. You have to blame bloody campers. Maybe this will stop the camping

Added some particles to the mushrooms, and added some falling sand particles.

I've also made the field a better place for infantry:

added these small elevated parts to the base entrances:

LKiHqIM.jpg

Added this infantry only part on each side:

NrhnLLz.jpg

Also added some more rocks here and there, and 1 more tree by the GDI refinery so SBH's can hide a bit better from patrolling vehicles.

I've also redone all the foliage, because it got screwed up when I copied my landscape to make the new tunnels.

Minecart materials are done better.

Framerates have also been improved quite a bit.

I'll make a new minimap later today and then probably release the updated version (1.3)

Edit: here's where these new tunnels roughly are:

VCrFdG8.jpg

Edited by Henk
Tunnel position
  • Like 1

I'm curious how differently Tunnels would play if the Weps/HoN switched places with their respective teams' Refinery's, artillery targets change but infiltrating the bases to take out the Nod/GDI economy would become an easier goal, if one team tries to arty/MRLS then the other team has a chance to counter by attacking the Refinery instead of the more crucial buildings.

Edited by Madkill40

• Totem Arts Staff

I think the main problem is the vehicle price of the buggy. buggys are 300 while humvees are 350. Because buggys are cheaper Nod is able to vehicle rush earlier than GDI. This is what I think

1 hour ago, ThommyK0104 said:

I think the main problem is the vehicle price of the buggy. buggys are 300 while humvees are 350. Because buggys are cheaper Nod is able to vehicle rush earlier than GDI. This is what I think

The Weapons Factory produces faster than the Airstrip, doesn't it? 

Edited by Madkill40